E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Tesla Model 3 already outselling BMW 3 Series?

07-21-2018, 12:26 PM   #111
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
What am I being obtuse about? This is the mirror quote from the article:

"Tesla is achieving those margins through deep levels of systems integration. By relying on in-house technology to do more work, Tesla is able to keep the costs of its third-party components low. For example, Munro estimates the cost of Tesla's rear-view mirror at $29.48. Meanwhile, his firm estimates that the rearview mirror from the Chevy Bolt costs $164.83.

The difference comes from the fact that the Bolt puts electronics and a backup camera display in the mirror, while Tesla uses its custom-designed onboard computer and large central display to perform the same functions. There's a similar story throughout the car."

So it is inferred that because the functionality of the backup view function is in the Bolt's mirror vs. in the laptop display in the Tesla there is a savings of $135.35 between the mirror in the Model 3 vs. the Bolt. However, the cars both have the same rear view functionality (it's Federally mandated BTW). So the article never discusses the cost of implementing the tech regardless of where the actual view is being displayed.
The large center screen is multi-purpose, so it also negates the need for separate readouts, interfaces, etc for a multitude of other functions. No speedometer, no RPM gauge, no separate NAV monitor, no separate Media center, climate control, etc etc...

The monitor in the mirror is just another component that costs money that is now regulated to the center screen along with everything else. Combined with the other aforementioned functions and their components, manufacture and parts costs can go down.

Quote:
Does the author of the article expand on how much it costs Tesla to manufacture (a supplier most likely) the central display?
No, but it is a shared singular component as opposed to multiple components spread across the cabin. So it's expenses are split with the other components that will share it's functionality. With a degree in manufacturing engineering, you should at least acknowledge this to even a tiny degree.

Quote:
I'm sure there is a shit-load of R&D engineering and expensive manufacturing cost built into the Tesla Model 3's capacitance-touch display since it needs to be extremely robust to survive years upon years of environmental torture from heat/cold cycling and vibration.
Possibly. But according to owner testimony, the fit an finish of the 3 isn't that great. A higher failure rate of these monitors might make replacement more economically attractive than a more expensive robust model.

Quote:
Also, I'd hate to see what that giant display does to the driver in a right-hand offset front accident.
As opposed to a HVAC, NAV or Media component? Or the traditional instrument cluster? Or the wheel? That's what airbags are for. If anything, the simplicity of the cabin might make protecting the passengers from the ONE component easier. Or I could be wrong and it's a literal guillotine.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 12:30 PM   #112
Rox335i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14' 335i, 17' X6 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeinBMW View Post
The F series doesn't really get my attention as much as the E series does. I am not surprised the decline in sales. Every time I see a E92 m sport side by side with a F32 m sport...I catch myself starring at the E92 more often!
Are you biased because you have a e93?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 02:28 PM   #113
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
The large center screen is multi-purpose, so it also negates the need for separate readouts, interfaces, etc for a multitude of other functions. No speedometer, no RPM gauge, no separate NAV monitor, no separate Media center, climate control, etc etc...

The monitor in the mirror is just another component that costs money that is now regulated to the center screen along with everything else. Combined with the other aforementioned functions and their components, manufacture and parts costs can go down.

No, but it is a shared singular component as opposed to multiple components spread across the cabin. So it's expenses are split with the other components that will share it's functionality. With a degree in manufacturing engineering, you should at least acknowledge this to even a tiny degree.

Possibly. But according to owner testimony, the fit an finish of the 3 isn't that great. A higher failure rate of these monitors might make replacement more economically attractive than a more expensive robust model.

As opposed to a HVAC, NAV or Media component? Or the traditional instrument cluster? Or the wheel? That's what airbags are for. If anything, the simplicity of the cabin might make protecting the passengers from the ONE component easier. Or I could be wrong and it's a literal guillotine.
I know I'd feel far more safe in a cabin without a massive laptop stuck to the dashboard. I'm going with guillotine.

The point is, the mirror is not a good analogy of how the (rest of the) Tesla Model 3 is less expensive to manufacture than the Chevy Bolt. Accounting tactics being what they are, I'm sure there is a way to model the production costs of the Model 3 to make it look profitable to build, but when all costs are thrown in I don't see how it would be. Musk is quite innovative, landing re-useable rocket stages is extremely impressive, yet making cars is a very well defined and mature art. Finding room in the manufacturing process to make it far less expensive to manufacture than other vehicles is seriously difficult.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 03:43 PM   #114
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I know I'd feel far more safe in a cabin without a massive laptop stuck to the dashboard. I'm going with guillotine.

