E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Turbo leak? Crankcase breather leak?? Help! M57 330d

10-28-2018, 01:02 PM   #67
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330d M Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSweet1991 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueh88 View Post
Hey mate.

Well it has definitely reduced if not eliminated the oil usage so therefore the oil leak I was experiencing at the bottom of the turbo clean air intake pipe. I'm still keeping an eye on it so fingers crossed.
That great news, so how much oil was you losing before the vortex? Mines on the more extreme side of 1 litre per month (around 1000 miles)
Similar to yours - about 1000 before it reached minimum at worst but I realised it depended on how I drove. If I didn't put my foot down at all it didn't really use much if any. Again, this supports my theory that higher crankcase pressures the higher the oil passing through the breather and hence leaks.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 01:04 PM   #68
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragerboy View Post
Maybe I will put it in mine now. I left it out because the old breather I removed had nothing in it.
Do it. For the minimal cost involved, there is nothing to lose. Like Rasa says, go for the round filter one of you want but I couldn't be bothered having to keep changing it.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 02:32 PM   #69
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

Quote:
Similar to yours - about 1000 before it reached minimum at worst but I realised it depended on how I drove. If I didn't put my foot down at all it didn't really use much if any. Again, this supports my theory that higher crankcase pressures the higher the oil passing through the breather and hence leaks.
That's great news! Just in case your interested this is a great read:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=993228
Appreciate 1
blueh8869.00
      10-29-2018, 03:26 PM   #70
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSweet1991 View Post
Quote:
That's great news! Just in case your interested this is a great read:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=993228
That was a really interesting read. Nice one.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 12:49 AM   #71
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
That was a really interesting read. Nice one.
yeh a good read,,quite an extreme build though,,my question is..will the old style(full breather assembly) loo roll or vortex be a straigt swap,,obviously not for the newer cannister design as shown,,but for the flatter old style vortex loo roll assembly..it looks exactly the same,,wish i still had my e46 then i could have tried it,,im gonna maybe see what my 330d e90 sport has in it,,i assumed it was the vortex
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 01:12 AM   #72
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

looks like the newer one is in my 335d,ie the taller cannister and shorter base one,,bollox
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 08:44 AM   #73
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
yeh a good read,,quite an extreme build though,,my question is..will the old style(full breather assembly) loo roll or vortex be a straigt swap,,obviously not for the newer cannister design as shown,,but for the flatter old style vortex loo roll assembly..it looks exactly the same,,wish i still had my e46 then i could have tried it,,im gonna maybe see what my 330d e90 sport has in it,,i assumed it was the vortex
Yes it should, as the vortex slotted in to mine no problem.

I'm guessing your e90 330d will be empty...
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 11:21 AM   #74
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes it should, as the vortex slotted in to mine no problem.

I'm guessing your e90 330d will be empty...
yeh but i want it for my 335d,they are different shape of breather,,my 330d has the old shape,,which i will do next seervice,,,cannot be arsed stripping it all down,,even though i can do it blindfold now ha ha,,but i remember the first time i stripped my e46,,dear me the parts you have to lay out in order..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 05:18 PM   #75
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Okay so just an update on this...back to drips on my drive
So it looks like the vortex didn't really stop the leaks. I guess the oil is building up on the undertray overtime and then leaks. so it looks a lot worse than it actually is.
I have just washed the underside of my car due to the oily mess and now just monitoring.
As rasa has stated a few posts up, I do now think it is the little hose connected to the breather. I plan to jubilee clip it up. also to properly seal all other pipes in the vicinty and then re-monitor...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 01:39 AM   #76
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So it looks like the vortex didn't really stop the leaks. I guess the oil is building up on the undertray overtime and then leaks. so it looks a lot worse than it actually is.
I have just washed the underside of my car due to the oily mess and now just monitoring.
As rasa has stated a few posts up, I do now think it is the little hose connected to the breather. I plan to jubilee clip it up. also to properly seal all other pipes in the vicinty and then re-monitor...
just a quick one,,couple months ago i replaced my small turbo oil feed pipe,,quite a leak from it,,also leaks from my red boost hose,,new seals has fixed that,,car now drier than a nuns twat ha ha ,,check all the banjo bolts and crimps on the oil feed pipes..ps i got rid of all the plastic sheeting on my under tray as it was a mess,now weighs around 4lbs lighter at least,i mnow mines got different oil feed pipes but worth a check.also dry your red boost hose degrease etc,,then check after a day or 2..i left my undertray off to do this
Appreciate 1
blueh8869.00
      02-28-2019, 01:49 AM   #77
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
just a quick one,,couple months ago i replaced my small turbo oil feed pipe,,quite a leak from it,,also leaks from my red boost hose,,new seals has fixed that,,car now drier than a nuns twat ha ha ,,check all the banjo bolts and crimps on the oil feed pipes..ps i got rid of all the plastic sheeting on my under tray as it was a mess,now weighs around 4lbs lighter at least,i mnow mines got different oil feed pipes but worth a check.also dry your red boost hose degrease etc,,then check after a day or 2..i left my undertray off to do this
okay cool...willing to try anything now!! I'll definitely be giving that a go over the weekend. I remember you replaced your red pipe - are you saying it's leaked again? if so how have you sealed it properly this time? yeah the under tray is a pain in the ass...how have you secured the adjoining tray to stop it flapping about whilst the front one is off?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 07:00 AM   #78
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
okay cool...willing to try anything now!! I'll definitely be giving that a go over the weekend. I remember you replaced your red pipe - are you saying it's leaked again? if so how have you sealed it properly this time? yeah the under tray is a pain in the ass...how have you secured the adjoining tray to stop it flapping about whilst the front one is off?
ha ha i didnt,,it was fla[pping a little and had to go over speed humps a certain way..imsure it could be held up with some wire..my 330d pipe i replaced yeh thtas fine..my 335d has an after market one from creations motorsport,,last owner did it,,maybe they snagged the seals,,as new seals has fixed it,,was leaking when car was at rest and blowing atomised oil when under boost,,oil everywhere,,doesnt take much oil to make a mess when its atomised etc
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 07:05 AM   #79
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
ha ha i didnt,,it was fla[pping a little and had to go over speed humps a certain way..imsure it could be held up with some wire..my 330d pipe i replaced yeh thtas fine..my 335d has an after market one from creations motorsport,,last owner did it,,maybe they snagged the seals,,as new seals has fixed it,,was leaking when car was at rest and blowing atomised oil when under boost,,oil everywhere,,doesnt take much oil to make a mess when its atomised etc
Lol I see. I'll see if it can be secured with the fixings without the front tray in. it'd make like much easier.
okay cool, I'll see what I find and take it from there.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 02:01 AM   #80
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Lol I see. I'll see if it can be secured with the fixings without the front tray in. it'd make like much easier.
okay cool, I'll see what I find and take it from there.
yeh i couldnt be arsed taking it off,jacking car etc,,my drive is quite slopy also,,,
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 02:24 AM   #81
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Okay, so under tray off and up on the ramp, gosh it was an absolute mess! I had only got it washed a few days ago and oil was everywhere. Pics attached of what I believe to be the main culprit red hose. So I don't think I had sealed this properly. The others are from the oil pan which scared me a little bit as it made me think there is a crack on in it. I couldn't see anything though after I had cleaned it up, although it does seem there is some weeping from a bolt?

