E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > boost solenoids or vacuum? n54 sudden loss of power & 30ff

10-29-2023, 01:49 PM   #1
Spilt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi Auto

boost solenoids or vacuum? n54 sudden loss of power & 30ff

30ff code thrown. 2007 335xi, ~90k engine miles. afaik the boost solenoids are original @ ~90k miles on this engine.

leaving my house (and the last few days of only casual driving) felt somewhat normal, i kept it under 2.5k rpm. i rarely go over 4k rpm, but on the way back to the house when I did, there was a complete lack of power and low end torque. when my friend gave it light revs at home, the rear wastegate didn’t appear to move at all. no release from my bov. just a slight spool sound.

took some logs today, car isn't even making 1lb of boost on MHD v10 stage 1 (supposed to be 13-14psi peak). on the logs (which are kind of shitty, just did them on the way to get gas) the boost target shows only 7psi at 4k rpm, boost is peaking at 1psi. compared to a good log when I was hitting boost, the car would already be around 13.5psi in the same conditions, rpm and gear. the car is ridiculously sluggish lol.
https://datazap.me/u/spilt/log-1-10-...-21-30&mark=56
not sure how to read %WGDC really, but the percentage is slightly lower as compared to my previous good logs, and seems to be a little more sluggish.

I'm wondering if my boost solenoids are due to be replaced, but the seemingly sudden loss of power leads me to think it's just a vacuum line that broke or fell off. wasn't sure if this info would help lead me in any particular direction. I'll be sure to do some classic 30ff troubleshooting, but would boost solenoids be a bad idea to replace at this point in time?

thanks for any help
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 01:14 PM   #2
p0p
Ninja
Rep
Drives: N54 & B58

Garage List
IMHO just do the solenoids - going off of years alone and the cost is only 150$
I was having almost the same issues but only at WOT or higher RPMs, think mines went at like 150k.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 08:51 AM   #3
Spilt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0p View Post
IMHO just do the solenoids - going off of years alone and the cost is only 150$
I was having almost the same issues but only at WOT or higher RPMs, think mines went at like 150k.
]
Well I guess I should've looked at the car before posting lol, as many 30ff threads as there are. Seemed odd but my charge pipe literally just popped off. The nut holding the clamp didn't have a nyloc nut. All fixed now. I've always been leery of the boost solenoids though as many 30ff codes as I've pulled. Will probably do them preventatively at some point. Thanks for your help.