E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Suspension Troubleshooting

07-04-2020, 10:47 PM   #1
Peter5498
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i e93

Suspension Troubleshooting

Hey,

I’m pretty new to the suspension side of things. I’ve read a few other threads based on a couple of my symptoms, but I’d like to be sure on whether these problems amount to just one part, or multiple. I’d like to maybe save myself from replacing new parts.

As far as symptoms go, one of my issues is that when braking at a slight slope very slow and gradually, I get a knocking sound from the front. Brakes? Tie rods? Control arm knock? I’m not sure. I’ve tried the 9 & 3 and the 6 & 12 shake on the wheel, and no budge really. I’ve been told before that my control arms should be replaced because of the front wheels moving when stopping completely. Another symptom is that at around 70mph, I get slight steering wheel shake on a newly paved road. Also some road drift to the right but maybe I should get an alignment and report back for that. What can I do to make sure that the parts needing to be replaced, need to be replaced? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 12:33 AM   #2
autoart
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e90 M/ 22 X3

You don't say the mileage of the car. The lower arms are fluid filed and could be leaking, which is very common.
Have used a pry-bar to try and move the suspension bushings? grab the tie rods with your hand,. there should be no movement.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 01:11 AM   #3
Peter5498
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i e93

Oh right, 50k miles.

I'll try the pry bar trick soon. I used my hand and tried seeing if they'd flex at all but seems unlikely that I'd be able to tell from that.
Appreciate 0