E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Engine shut down/Fuel pump failure/SULEV warranty

09-20-2020, 01:36 PM   #1
alvi
Registered
Rep
Drives: e92 328xi coupe

Engine shut down/Fuel pump failure/SULEV warranty

Had an engine shut down today when driving at about 60 mph slightly uphill. "Fuel pump failure" message appeared. Couldn't start the car again - it was cranking, but not starting. After waiting for towing for 30 min, tried again and it started, was able to drive home ~5 miles, no other problems.
The car underwent scheduled maintenance (brake fluid, engine and cabin air filters) a couple of weeks ago, I have driven it only 2 times since then.
2012 E92 328i XDrive, 122k miles, all scheduled maintenance on time at official dealership, no other problems.
SULEV, initially sold in NJ, now registered in CT.

1) Is it possible that fuel pump failed within 2 weeks after everything was checked at the dealership? Can this be something else?
2) Can this be related to the recent maintenance? Any chance they messed up something? (It just feels so sudden, the car hasn't given me any problems at all so far). If yes, should I mention/insist on this, would it be of any benefit?
3) If it's indeed the fuel pump, can I expect this to be covered under SULEV warranty?

I am planning to take it to the dealership soon (hopefully the car will make it there on its own), and just want to be as prepared as possible in case they are giving me hard time. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 06:48 PM   #2
gbmw311
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9802 330ci vert, E2%80

Garage List
2002 BMW 330ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvi View Post
Had an engine shut down today when driving at about 60 mph slightly uphill. "Fuel pump failure" message appeared. Couldn't start the car again - it was cranking, but not starting. After waiting for towing for 30 min, tried again and it started, was able to drive home ~5 miles, no other problems.
The car underwent scheduled maintenance (brake fluid, engine and cabin air filters) a couple of weeks ago, I have driven it only 2 times since then.
2012 E92 328i XDrive, 122k miles, all scheduled maintenance on time at official dealership, no other problems.
SULEV, initially sold in NJ, now registered in CT.

1) Is it possible that fuel pump failed within 2 weeks after everything was checked at the dealership? Can this be something else?
2) Can this be related to the recent maintenance? Any chance they messed up something? (It just feels so sudden, the car hasn't given me any problems at all so far). If yes, should I mention/insist on this, would it be of any benefit?
3) If it's indeed the fuel pump, can I expect this to be covered under SULEV warranty?

I am planning to take it to the dealership soon (hopefully the car will make it there on its own), and just want to be as prepared as possible in case they are giving me hard time. Thanks!
1) yes and doubtful
2) doubtful
3) yes

More context:

I have a 2009 E93, also an N51. A few months ago at about 90k, my fuel pump did exactly the same thing - completely out of the blue. After waiting about 15 minutes, it started right up and I was able to get it home. Called BMW, made an appointment, and brought it in - was able to make it there without issue (about 12 miles/15 minutes). The message had gone away and the car was totally fine when I dropped it off. They tested and confirmed the fuel pump was faulty and it was covered 100% by the SULEV warranty.

They also gave me a new X5 loaner for the few days it took to diagnose, repair, etc.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 03:04 PM   #3
alvi
Registered
Rep
Drives: e92 328xi coupe

Thank you for sharing, I hope it goes well for me too.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 08:23 PM   #4
gbmw311
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9802 330ci vert, E2%80

Garage List
2002 BMW 330ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvi View Post
Thank you for sharing, I hope it goes well for me too.
I hope so, too! Keep us posted - there's a while thread in SULEV success stories if you search for it. When making appointment, make sure to let them know it's SULEV and that you know it should be covered. They gave me the standard "it'll cost $x for the diagnosis" but if confirmed, they'll waive the fee.

Also - if you end up having to get it towed, make sure you get reimbursed.
Appreciate 0