The point is, the mirror is not a good analogy of how the (rest of the) Tesla Model 3 is less expensive to manufacture than the Chevy Bolt. Accounting tactics being what they are, I'm sure there is a way to model the production costs of the Model 3 to make it look profitable to build, but when all costs are thrown in I don't see how it would be. Musk is quite innovative, landing re-useable rocket stages is extremely impressive, yet making cars is a very well defined and mature art. Finding room in the manufacturing process to make it far less expensive to manufacture than other vehicles is seriously difficult.
Tents are also much cheaper than factories. Musk is innovative sometimes to a fault, admittedly. One thing you can't hold against him is for lack of trying. Tesla is still a relatively new car company. The fact that he is doing more than just reading water is remarkable.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 04:13 PM   #115
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Tents are also much cheaper than factories. Musk is innovative sometimes to a fault, admittedly. One thing you can't hold against him is for lack of trying. Tesla is still a relatively new car company. The fact that he is doing more than just reading water is remarkable.
Agreed. I have a like Musk/hate Musk position with him. Having a manufacturing engineering background and spending the early part of my career in manufacturing, I want Tesla to do, and be, the best. I try to buy American-made products (regardless of manufacturer) as much as possible. Two of my BMWs hail from Spartansburg. My Hummer, from Louisiana. Even my Honda MC comes from Marysville, OH. I think Musk is initiative, yet magical somehow to keep all of his companies afloat. No other American auto manufacturer bleeding cash as Tesla does would have survived so long and with zero tolerance from Wall Street. Ford's stock was as low as $5 at one point after the Explorer fiasco, and Ford has a hell of a lot more manufacturing and design prowess than Tesla. I'd like to see Wall Street as tolerant of Ford and GM as they are of Tesla. Tesla gets to innovate like he does because he gets a pass from Wall Street. The CEO's of Ford or GM wipe their ass the wrong way and the stock drops off a cliff.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 02:50 PM   #116
TeinBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Msport, Conv, Tech

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rox335i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeinBMW View Post
The F series doesn't really get my attention as much as the E series does. I am not surprised the decline in sales. Every time I see a E92 m sport side by side with a F32 m sport...I catch myself starring at the E92 more often!
Are you biased because you have a e93?
nope but I do own a e92
      08-02-2018, 10:51 PM   #117
E90M3JETS
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Tesla just announced that the Model 3 outsold 2, 3, 4, 5, X1 and X2 combined in June and it is true. That is an incredible achievement for an American brand to do that against a established brand like BMW. Actually the Model 3 performance is the only car I am seriously considering to trade my E90 M3, which was the last true BMW M car that BMW made before turning the M division into Profit division and placing M badges in terrible cars like the X1
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 07:16 AM   #118
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3JETS View Post
Tesla just announced that the Model 3 outsold 2, 3, 4, 5, X1 and X2 combined in June and it is true. That is an incredible achievement for an American brand to do that against a established brand like BMW. Actually the Model 3 performance is the only car I am seriously considering to trade my E90 M3, which was the last true BMW M car that BMW made before turning the M division into Profit division and placing M badges in terrible cars like the X1
I wouldn't touch a Tesla with a 50 foot pole, but that's me.

Have you seen up close the fit and finish of the Model 3? I have, and I would never pay their asking prices for a car that feels cheaply built and put on a hurry. That also extends to the Model S and X.

That and many other aspects of the vehicle and company that bother me enough to stay well clear of them.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 08:10 AM   #119
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Because no American brands are established?

How many of said Teslas were actually delivered & paid for vs just a refundable deposit with no car yet?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 08:37 AM   #120
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot95 View Post
but unsurprising i would think. what made the 3 series special in the past: heavenly steering? gone. manual transmission? gone (effectively, especially with upcoming generation). spartan yet functional interior? gone. tight proportions? gone. the 3 series is now a tech package surrounded by car
Like any other car in the market. Welcome to the 21st century and what people want: Rolling computers with 4 wheels.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
BayE301341.00
      08-03-2018, 08:37 AM   #121
zer0cool
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
Because no American brands are established?

How many of said Teslas were actually delivered & paid for vs just a refundable deposit with no car yet?
Pretty sure the numbers are actual deliveries.

I really don't get the comments about build quality. I am on my 2nd Tesla since 2015 and 4th BMW since 2012 and I don't feel the Teslas are of any lower quality.
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2018, 08:42 AM   #122
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
With heavy government subsidizes and other people's money you can certainly do wonders.

Tesla sounds like a Ponzi scheme to me.

