E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > VRSF 5" stepped FMIC fitment problems

04-10-2019, 07:22 AM   #1
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

VRSF 5" stepped FMIC fitment problems

'08 335xi E90 manual. After 7 weeks of empty promises and fake tracking numbers, I finally received my 5" stepped FMIC from VRSF. And hilarity ensued.
I sent the below to Tiago, and his response indicated he does not understand the problem at all. Can anyone tell me what needs to be done to resolve this? Thanks!

I received the intercooler today and attempted installation tonight. There are substantial fitment issues, particularly on the right side.

The intercooler’s inlet is jammed up against the radiator, so that the hose cannot be fitted over the inlet sufficiently to clamp. In this picture, you can also see that the intercooler is not parallel with the radiator. I was wondering if the included rubber washer should go between the intercooler and the mounting plastic to lower and align the intercooler and provide the space needed, but this was impossible because the included screws are not long enough to go through the aluminum flange and the rubber washer and still have enough length to mount in the plastic. Since the holes in the flange are large relative to the screws and their heads, I am currently using fender washers to protect the flanges from the screw heads. My initial assumption was that the rubber washer should go between the mounting flange and the screw head, but as mentioned above the screw isn’t long enough.
Name:  Intercooler vs Radiator low res.jpg
Views: 1845
Size:  186.5 KB

Since the intercooler is not parallel with the radiator, I checked the fit of the cooling fan. Sure enough, no fit on the right side. The side of the fan housing jams up against the intercooler inlet hose.
Name:  Intercooler vs Fan low res.jpg
Views: 1601
Size:  565.2 KB

Since no installation instructions are provided in the box or on your website, can you please explain what needs to be done to make this fit?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 04:18 PM   #2
cgbimmer
2007 335xi
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi blue

hey bud I have the same intercooler installed 2007 335xi..
Tight fit for me as well but it will fit..
I am not sure why your intercooler looks uneven are you hitting something?
I don't see a picture of the screws from bottom holding it up.
I would loosen those and maybe put a hardened rubber washer to even it out and slide towards driver side my fan tab fit in for me.. clamp on it was a pita I got enough on it tightened running mhd stage 2 for over a year
And tip if you had to Dremel a little of the fan tap do it on drivers side tab so you can slide plastic fan cover away from hitting clamp.. not the tab in the picture
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 04:19 PM   #3
cgbimmer
2007 335xi
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi blue

i also forgot i think i had two run to depot and match up longer screws to hold intercooler in
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 05:33 PM   #4
cruizinmax
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 99 Civic, 09 335i

I have the 5" on my car. There may be some small trimming that has to done on the left and right side to get the intercooler to fit all the way up. IIRC the part that had to be trimmed was right where the mounting screws screw in. You should be able to see the interference. There shouldn't be a gap between the mounting tabs and the radiator support/carrier or wherever it's called.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 06:46 PM   #5
Rube
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Looks like you may have some minor trimming to do, I think the intercooler should come forward a little more to be aligned with the radiator. Do a search on here for hangar bolts, get em from Home Depot, use those instead of the provided screws. I just got the same intercooler but haven’t attempted install Yet.

See post #4 for the hanger bolts
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1396867
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 01:16 AM   #6
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep

Got it worked out. Part of the radiator mount has to be cut. This isn't mentioned in the documentation, because there is no documentation.

Before:
Name:  Before.jpg
Views: 1593
Size:  499.8 KB

After:
Name:  After.jpg
Views: 1589
Size:  473.1 KB

With this done, the intercooler lines up perfectly.

