E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > ISTA/D shows some modules as red (communication fail)?

11-26-2019, 05:55 PM   #1
wreckman
Rep
Drives: 325i E93 2012

Cool ISTA/D shows some modules as red (communication fail)?

Hi, new to using ISTA/D (4.11 I think..) on my E93 2012. I have a (cheap) k+dcan cable that looks like every other such cable (this one was called "Goldplay" from Amazon). I have configured the COM-port for the cable with 1 ms latency and I used the latest FTDI drivers and all is on Windows 10 on a ThinkPad.

ISTA properly reads out the vehicle information and communicates properly with all modules in the tree (green) except 3: CA, PDC and DSC (which turns red). For these, it says "No communication" (not a stored fault code; just ISTAs result).

Now I know that the PDC works and the DSC, well, the car drives properly and you can switch it on/off etc, I'm pretty sure if the DSC was incommunicado for real, the car would complain loudly. The CA (Comfort Access) module was the module I really wanted to reset, as I'm replacing a door handle, so I can't vouch for that.

What do you think, can a bad cable do this? Or a bad ISTA/D version? Can there be an issue if the ISTA/D version is older than what the car might be upgraded with (so some modules might have "too new" firmware and thus can't be checked?).

Last edited by wreckman; 11-27-2019 at 10:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 05:22 PM   #2
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

The key needs to be in ignition for them to be queried (double-press start)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 05:32 PM   #3
wreckman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
The key needs to be in ignition for them to be queried (double-press start)
Hmm thanks for the tip, I did try setting it to ignition (without pushing down the brake) but then the car goes BOING BOING BOING with a triangle with an exclamation mark inside it repeatedly until I push the start-button again.. (or remove the dcan cable).

I just assumed the car tries to show that "you can forget starting the engine while a diagnosis cable is inserted".

Do you know if this behaviour is normal?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 06:44 PM   #4
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Yep that's normal. For some reason when DSC is queried, it will cause the module to temporarily cause errors on the dashboard. They'll go away on their own. I think it's just a function of how the module is programmed. Kinda funky.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 03:38 AM   #5
wreckman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
Yep that's normal. For some reason when DSC is queried, it will cause the module to temporarily cause errors on the dashboard. They'll go away on their own. I think it's just a function of how the module is programmed. Kinda funky.
Thanks, eventually the modules came up green while probed with ignition on. Interestingly, the BOING BOING (!) stuff didn't appear this last time I tried. But it definitely came up the previous couple of times I tried. Good to know it can be ignored though
Appreciate 0