E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > iPod MOST Interface - After 1 week

01-30-2007, 05:41 PM   #1
AlpinE90
Rep
Drives: E90 Alpine White

iPod MOST Interface - After 1 week

For my purposes, this is a good solution - with a few drawbacks.

1) There is a upper limit to the number of Artists / Albums that can be displayed. I only get to the P's for artists...

2) Using iDrive to navigate Artists / Albums is painfully slow.

3) The "random" function is not preserved when you turn the car off. This is easily fixed by pressing the voice command button and saying "Random"... All other settings seem to be preserved - current playlist and track.

4) When you select the "next" track, it goes to the next track in the current list - regardless of the random setting.

So, if all you want is to listen to playlists, it is a pretty good solution. As this is all I ever do anyway, I like the solution better that the AUX cable. If you want to use iDrive to navigate anything but playlists, you will probably be disappointed. It is annoying to have to reset the random function. I was pretty ticked about this until I figured out I could use the voice command...
      01-30-2007, 11:50 PM   #2
MBrown1003
Eight Bimmers and counting
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpinE90 View Post
For my purposes, this is a good solution - with a few drawbacks.

1) There is a upper limit to the number of Artists / Albums that can be displayed. I only get to the P's for artists...

2) Using iDrive to navigate Artists / Albums is painfully slow.

3) The "random" function is not preserved when you turn the car off. This is easily fixed by pressing the voice command button and saying "Random"... All other settings seem to be preserved - current playlist and track.

4) When you select the "next" track, it goes to the next track in the current list - regardless of the random setting.

So, if all you want is to listen to playlists, it is a pretty good solution. As this is all I ever do anyway, I like the solution better that the AUX cable. If you want to use iDrive to navigate anything but playlists, you will probably be disappointed. It is annoying to have to reset the random function. I was pretty ticked about this until I figured out I could use the voice command...
The iPod interface has been the only disappointment on my E92. Sound quality is great, but I have about 1900 songs on my iPod, and it's completely unusable except for playlists. (And I only have a few playlists defined.) Genres are borderline. Artist, album, or song are just hopeless.

I wonder if the issue is the iPod, the car, or the features exposed in the Apple interface. Whichever, I'm pretty disappointed in its lousy UI when the iPod has a lot on it.
Fives: '11 F10 550i, '02 E39 M5, '00 E39 540i/6, '97 E39 528i, '92 E34 525i
Others: VW, MBz, Peugeot, Toyota, Olds
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2007, 05:43 AM   #3
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Why dont you just create a few playlists of the artists you have after the letter P??? That way you can access the artists listed later...

I also have a bunch of songs (about 2,400), but I have a few 'artists' where the artist name is actually 'alternative' or 'hip hop' and the song title is the artist name and song title. So its basically a playlist within the artist menu, and it significantly cuts down on the number of artists listed when I use that menu.

I dont have my E92 yet, but it will have the ipod integration. I hope that the steps I have taken will make it much more enjoyable...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2007, 07:14 AM   #4
mike138
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i (c)

aux port 4 me i guess

i do hate that enter key
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2007, 07:33 AM   #5
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
The ipod kit is not worth it for people without idrive. How slow it is to search with idrive then times that by 2 for the people w/o idrive. One thing I'll prolly never use.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2007, 10:53 PM   #6
bmviz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
The ipod kit is not worth it for people without idrive. How slow it is to search with idrive then times that by 2 for the people w/o idrive. One thing I'll prolly never use.

It shouldn't take more time to browse external drive (Ipod) that MP3 play list on CD w/o Idrive.
Do I miss anything?

Anyway, I will wait for USB to EOM interface to connect external 250 GB USB drive
Appreciate 0