E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Custom Subwoofer Install

03-12-2007, 03:29 PM   #23
gichoke
Captain Generale
Rep
Drives: 18' M2

looking at the further posts for that e90 member, that isnt a volume knob but the control knob for a K40 hidden radar detector system. With the K40 that knob controls the on/off, and volume of radar system.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2007, 05:33 PM   #24
gichoke
Captain Generale
Rep

custom subwoofer interest

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50916

I posted this thread earlier today. If you are interested in a stealth sub install in the E90, please email MTX so they can keep track of our interest. The contact is available here and the post: mtx@mtx.com If they receive enough responses they have incentive to create one for us.
Cheers,
F
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2007, 10:41 AM   #25
Ccatznip
Cat
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Space Grey

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2004 330i  [0.00]
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
(off topic) i love the headliner!!!!!!
      03-14-2007, 11:14 PM   #26
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReusAudio328i View Post
I was in the same boat as you guys until I heard of Reus Systems in Orange, CA. They have a complete stealth system for BMW's. Well I went to check them out and their system is awesome. Once I heard it I got it. Great thing about their systems are that they come with a lifetime warranty. When my friends got in the car and I turned the system on they didn't even know where the speakers were. I suggest that you check them out. www.reusaudio.com Ask for Rick.
I've heard they do nice installs, but for what they do and what you get, it's pretty hard to justify the money. Most systems are $5,000+ and you get their live of speakers and usually a mid/tweet in the rear view mirror with a small amp. Many installs use the STOCK AMP!!!
That's a LOT of dough for not that much work.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 02:46 PM   #27
gichoke
Captain Generale
Rep

subwoofer removal

For those brave souls out there, I think we would all appreciate a HOW TO on removing or gaining access to the stock subwoofers...This would include pics, instructions, and observations and actual measurements of the subwoofer and cabinet. Listening to the stock 10spkr system yesterday on a long drive, I realized that BMW may have done something good in the audio system...what they lack is power and definition. That requires an upgraded amplifier and subwoofer. Unless I am mistaken, shallow mount subs start at 10". The question is can these fit in the stock speaker system? Or is this a luxury reserved for you Logic 7 guys?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 07:51 PM   #28
M335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gichoke View Post
For those brave souls out there, I think we would all appreciate a HOW TO on removing or gaining access to the stock subwoofers...This would include pics, instructions, and observations and actual measurements of the subwoofer and cabinet. Listening to the stock 10spkr system yesterday on a long drive, I realized that BMW may have done something good in the audio system...what they lack is power and definition. That requires an upgraded amplifier and subwoofer. Unless I am mistaken, shallow mount subs start at 10". The question is can these fit in the stock speaker system? Or is this a luxury reserved for you Logic 7 guys?
its actually pretty easy, i have one of my subs our right now trying to figure out how to mount a sub in there.

procedure:
remove 4 torx screws the connect seat bracket to floor
tilt seat backwards
remove 6 phillips screws to remove speaker cover
remove 2 10mm bolts that secure sub enclosure to floor
unhook wire harness and your sub it out
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2007, 12:17 PM   #29
bnj
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M335i View Post
its actually pretty easy, i have one of my subs our right now trying to figure out how to mount a sub in there.

procedure:
remove 4 torx screws the connect seat bracket to floor
tilt seat backwards
remove 6 phillips screws to remove speaker cover
remove 2 10mm bolts that secure sub enclosure to floor
unhook wire harness and your sub it out
Are those locations empty and ready and waiting for aftermarket subs for those who don't have Logic7? Or is there a tidy way to have an air channel from the trunk to the cabin (e92 335i)?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2007, 06:16 PM   #30
ReusAudio328i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Quote:
I've heard they do nice installs, but for what they do and what you get, it's pretty hard to justify the money. Most systems are $5,000+ and you get their live of speakers and usually a mid/tweet in the rear view mirror with a small amp. Many installs use the STOCK AMP!!!
That's a LOT of dough for not that much work.
Depending on how much you want to spend they do have different levels of audio systems. Since I am in the car 3-4 hrs a day, I did not compromise with cost. I wanted the best they had for my car and I have not regretted it once. The price you quoted is not for a BMW. That must be for a Porsche or Ferrari because I didn't even come close to that. As far as the setup you are talking about, I am not sure where you got that from. Some of the features that I got were 2 tweeters in the rear view mirror, 1 tweeter in each of the lower front door panel, 2 10" subs in a custom built box with 2 amps, and 2 fans. All speakers and amps were custom built. I will take pics this weekend and post them for you to see.

