E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > IBS Sensor issue

11-03-2020, 03:51 PM   #1
Kembaallstar
Rep
Drives: Bmw

IBS Sensor issue

I just replaced my ibs because I was getting the code 2E8E-Intelligent Battery Sensor Missing and battery would drain out. I cleared the codes before replacing it. After replacing the ibs I scanned the car again. Same code pops up. I also tried switching the two blue connectors from the old ibs to the new ibs. Still shows same the code. I think it the problem might be the power distribution box on the battery, since its easy to mess up. Any ideas whats wrong?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 04:33 PM   #2
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

The BSD has 4 consumers - IBS, alternator, WP, oil level sensor. A problem with one can knock out out any or all of the others.
Since a missing/bad IBS will not drain the battery, take a look at your alternator. What is your voltage at idle?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 04:52 PM   #3
Kembaallstar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
The BSD has 4 consumers - IBS, alternator, WP, oil level sensor. A problem with one can knock out out any or all of the others.
Since a missing/bad IBS will not drain the battery, take a look at your alternator. What is your voltage at idle?
Quote:
I idle at around 13.7. I had the battery recently checked. The car will start one day and the next it won't even crank
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 04:59 PM   #4
Tunafish
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i N55

Just have a bad connection you have to trace.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 05:06 PM   #5
Kembaallstar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunafish View Post
Quote:
Should I start with the battery connections?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 05:39 PM   #6
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kembaallstar View Post
... I just replaced my ibs because I was getting the code 2E8E-Intelligent Battery Sensor Missing and battery would drain out... Same code pops up...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kembaallstar View Post
... The car will start one day and the next it won't even crank
If a fully-charged battery shows LESS than 12.0 Volts after sitting for 8 hours, but it WILL hold a charge if (-) battery terminal is disconnected, then almost CERTAIN your alternator diodes (think "electrical check-valves") have failed, and battery power is "leaking back" into the alternator as it sits unused. At that rate of drain, you will probably feel the rear of the alternator (after removal of rear cover) warm to hot, and a "Clamp Meter" on the LARGE B+ cable that supplies power to the Starter & Alternator would be reading an Amp or Two+ DC Current.

George
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 05:44 PM   #7
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

13.7 is too low. Your alternator and/or voltage regulator is/are bad.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 06:05 PM   #8
Kembaallstar
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
could that be why the ibs code is still on?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 07:07 PM   #9
Tunafish
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i N55

Your voltage is normal for warm temps.. It will go up from there on colder temps... 13.7 means alternator is good. Like I said check connections..
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2020, 08:18 PM   #10
Kembaallstar
Rep

Quote:
Your voltage is normal for warm temps.. It will go up from there on colder temps... 13.7 means alternator is good. Like I said check connections..
Quote:
should I focus more at the battery?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 09:11 PM   #11
Daaaaaaaan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 323i

When the car doesn't crank, and then it does, what did you do to make it crank? Is the battery still dying? What's the voltage before it cranks and before it refuses to crank?? It's unclear what (if anything) mechanical is occurring after you replaced IBS cable. All you had said in first post is that the code returns.

Have you received any other instrument cluster errors ever? E.g. ABS lights?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 09:26 PM   #12
Kembaallstar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daaaaaaaan View Post
When the car doesn't crank, and then it does, what did you do to make it crank? Is the battery still dying? What's the voltage before it cranks and before it refuses to crank?? It's unclear what (if anything) mechanical is occurring after you replaced IBS cable. All you had said in first post is that the code returns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daaaaaaaan View Post

I have to jump start my car. I have trickle charged it at times and the next day it might not start without a jump.
Appreciate 0