E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Stalling issue

05-28-2018, 09:00 PM   #1
jmercmon
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Stalling issue

Having an issue with my WWs 2008 328i.

She reported to me that the car was stalling at stop lights and hard to restart. I checked the car for codes with my BlueDriver and found no codes. Car fired right up and ran great. So I drove the car the next day and sure enuf after about 30 mins the car started idling irraticly at stop lights or in traffic. Soon the car finally stallled out and I pulled codes right then it only had temp or not confirmed codes I did not get to write them down but they where multiple cyclindaer miss fires and it listed 4,2 & 6 it also said something about the cam shaft sensor.

So here is the strange part, I tried to restart the car and it would not crank. I put in park and removed the key fob and put it back in and it cranked right up and ran fine. Pulled the codes again and all were gone.

At this point I drive the car another 5-6 miles to my destination with no issues.

Later I drove back home and car started it’s games again until it finally stalled. This time I was in a little more precarious place so I tried quickly to restart and it would not I quickly put it in park and pulled the key fob and it cranked right up and exhibited no issues at all. Drove the last 3-4 miles home.

I have replaced a few of the coils before but they always stored the code for the cylinder.

Any ideas? I am thinking that the codes I did see are ready simptoms of the real problem because they do not seem to get saved and I am guessing here that the car is trying to compensate for the codes but when the key is pulled and a restart is done the codes are gone and that’s why it starts running fine. Just my guess.

Any suggestions would be helpful oh and it only stalls at almost stopped speeds. At any speed above zero it seems to run fine.
Appreciate 0