E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest > Need help in Colorado Springs

03-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
Neutrino45
Major
Rep
Drives: XXX

I'm driving/moving from Austin Texas to Colorado Springs tonight. I need to buy winter tires once I'm there on Saturday so I can drive to work on Monday in case the weather is bad.

Can you recommend a reputable local tire shop where I can get tires at a fair price and have them mounted the same day?

What brand and model of tires do you recommend? I want the best snow performance.

Thanks in advance!!
      03-02-2013, 06:54 AM   #2
llis
octane chick
United_States
Rep
Drives: ex-M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
Forecast is fairly nice weather. You likely have a few days to sort it out.

There are lots of threads on winter tire set ups. Most people go with Blizzaks or Dunlop Wintersports. I'd recommend getting separate wheels, keep your OEM wheels away from the gravel etc. you might find some bargains now we are towards the end of the season. And there's always Tire Rack.

Welcome to Colorado!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
richpike
Captain
Rep
Drives: MDX, LR4

To be honest, our roads in the Springs clear very quickly and I'm going to be putting my summers on in a couple weeks. But you never know and I like your preparation. Here are my two recommendations:

1. Costco on North Nevada. If you don't have a Costco membership, get one. The guys there are awesome. They only carry Michelin and Bridgestone, and if you are running sport package sizes they'll have to order them in, but they'll take great care of you. I'm running Blizzaks and love them, although next time I'll probably switch to a square setup for my winters.
2. If you don't want to go the Costco route and/or don't want to wait, go to Discount Tire on Garden of the Gods Rd. They are great too and can likely get any tire you want within 24hours. Just watch your wheels closely to make sure they didn't damage them getting your RFTs off. They damaged one of mine a while ago, but bought me a new OEM wheel to fix it.
3. If all else fails, go to Winslow. They are a very good dealership, probably still have snows in stock and will do a great job. The only drawback is you'll pay more.

BTW - check out all the winter tire ratings on Tirerack if you want help deciding what to buy.

Welcome to the Springs! Going to be different from Austin, but it is a fantastic city. Make sure to come to a RM BMWCCA bummer burger nights this spring and say hi.

-Rich

Last edited by richpike; 03-03-2013 at 12:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
16M4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

I always check online prices, find the cheapest, and get discount tire to match. However, they might need to special order snow tires such as Blizzak or dunlops though. Welcome to CO!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
Neutrino45
Major
Rep
Drives: XXX

Thanks everyone for the responses. I wasn't able to buy the tires yesterday. I'm going to look around for a set of used dedicate winter wheels and buy new tires for them.

Looking forward to the local meets.