E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Advice for switching to a NA car

08-03-2017, 06:25 PM   #1
fresh_e92
Rep
Drives: E93 330i Msport

Advice for switching to a NA car

Hi guys,

Bit of advice please. For the last 2 years I had a Merc C250 diesel auto. It was a noisy unrefined 4 pot but it was punchy! It came in around 209bhp and had bags of torque.

My new car is an e93 330i auto. I knew before I changed that the delivery of power would be very different and I'm hoping to get some advice on how to best get the power from the car.

On paper the e93 wins with more bhp and quicker 0-60 (I know these figures are stupid to go by). On my other thread I wrote that the car had thrown me back into my seat unlike the merc and that's true. From a standing start it does win there. However I find that the e93 doesn't "feel" as fast. Could it just be because I need to hit high revs for it to kick into life?

Anyway I guess I'm looking for advice and maybe some guidance on how I should be driving it to get the most from it.

Any advice would be really appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 06:54 PM   #2
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
If it was anything like our w204 (C300), the acceleration you felt was probably the miserably slow transmission finally finding a gear.

There are certainly some bolt ons for the 330 (N52 at least), but you'll be hard pressed to find great bang for your buck compared to FI modifications.

I'm not sure if it works for your version of the auto, but possibly the Alpina trans tune could provide noticeable help.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 08:14 PM   #3
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Torque down low feels faster but once you figure out how to wring the power out at higher rpm it is so satisfying.....with that said your 330 should feel plenty fast if it's running optimally(maintained well).
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 12:47 AM   #4
_Ascension_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i - Sophisto Grey

Foot to the floor and listen the straight six sing in the higher revs for the power
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 06:17 AM   #5
fresh_e92
Rep
Drives: E93 330i Msport

Thanks for the replies guys. I hadn't even thought of a gearbox remap so will check that out.

I went for a spirited drive this morning and it's starting to click a lot more, I see what you guys mean about keeping at higher revs. Looks like from about 4k rpm it's properly quick. Maybe the dramaless delivery of power is also altering my perception.

The acceleration from 50-90 is properly good if you're in the right gear. I'm hoping this car can make me a better driver now ha! More to think about then just stamp the pedal as hard as I can

Although that's not to say there won't be times where i do just stamp my foot down as hard as I can!!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 09:42 AM   #6
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORB8 View Post
If it was anything like our w204 (C300), the acceleration you felt was probably the miserably slow transmission finally finding a gear.

There are certainly some bolt ons for the 330 (N52 at least), but you'll be hard pressed to find great bang for your buck compared to FI modifications.

I'm not sure if it works for your version of the auto, but possibly the Alpina trans tune could provide noticeable help.
This is actually very true. I have a DCT box where the shifts are pretty much seamless. Get in a manual with a lot less power and the lurches make the car feel much more powerful but look at the speedo and that tells the truth.
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 10:25 AM   #7
Mboon
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

I own a 3.2 Evo M3 E36 and at the time my brother owned a S3. He used to think the S3 was quicker because it felt quicker behind the wheel. He was not happy when I left him for dead.

Moral of th3 story, turbo can feel quicker due to the surge in power when the turbo kicks in. But the N.A. engine has that power straight away and smoothly runs up through the rev range.

You will have to drop a gear or two when you want to overtake to get the same kind of performance
Appreciate 0