So plan of action is to rectify the red hose first. However how can I seal this properly? I've used a jubilee clip but still no good.

I'll monitor everything else as I just want to take it step by step.

Oh and I've secured the small breather hose with some tie clips and that seems to have stopped the leak from there so at least one win!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 10:34 AM   #82
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Took the red pipe off, cleaned up and resecured properly. I think the bottom bit which connects to the intercooler was not seated properly. This is now seated properly and everything so far is all good (touch wood).
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 02:36 AM   #83
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Took the red pipe off, cleaned up and resecured properly. I think the bottom bit which connects to the intercooler was not seated properly. This is now seated properly and everything so far is all good (touch wood).
hoooorahhh,,you probably will see some oil on undertray after wards,,the engine will still have some on and it will get on to under ray,,as said i rempved all the plastic sheeting on my undertray,,now looks like a kids sledge,,but easy to see if any oil on it,,also about 5
lbs lighter
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 04:13 AM   #84
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
hoooorahhh,,you probably will see some oil on undertray after wards,,the engine will still have some on and it will get on to under ray,,as said i rempved all the plastic sheeting on my undertray,,now looks like a kids sledge,,but easy to see if any oil on it,,also about 5
lbs lighter
Yeah I've not put trays back on yet as I still want to monitor for another week and also do a good clean up. If all good I'll be removing the sheeting too before putting it back on.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 08:43 AM   #85
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I've not put trays back on yet as I still want to monitor for another week and also do a good clean up. If all good I'll be removing the sheeting too before putting it back on.
that sheeting will have all sorts of gunk in it,,like sand mixed with oil in every orifice,,took me a while to get it all out,,used an old flat blade screw driver/stiff brush and a hose,then used some degreaser etc after that,put all the crap in newspaper..also used the newspaper to mop some of the crap up off the tray.amazing how much was in there
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 09:46 AM   #86
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
that sheeting will have all sorts of gunk in it,,like sand mixed with oil in every orifice,,took me a while to get it all out,,used an old flat blade screw driver/stiff brush and a hose,then used some degreaser etc after that,put all the crap in newspaper..also used the newspaper to mop some of the crap up off the tray.amazing how much was in there
Yeah I can imagine...definitely will get it removed.

On another note related to the leaks, did you find the pipe that attaches to the front of your turbo leaking oil as a result of the oil through the breather? It is the one that comes from the air filter. If so, is it a case of just replacing the preformed seal on the end?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 11:49 AM   #87
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I can imagine...definitely will get it removed.

On another note related to the leaks, did you find the pipe that attaches to the front of your turbo leaking oil as a result of the oil through the breather? It is the one that comes from the air filter. If so, is it a case of just replacing the preformed seal on the end?
on my 330d it was fine and no seal just a clamp,,on my 335d its a plastic connection with a seal in it,,replaced the seal and the green seal at intercooler end,,i didnt do it though,,indy i use did it..way too risky on my slopy drive,,even taking the under tray off is a bit dodgy,,3 jacks and put spare wheel under in case ..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 07:00 AM   #88
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
on my 330d it was fine and no seal just a clamp,,on my 335d its a plastic connection with a seal in it,,replaced the seal and the green seal at intercooler end,,i didnt do it though,,indy i use did it..way too risky on my slopy drive,,even taking the under tray off is a bit dodgy,,3 jacks and put spare wheel under in case ..
I'm talking about the connection at item 7 on realoem:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=13_1151

Is this where you had a clamp?
Appreciate 0