E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Help! AWD Malfunction with 005DEC Code

05-24-2023, 11:53 AM   #1
SLBimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Help! AWD Malfunction with 005DEC Code

I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseam but I seem to be having a different problem compared to whats been posted online. I'll try to keep this succinct.

About 6 months ago I replaced nearly all the front driver's side suspension components (tie rod, control arms, ball joint) on my 2008 335xi. The axel boot closest to the knuckle was cracked and grease was everywhere so I removed the axel from the hub and installed a new boot.

After putting everything back together I started getting the three AWD, DSC, and ABS malfunctions. I tried to troubleshoot it by getting under the car and cleaning the reluctor ring on the axel which was dirty from axel grease but it didn't resolve the errors. I also replaced the ABS sensor which also didn't work. I figured that I didn't clean the reluctor ring well enough without taking the knuckle off the axel so just recently I got around to replacing the entire axel (making sure to clean the hub/knuckle with the axel off).

The good news is that the ABS and DSC malfunctions have resolved. However, I continue to get an AWD malfunction. It only happens when the car is accelerating/decelerating and the dash light will turn off at constant speeds or when stopped. The car drives completely fine without jumping or hesitation. I keep getting only one error code 005DEC from Carly which is described as "DSC: Transfer case: Malfunction".

When replacing the axel I noticed that the inner black plastic cover on the bearing was flaking/chipping. Some people have suggested that this inner bearing cover is magnetized and somehow integral to the AWD/ABS system. Before I go replacing the bearing I wanted to ask the community if anyone has had this problem? It seems that Captain Buumer had a similar issue that resolved after replacing the bearing but he noted that he was getting ABS and DSC faults in addition to the AWD faults. His code was for the speed sensor, which I am not getting.

Here's the link to that discussion. https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1728232

He says, "Wheel bearing has magnetic stripes built into it. Speed sensor reads square waves
where frequency is in correlation with speed. I think rust deformed areas of bearing where signal is now deformed i.e not square. ECU does not get proper square waves and triggers bunch faults, meaning it does not get correct data of how fast the wheel is rotating. Without proper wheel speed some ABS, DSC functions are hindered thus they are deactivated."

Please, any input would be appreciated. And, yes, I have tried turning the wheel lock to lock.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 08:25 AM   #2
SLBimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
UPDATE: I drove some more and the ABS and DSC lights came back on.
Appreciate 0