To all those that do not understand, don't hate. And for the millionth time I do not work for the company. I chose that username because I have the system in my car. I am on here just like you guys to learn and talk with other bmw owners.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2007, 07:49 PM   #31
lkraven
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I've spent 5k on a car audio system using focal drivers and high end "audiophile" amps, including full strip and deadening with spray as well as dynamat.

And it still didn't sound as good as my $800 headphone amp and HD650 setup.

And it still didn't sound as good as any decent $1500-$2000 home audio system... because the acoustic space in a typical automobile is so bad.

The logic7 is 85-90% of that system, minus the very low frequencies, for much less money. Diminishing returns very shortly, and the iDrive integration and everything else... it gets very expensive to get BACK to Logic7 quality, and then to go beyond, that last 10-15% costs an arm and a leg.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 04:29 PM   #32
ReusAudio328i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Here are some pics of my system. As you can see, pics will not show you what the system can actually do. I will gladly let anyone from socal listen to it so they can give their own opinion on it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 06:24 PM   #33
boggysv
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: A4, but riding the bus for now

Tweeters pointing to your windscreen?

How on earth do you adjust your imaging?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 06:54 PM   #34
ReusAudio328i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Tweeters pointing to your windscreen?

How on earth do you adjust your imaging?
These speakers give the effect of the soundstage being in front of you rather then behind you. Also, it brings the music to you ear level rather then on the floor of the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2007, 06:48 AM   #35
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 2010 GTR

Judging from the fitment of the custom panel they built in your trunk, I question the effectiveness of the locations they chose for your speakers.

Reflections are evil.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2007, 09:22 AM   #36
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gichoke View Post
looking at the further posts for that e90 member, that isnt a volume knob but the control knob for a K40 hidden radar detector system. With the K40 that knob controls the on/off, and volume of radar system.

Correct..

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2007, 09:22 AM   #37
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccatznip View Post
(off topic) i love the headliner!!!!!!
Also very correct..

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2007, 11:57 AM   #38
kyee
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i sedan

From your pictures, it looks like almost 1/2 of the trunk is taken up by that sub enclosure - is that true? The trunk is pretty small as it is, I'd hate to lose 1/2 of it. I'm close to pulling the trigger on this system, but this last issue is the sticking point for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2007, 12:19 PM   #39
ReusAudio328i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
From your pictures, it looks like almost 1/2 of the trunk is taken up by that sub enclosure - is that true? The trunk is pretty small as it is, I'd hate to lose 1/2 of it. I'm close to pulling the trigger on this system, but this last issue is the sticking point for me.
The sub enclosure does not take up 1/2 of the trunk. I would say it takes up about 1/3 of the trunk. I still am able to use the undercompartment storage in the trunk. I just went to vegas and was able to put my suitcases in there with no problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 08:42 AM   #40
quakerstate
Sweden
Rep
Drives: E46 Touring

Hi ReusAudio328.
Canīt you show us yor system and tells us what you use and so on?
The solution in the mirror , looks sweet.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 12:09 PM   #41
ReusAudio328i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi ReusAudio328.
Canīt you show us yor system and tells us what you use and so on?
The solution in the mirror , looks sweet.
Hi Quakerstate,

I did show you some of the audio system I have in my car. All of the speakers/amps/custom box are Reus. All the equipment that they used on my car was built and designed by Reus. I can tell you that I have my Logic 7 turned off and all the EQ's, Bass, and Treble are set to flat. The reason they are set to flat is because that is where they retune everything in the car to those settings. The fader is also turned 6 clicks to the front. I do have a bass nob and a fan switch which is located on the drivers side panel. The bass nob is pretty cool since I can add more or less bass depending on the song I'm listen to. As for the fan switch, I use it when I'm playing the audio LOUD and for a long period of time. The fans are silent so I never hear them. What I truly like about my system is that no matter how loud or soft I play it, the music sounds clear and distortion free. Another peace of mind for me is everything is guaranteed for life. If ever I blow an amp or speaker they will replace it for free.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 11:19 PM   #42
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

e46 Custom Install sub and amp with useable trunk and spare

I had a system installed in my E46. i was worried about having the use of the trunk and fold down seats and also being able to keep the sspare tire. This is what they came up with. Not too bad and wasn't very expensive. Pardon the condition on the carpet i had to move some things today and it has been raining crazy.)I also used the factory speaker locations but upgraded to better speakers. Sounded great, but the fact that they seal the trunk to keep road noise out of the cabin did lessen the effect of the sub. When the seat was folded down it became a port and the whole trunk was the box that made some noise. Hope this helps or gives someone an idea of what they can do.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0