E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > ER Charge Pipe Installed

07-29-2015, 06:02 AM   #1
hz_diesel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335ix

ER Charge Pipe Installed

Just my quick review of the ER Charge Pipe and comments about the overall install. Don't be too harsh on me, first review on this forum.

I ordered the CP immediately after I picked up my Cobb AP v3, mostly due to the fear of the OEM pipe cracking. Was able to run stage 1 aggressive with no issues using the OEM CP but didn't feel comfortable since everyone on forums essentially recommended swapping the pipe. I ordered on here on forums through Mike at n54tuning, who was great with answering all my questions promptly before the order(I ask way too many questions sometimes).

Anyways I opted out for the black anodized pipe so it would look some what OEM if it was just a quick glance, came with one meth bung which was plugged. Install wasn't difficult but it was hard IMO. Removing the airbox was easy, unscrewing the main T30 torx screw for the CP and then the two T20 torx screws for the sensor wasn't bad. Loosen the clamps at both ends and the OEM pipe popped right out. The difficultly was getting the ER CP in and aligned but overall process itself wasn't hard at all, definitely better off asking for a helping hand. Keep the OEM O ring, make sure it is greased and place it into the new pipe on the large diameter end. Re-plug in the sensor and then the rest is plug and play, most difficult parts would be from getting both the ends to go on flush or getting to the clamps to tighten.

I am overall happy with how the pipe came out, it does use the oem flange but it doesn't align perfectly. The torx screw will fit though without too much difficulty if you tighten the screw slowly, it'll pull the flange into the proper position for you. I will have to however pop open the hood again later today and check the pipe, I am hearing a squealing/whining sound if I floor it but not if I let the car build up speed normally. Thinking the top end of the pipe is a bit loose(the large diameter end).

-Edit-

I did notice that the T30 screw on my CP was slightly stripped. I had purchased me E92 as a CPO with 13k on it, so it makes me wonder if it was the from the previous owner or if the OEM pipe had cracked previously.

Problem solved, clamp at silicon tube wasn't tight enough. On to the next mod!

Last edited by hz_diesel; 07-29-2015 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 2
      07-29-2015, 07:36 AM   #2
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5, 335, Ford Lightning, 63 me

Did you get any codes after it was all installed?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 07:45 AM   #3
hz_diesel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdone View Post
Did you get any codes after it was all installed?
No code thrown, been about 18hrs since I've installed. I would advise to unplug the sensor when you remove the OEM CP and then pull it off the pipe when the pipe itself is out of the engine bay that way you won't damage it.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 12:40 PM   #4
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Thanks for posting your thoughts..

Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 04:31 PM   #5
ljmib
Play It Safe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Lux/Sport

Nice review, I installed the same CP about 2 weeks ago from n54tunning as well. Haven't had any problems. I thought the install would take about 30 minutes which turned into a little over an hour, but that might be more of a reflection of me rather than the product.

I ruptured my OEM CP (while under warranty) overtaking a truck on the highway, fully stock No Tune. I feel like it's the weakest component in an otherwise well engineered engine.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 08:54 PM   #6
hz_diesel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmib View Post
Nice review, I installed the same CP about 2 weeks ago from n54tunning as well. Haven't had any problems. I thought the install would take about 30 minutes which turned into a little over an hour, but that might be more of a reflection of me rather than the product.

I ruptured my OEM CP (while under warranty) overtaking a truck on the highway, fully stock No Tune. I feel like it's the weakest component in an otherwise well engineered engine.
I agree, I guess when I said install was hard I meant it was just annoying to get the ends to line up. I had to tighten the clamp three different occasions because on the higher end of the throttle I would hear the squealing again, now everything is all good though. Now I am trying to decide to get a FMIC and a roll of vinyl to wrap my car or get a TBE.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 10:17 AM   #7
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

CP's are a little tricky first time around. Thanks for the review, not bad for the first one!
Appreciate 0