Appreciate 1
      08-03-2018, 09:57 AM   #123
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Been seeing a lot of models 3 here lately.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 11:07 AM   #124
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

Just had a model 3 in the shop. the center control display is very strange, i kept looking for a gauge cluster. the fit and finish wasn't horrible. definitely not the car for me, but like others have said, its a computer with 4 wheels for people who are glued to technology.
      08-03-2018, 12:41 PM   #125
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
Just had a model 3 in the shop. the center control display is very strange, i kept looking for a gauge cluster. the fit and finish wasn't horrible. definitely not the car for me, but like others have said, its a computer with 4 wheels for people who are glued to technology.
I personally don't like the over dependency for virtually every function on the car going through the dash mounted touch screen. Even to pop open the glovebox you have to select a menu item.

Simple basic functions as the wipers, guess what? Another menu item to deal with.

It also bothers me how the doors should only be open from the inside with an electric release switch. Only the 2 front doors have an emergency mechanical release handle but not the rears. How that passed under legislation and common sense is beyond me.

Appreciate 1
      08-03-2018, 06:11 PM   #126
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ce-track-test/

TL;DR: POS
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 07:55 PM   #127
M_Torx
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

If this g20 is not full EV no chance. Everything is going EV and beyond very soon...
      08-03-2018, 08:05 PM   #128
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Actually pretty impressive for a car that really has little purpose on a track. Complaining about a Model 3's 10/10th track performance is sort of like saying a Ferrari is a crap Uber.

The list of M cars that haven't had proper cooling, brakes or spectacular track performance is not short.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 07:30 AM   #129
E90M3JETS
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:
I wouldn't touch a Tesla with a 50 foot pole, but that's me.

Have you seen up close the fit and finish of the Model 3? I have, and I would never pay their asking prices for a car that feels cheaply built and put on a hurry. That also extends to the Model S and X.

That and many other aspects of the vehicle and company that bother me enough to stay well clear of them.
My wife drives a model X and fit and finish is way better than her former X5. We both love to drive it and beating M3s in traffic lights are priceless. Not sure you are being fair to Tesla, but this is a BMW forum after all so people are not expected to be fair. One added bonus is fact that she now owns her car for more than 10 months with 15,000 miles on the clock and not a single dime in maintenance or even a visit to the dealer to change oil nor weekly visits to gas stations. I wish BMW would wake up and produce anything that could go head2head with a model 3. The i3 is simply outmatched and cost about the same.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 11:18 AM   #130
ShaneCal
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Actually Viasil benefits are pretty impressive for a car that really has little purpose on a track. Complaining about a Model 3's 10/10th track performance is sort of like saying a Ferrari is a crap Uber.

The list of M cars that haven't had proper cooling, brakes or spectacular track performance is not short.
Lets just hope it doesn't catch on fire lol. Kidding aside, Model X is a great car, no matter what forum you're on. I don't wish ill on Tesla, as much as I love BMW. Like you said, I wish BMW did something about that.

Last edited by ShaneCal; 05-19-2022 at 07:23 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2018, 12:26 PM   #131
pogiboi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e92

Long time BMW fan. Sold my e92 in April when I took delivery of my Model 3. Thought i'd provide some color on my experience.

Still have an X1 in the garage as our main ICE car. Loved my e92 but it was time for something new. Just wasn't a fan of the current 3/5 series and have always been curious about the Model 3. I was one of those who stood in line March 2016 to put a deposit down just in case it turned out to be a decent car.

The Model 3 is an amazing car. IMO, it is the best car you can buy in the price range as long as it fits your lifestyle. For me, I drive about 45 miles round trip for work everyday. I have a house where I had a NEMA 14-50 installed in my garage ($100). I leave my house every day with a full charge, I set mine to 80% so about 255 miles of charge. I usually get home with about 200-215 miles of charge left. It takes about a 1.5 hours to top off the battery at night. Recently took it on a short roadtrip, supercharging was quick and easy, my hotel surprisingly had a destination charger which allowed me to charge for free. The car drives well, sticks to the road, plenty of torque, great A/C (texas), great sound system and streaming sources. It's nice not having to stop at a gas station. My car has 2780 miles on it and charged 636 kwh to get those miles. If I had only charged at home at my electricity rate, i would've spent about $60.42 on those miles. My e92 would've cost me $437.85 in gas to go the same distance.

We are looking at the iX3 or Model Y in a couple years to replace the X1.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 12:26 PM   #132
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneCal View Post
Lets just hope it doesn't catch on fire lol. Kidding aside, Model X is a great car, no matter what forum you're on. I don't wish ill on Tesla, as much as I love BMW. Like you said, I wish BMW did something about that.
I think the model X is the worst. I love the S tho.
Appreciate 0