On to the next challenge: replacing the crappy mounting hardware that comes with it. The included screws are the correct 6mm diameter but a different thread pitch and too short. The correct screws would be part number 17117536972, which are the same thread pattern as the original mounting screws but 40mm instead of 20mm. I did not of course have those handy, so I tried what was available from Lowes. My options were #12 (7/32", 5.5mm) and #14 (1/4", 6.2mm). #12 was a little too small for me to feel secure about it. #14 was a bit too snug but workable. Both of these sizes have the same thread pitch as the screws VRSF provided, not the same thread pitch as the original BMW screws. I used #14 x 1.5", with fender washers and the thick rubber washers included with the intercooler. This produced a secure mounting with good shock absorption.
My main problem is that the thread pitch does not match the original; this situation can cause premature degradation of the plastic if the intercooler is removed/installed repeatedly. I'll probably grab the correct screws mentioned above, to use the next time I pull this thing off.

Finally, the hoses and hose clamps. That all went fine except that the hose from the turbo outlet to the TMIC inlet was about 1/4"-1/2" too short for comfort, so I was barely able to establish a secure seal.

The build quality and fit of the intercooler itself is fantastic. I'm genuinely perplexed by VRSF's decision to stop at 99% by leaving out documentation and proper mounting hardware. Omitting these simple, important, zero-cost details sabotages a great product by antagonizing customers pointlessly.

I'm also surprised that Tiago was unable to understand the problem and explain the solution, given the explanation and pictures I provided.

One other installation note: after removing the cooling fan and before lifting the intercooler into place, loop a couple of sturdy bungee cords around the bumper/radiator assembly and use those to support the intercooler while you're fiddling with the mounting hardware, etc. This is super important, because handling this 22-pound monster is a completely different experience from handling the 7-pound OEM intercooler.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 11:01 AM   #7
turbohugh
ASCMA General
Rep
Drives: E90-N54 <>E36 328Vert

I had to remove one of those plastic pieces on the right ( as viewed sitting in the drivers seat ) . Couldn't get my 5 inch stepped in , however in my 08 e90 the piece just pulled out.
I also dropped my IC on my head .. left a nice noogie.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 11:59 AM   #8
Jwallace410
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i e93

I had the same issue with the 5" IC. I found a post "IC Install for Dummies" (i think in a 1 series forum) which noted cutting that small tab on the rad mount and removing those block clips that hold the rad mount. not having seen that post would have cost me much time and irritation.
      04-11-2019, 06:27 PM   #9
Rube
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
Got it worked out. Part of the radiator mount has to be cut. This isn't mentioned in the documentation, because there is no documentation.

Before:
Attachment 2028965

After:
Attachment 2028966

With this done, the intercooler lines up perfectly.

On to the next challenge: replacing the crappy mounting hardware that comes with it. The included screws are the correct 6mm diameter but a different thread pitch and too short. The correct screws would be part number 17117536972, which are the same thread pattern as the original mounting screws but 40mm instead of 20mm. I did not of course have those handy, so I tried what was available from Lowes. My options were #12 (7/32", 5.5mm) and #14 (1/4", 6.2mm). #12 was a little too small for me to feel secure about it. #14 was a bit too snug but workable. Both of these sizes have the same thread pitch as the screws VRSF provided, not the same thread pitch as the original BMW screws. I used #14 x 1.5", with fender washers and the thick rubber washers included with the intercooler. This produced a secure mounting with good shock absorption.
My main problem is that the thread pitch does not match the original; this situation can cause premature degradation of the plastic if the intercooler is removed/installed repeatedly. I'll probably grab the correct screws mentioned above, to use the next time I pull this thing off.

Finally, the hoses and hose clamps. That all went fine except that the hose from the turbo outlet to the TMIC inlet was about 1/4"-1/2" too short for comfort, so I was barely able to establish a secure seal.

The build quality and fit of the intercooler itself is fantastic. I'm genuinely perplexed by VRSF's decision to stop at 99% by leaving out documentation and proper mounting hardware. Omitting these simple, important, zero-cost details sabotages a great product by antagonizing customers pointlessly.

I'm also surprised that Tiago was unable to understand the problem and explain the solution, given the explanation and pictures I provided.

One other installation note: after removing the cooling fan and before lifting the intercooler into place, loop a couple of sturdy bungee cords around the bumper/radiator assembly and use those to support the intercooler while you're fiddling with the mounting hardware, etc. This is super important, because handling this 22-pound monster is a completely different experience from handling the 7-pound OEM intercooler.
Is that pic of the piece you trimmed looking up on the passenger side under the radiator ? Any other trimming required?

