E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Hakse90 build

07-11-2020, 09:50 PM   #1
HaksE90
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Hakse90 build

Hi guys just recently joined the forums and recently just purchased a 2005 325i e90 yesterday.

Car currently problem is rocket cover leaks and sunroof linning. Other than that its pretty much A1. Currently has 164,815kms.

Had a question on upgrading to aftermarket headlights from either Ebay or Marsperformance. Something a bit brighter for my wife to see at night as the currents are okay but a bit too light for her eyes.

We are no experts on cars and was recommended to join the forums by my brother who lives in the US. Hope we can share our journey and learn more about the e90 here.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 10:45 PM   #2
Coupes33
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 335i, 2017 Audi S3

Welcome to the forum. If you have plenty of time, read through "Sockets 335i build" thread and you will get all the information about modifying one of these cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 11:14 PM   #3
HaksE90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupes33 View Post
Welcome to the forum. If you have plenty of time, read through "Sockets 335i build" thread and you will get all the information about modifying one of these cars.
Thank you for this information, I have one question the e90 started in 06 in US and here it's an 05 e90 so would parts from 06 USDM fit on an 05? In AUS?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 04:20 AM   #4
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaksE90 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupes33 View Post
Thank you for this information, I have one question the e90 started in 06 in US and here it's an 05 e90 so would parts from 06 USDM fit on an 05? In AUS?
Welcome and congrats on the new ride !
Yes, any e90 parts will fit most likely though not components that are LHD specific.
      07-12-2020, 05:52 AM   #5
HaksE90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus335iguy View Post
Welcome and congrats on the new ride !
Yes, any e90 parts will fit most likely though not components that are LHD specific.
Thank you,

Is there a way to tell if i have factory xenon lights? Or halogen? i seen on the headlight itself stampped Xenon BMW.

Also im guessing the headlights from America wont fit onto our BMW's? As they are "LHD"?

Or even if anyone in AUS Sydney area does custom headlights with the OEM ones idm doing as well.

Last edited by HaksE90; 07-12-2020 at 05:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 06:15 AM   #6
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Theyll likely fit but the beams will be shaped differently for oncoming driver shielding and its not a good idea. SOunds like you have Xenons. They do get tired over time so replacement bulbs might be an easier and even cheaper fix
      07-12-2020, 06:27 AM   #7
HaksE90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Theyll likely fit but the beams will be shaped differently for oncoming driver shielding and its not a good idea. SOunds like you have Xenons. They do get tired over time so replacement bulbs might be an easier and even cheaper fix
Yeah i just ordered a set of LUX V7 e90 was pricey at around $200

i hope this does the trick, as the headlights i was looking at on ebay were about $450 including shipping. I'd love to find somoone locally that can black out my headlights if thats possible or anyone here in Western Sydney.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 06:46 AM   #8
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Yeah i just ordered a set of LUX V7 e90 was pricey at around $200

i hope this does the trick, as the headlights i was looking at on ebay were about $450 including shipping. I'd love to find somoone locally that can black out my headlights if thats possible or anyone here in Western Sydney.

Lux 7's are just for the angel eyes. Basically just fancy parkers.
If you have xenons there probably DS1 bulbs check the video here for more info https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8vSH9cQzLY
As in the video they certainly go dull over time. plenty of options on ebay for under $50
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2020, 12:46 AM   #9
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Welcome aboard.... congrats on your new car
Lots of friendly and helpful people in here
I see you have already met some

New headlight bulbs looks like its been covered
Blacking out headlights is a major job tbh, requires the headlight to be oven baked, taken apart, painted and oven baked again and put back together

Will cost you at least $500 just to get someone to open them up and paint them black, plus all the trouble to remove and reinstall them

Normally you would do a few other things to customise the headlights while you had them open and in bits, (RGBW angle eyes, CF eyebrows etc)
If you are planning to do custom headlights, best place imo is in Melbourne. Post lights down and get them back in about a week. MIght be slower with covid though. Speak to Nate

https://www.facebook.com/LuminanceAutowerke/

You could DIY if you are handy and the wife doesnt mind you baking headlights in the oven

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...&highlight=DIY

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...&highlight=DIY
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 04:39 AM   #10
HaksE90
Private
Rep

Thanks guys and thank you socket I have read some of your posts and seen the DIY you did on the headlights and I'm not the best with cars haha. There is some easy stuff I can do but I think the headlights is beyond me lol.

I will have a look into the Melbourne one. Atm I'm seeing some moisture in my passenger headlight so I'm thinking if I should get a new set of oem ones from local or sourced in Melbourne.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 04:53 AM   #11
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks guys and thank you socket I have read some of your posts and seen the DIY you did on the headlights and I'm not the best with cars haha. There is some easy stuff I can do but I think the headlights is beyond me lol.

I will have a look into the Melbourne one. Atm I'm seeing some moisture in my passenger headlight so I'm thinking if I should get a new set of oem ones from local or sourced in Melbourne.
You are welcome

Replacement headlight will cost around $500 second hand from FB market place or wrecker
Without knowing how bad it is, I am not sure you need a new headlight just yet

I get a bit of condensate in my headlights at this time of year with cold morning and lots of moisture around
The headlights are not totally sealed, there are breather holes in the back (with a elbow shaped rubber pipe coming off them) and the access door on the top of the headlight, while it has a rubber seal is not air tight

It is not normal to have condensate but it is not that unusual and it normally dries up by itself

Is only a problem if the moisture gets into the ballast (electrical box) at the base of the headlight and cause the electronics to short out
If you are worried, you can always use a hair drier through the top access hatch to dry things out, although this takes a hour or more on medium heat

You can also put some butyl sealant around the seal between the lens and headlight body at the top of the headlight and around the access hatch

Type BUTYL-HEADLIGHT-RETROFIT-RESEAL-SEALANT into ebay search bar (ebay links dont work in here)

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 05:11 AM   #12
HaksE90
Private
Rep

Thank you again socket!! I appreciate the help.