Thanks for the pics and tip, should help out when I install mine this weekend! However I plan to use the hanger bolts I linked in my previous post up above, and will support the intercooler with a jack while I fiddle with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 08:35 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Glad to hear you got it OP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 08:53 PM   #11
gurusan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is E93

Hey manufacturers, include installation documentation with every product... for every listed supported model. Hey sellers, push manufacturers to provide these prior to selling their products.
Appreciate 2
4 Doors1166.50
      04-18-2019, 07:29 AM   #12
Jwallace410
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rube View Post
Is that pic of the piece you trimmed looking up on the passenger side under the radiator ? Any other trimming required?

Thanks for the pics and tip, should help out when I install mine this weekend! However I plan to use the hanger bolts I linked in my previous post up above, and will support the intercooler with a jack while I fiddle with it.
For the 5" stepped core, theres only one piece of plastic that needed to be trimmed, same as OP's picture. When you go to do the passenger side and correctly place the IC, the plastic rad mpunt will prevent you from getting the IC flush. Thats the only trimming needed for the 5" core
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 06:49 PM   #13
Rube
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the tips everyone, i finally got around to installing the IC today and it went in without issue. I trimmed the piece exactly as the OP showed. I agree that the IC inlet hose is a tad bit short, another 1/2" in length would be perfect.

For mounting, I picked up these wood screws from home depot which have the same thread pitch but are sliiiightly larger than the original screws.I picked up #14 x 1-1/2" and also #14 x 1-1/4" . I ended up using the #14 x 1-1/2". The screws worked great, the only issue was they are counter sunk flat head phillips, they were out of stock in regular phillips head in that 1-1/2" length, still they worked perfectly fine. I mounted the IC, placed the supplied rubber washer from VRSF, then a regular washer under that then the screw.

Few other tips, wear eye protection when working under the car, i was amazed at the amount of dirt, sand and other crap that came out when i was removing the stock IC.
I also used a scissor jack to support the VRSF intercooler while i maneuvered it into place and to hold it in place while i screwed it in, worked like a charm.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 06:29 AM   #14
Jwallace410
Private
Rep

Lol I had to use my chin to support my IC
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 08:05 AM   #15
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwallace410 View Post
For the 5" stepped core, theres only one piece of plastic that needed to be trimmed, same as OP's picture. When you go to do the passenger side and correctly place the IC, the plastic rad mpunt will prevent you from getting the IC flush. Thats the only trimming needed for the 5" core
So I guess the reason they sell 5 inch stepped is for the people who don't want to trim their bumper inside plastic I guess?

Anyways you end up having to trim the rad fan which I think is worse.

Happy I went with 7" HD
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 05:26 PM   #16
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
you end up having to trim the rad fan
Wrong.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 08:17 PM   #17
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Wrong.
Could you give more details with your reply or explain?

This thread has 2 people who said they had to.

I'm just wondering.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 08:47 PM   #18
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Could you give more details with your reply or explain?

This thread has 2 people who said they had to.

I'm just wondering.
Name one.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 09:31 PM   #19
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Name one.
Wait I'm so confused.

Aren't you OP and said you had to cut part of your rad fan shroud?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 09:53 PM   #20
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wait I'm so confused.

Aren't you OP and said you had to cut part of your rad fan shroud?
Where did I say that?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 10:10 PM   #21
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Where did I say that?
Here
Quote:

This person also says they trimed theirs in their install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rube View Post
Thanks for the tips everyone, i finally got around to installing the IC today and it went in without issue. I trimmed the piece exactly as the OP showed. I agree that the IC inlet hose is a tad bit short, another 1/2" in length would be perfect.

And this person seemed to agree with you it needs to be trimmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwallace410 View Post
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 10:49 PM   #22
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep

Where did any of those posts say anything about the fan?
Appreciate 0