So far after purchasing I'll be changing all hoes in the car as the rocket cover has a leak and repairing that. Then I'll be flushing all fluids and redoing that as well so I know everything is ok.

Other issue is just my heater it blows only cold air so I think it might be thermostat issue.

Also has anyone ever replaced their navi? With other navies that are for bmw? I seen one on youtube and it has sat navi but also keeps the teaming bmw things on there and just much faster and has car play eyc.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 12:12 AM   #13
jard
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Thank you again socket!! I appreciate the help.

So far after purchasing I'll be changing all hoes in the car as the rocket cover has a leak and repairing that. Then I'll be flushing all fluids and redoing that as well so I know everything is ok.

Other issue is just my heater it blows only cold air so I think it might be thermostat issue.

Also has anyone ever replaced their navi? With other navies that are for bmw? I seen one on youtube and it has sat navi but also keeps the teaming bmw things on there and just much faster and has car play eyc.
Hey Haks,
Welcome!

In regards to Nav upgrades, there is a few different directions you can go. The first thing you should identify what type of system you have currently in your car to determine what is most feasible jump up.
Given that your car is an 05/06 I think I read, I would assume you would have the CCC version in your car which is similar to mine (2007)

The latest maps to upgrade on the CCC models is unfortunately only up to 2014. Big sad face.

From here you have two directions, you look into an Android system which will have all the bells and whistles, although is difficult to install because usually they are built in China - Speak to Nate as Socket mentioned, he has done one recently in his car and I think he is planning to install them through his shop.

The other option is to retrofit your system to either a CIC system. You can buy a complete kit from the US for about 800-900 USD, however this will require coding as well. Check this site out: https://cicretrofit.com

OR jump to the latest model which is NBT for double that figure. If NBT is something you want to look into speak to Socket, has has done that on his car.

Hope that helps! Good luck with the build.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Socket4542.00
      07-17-2020, 03:18 AM   #14
HaksE90
Private
Rep

Thank you guys for the love and help.

So I recently got the obd2 reader and I tried to setup folding mirrors etc and seems like my 2005 390 325i doesn't do it? Idk what's change I had someone cut a key for me and all settings change when I reverse it doesn't even tilt my mirrors anymore.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 03:44 AM   #15
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Thank you guys for the love and help.

So I recently got the obd2 reader and I tried to setup folding mirrors etc and seems like my 2005 390 325i doesn't do it? Idk what's change I had someone cut a key for me and all settings change when I reverse it doesn't even tilt my mirrors anymore.
Have a look at the position of the mirror switch. It should be set to drivers side

Folding mirrors only works on cars with that hardware. Do you have the switch ?
      07-17-2020, 04:05 AM   #16
HaksE90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Have a look at the position of the mirror switch. It should be set to drivers side

If it's a switch to fold the mirrors then no i do not

But if its the switch to move the mirrors then yes lol. Sorry I'm not that smart with cars trying to learn slowly.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 06:38 AM   #17
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

If it's a switch to fold the mirrors then no i do not

But if its the switch to move the mirrors then yes lol. Sorry I'm not that smart with cars trying to learn slowly.
So for the reverse dip switch the mirror switch from passenger to driver.
If you don't have a button for folding mirrors it means you don't have the hardware and coding won't work
      07-17-2020, 07:58 AM   #18
HaksE90
Private
Rep

Quote:
If you don't have a button for folding mirrors it means you don't have the hardware and coding won't work
Ah dang gotcha yeah I dont got that lol. Dang that was a feature I really only wanted to code haha sucks but yeah.

I recently got an error for run flats and ABS issue goin to see a mechanic hope it's not an arm and a leg to fix
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 12:16 PM   #19
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Ah dang gotcha yeah I dont got that lol. Dang that was a feature I really only wanted to code haha sucks but yeah.

I recently got an error for run flats and ABS issue goin to see a mechanic hope it's not an arm and a leg to fix
What code are you getting ? Could be as simple as an abs sensor clean/replacement
      07-17-2020, 06:06 PM   #20
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
This is the folding mirrors button on a LHD
Attached Images

07-17-2020, 06:20 PM   #21
jard
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:

How is the errors coming up and do they come when you do certain actions? Eg turn the wheel a certain direction, does it trigger going above a certain speed?

This could be as simple as a wheel speed sensor going (easy option to replace) and if this is all it is you can swap them over to see if the error follows the side of the car that the code is throwing at you.

I has a similar issue where I would get flat tire, control systems and DSC errors all triggered together. When I read the codes it told me it was a speed sensor, however after doing the checks above all that was needed to be done was clean out the wheel bearing as it was full or crap and it went away.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 06:44 PM   #22
HaksE90
Private
Rep

This is what I have and when I try to pump my front tires it doesn't go past 39 says check run flats
Attached Images

Appreciate 0