E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Automatic Transmission Tuning ZF6HP19 First Generation

03-26-2017, 12:28 PM   #45
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Pictures of Kombi with current gear display

Just in Case anyone wants to try this...

In "D" it will display the current gear only, no "D" prefix. Again, this is temporary, cycle the ignition is goes back to normal.

Maybe this is something that can be coded, if you knew how.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 02:35 PM   #46
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGeeks View Post
Have you not figured out how to do it within the ODA yet?

I know you said you had what you thought would work.

To enable this, what did you do? I don't even recognize what program your using.
No 0da file yet but getting closer.

This was just an accident trying to do some logging this morning.

Turns out there are two jobs inside GS19d.prg that Tool32 can call. One to initialize this display and one to turn it off. Both are cleared on an ignition cycle.

Steuern ganganzeige starten

And

Steuern ganganzeige stoppen

Working on this at the tire shop, putting new tires on the wife's Lexus. Brought the laptop.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 11:51 PM   #47
Dan Bilzerian
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Working on this at the tire shop, putting new tires on the wife's Lexus. Brought the laptop.
Lol you're a stud!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 08:56 PM   #48
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Update:

I have the gear display working in D and S modes. Iv also deleted the kickdown switch in manual mode. So manual is manual.

Bimmergeaks, your ODA file is a different program than mine. Is this the latest for your car? The data moves a little between the programs but not much, about 24 bytes across the calibration section so it won't be too hard to create an xdf for your version, just don't want to spend time working on obsolete programs.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 09:21 AM   #49
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Update:

I have the gear display working in D and S modes. Iv also deleted the kickdown switch in manual mode. So manual is manual.

Bimmergeaks, your ODA file is a different program than mine. Is this the latest for your car? The data moves a little between the programs but not much, about 24 bytes across the calibration section so it won't be too hard to create an xdf for your version, just don't want to spend time working on obsolete programs.
I think it may be different for E85. The 630I & 330I share the same OPA I believe. When I flashed it, it didn't go through the OPA routine, it only walked through the 30sec calibration section.

IM SUPER EXCITED to get gear display. Please let me know how I can help.
Email sent with test file, let us know how it works
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 03:47 PM   #50
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Boom! We have gear displays without the Alpina flash for 325/330i

Thx to Rhajl & TerraPhantm!
Yours was harder then it should have been..

It will get easier and we will learn to do more than just giggle a display.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 05:18 PM   #51
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe

Quote:

Once hass gets his webapp running, that can probably handle parsing a binary, correcting the checksum, signing it, and generating a valid 0da. If those steps went properly, this would have been as simple as any other flash.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 05:38 PM   #52
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Haha, at least we got it. Would've been a let down if it didn't work out in the end after that K-line fiasco.
Speaking of the K-Line fiasco, that probably means there are no software options available to retrofit a second generation ZF 6HP into a K-Line car like the E85
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 05:41 PM   #53
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Speaking of the K-Line fiasco, that probably means there are no software options available to retrofit a second generation ZF 6HP into a K-Line car like the E85
Stock software? Definitely not. But the K-line could still be present, and the code to work with the old CAN format may also be present. Would be difficult to figure that out without disassembling the software and seeing how the routines that process the CAN messages work. Would also need to figure out the RSA bypass (also quite difficult/impossible without disassembling the software) to flash custom stuff since the newer modules use 1024-bit RSA signatures.

Edit: Actually you might just be in luck.

LCI X3 2.0d uses the same mechatronics as late model 335s and N53 330s. X3 uses the old CAN-format messages, meaning the code to work in the old format cars should be present. So to get a newer transmission to play nice with your car, you'd probably want to use the N53 flash modified to work with the old message standard.

Last edited by Terraphantm; 04-04-2017 at 05:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 06:29 PM   #54
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terraphantm View Post
Quote:
Stock software? Definitely not. But the K-line could still be present, and the code to work with the old CAN format may also be present. Would be difficult to figure that out without disassembling the software and seeing how the routines that process the CAN messages work. Would also need to figure out the RSA bypass (also quite difficult/impossible without disassembling the software) to flash custom stuff since the newer modules use 1024-bit RSA signatures.

Edit: Actually you might just be in luck.

LCI X3 2.0d uses the same mechatronics as late model 335s and N53 330s. X3 uses the old CAN-format messages, meaning the code to work in the old format cars should be present. So to get a newer transmission to play nice with your car, you'd probably want to use the N53 flash modified to work with the old message standard.
Probably better to get an E89 or an M roadster and call it the day.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 06:34 PM   #55
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Haha, at least we got it. Would've been a let down if it didn't work out in the end after that K-line fiasco.
Regarding your request to have a real manual mode, what do you mean? Would you rather have the engine hit the rev limiter before the transmission shifts?

At the bottom end of the scale in manual mode the TCU does not force a downshift until the RPMs are really low, any lower and something is going to start jumping around.

I have already deleted the kick down switches in manual mode and I'm pretty happy with that.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 08:18 PM   #56
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
The kickdown delete is what's most important, the auto up/down isn't too big of a deal. Most of the time I shift it before rev limit when playing with the paddles.
Well, I already have that working.

I found the problem with the 0da create software. Like I thought, it was a simple error.

The full bin download helped alot.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2017, 07:58 AM   #57
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep

Might also be able to handle the kickdown delete on the DME side by preventing the DME from ever flagging kickdown
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 07:26 PM   #58
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terraphantm View Post
Might also be able to handle the kickdown delete on the DME side by preventing the DME from ever flagging kickdown

Ya but it easy on the TCU side,

Just replace the Downshift RPM values in the 110% throttle column and no more unintended downshifts in manual mode.

Map value are Output Shaft Speed and should not be confused with Engine RPM.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-05-2017, 08:04 PM   #59
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
While I'm on the subject, I think I have figured out some of the torque management maps. I could not figure out why the "D" mode maps had less torque reduction then the sport maps. But then I started looking at the shift times and you can see that the sport shift patterns are quicker and thus require more torque reduction to protect the gearbox

Torque reduction maps, I have hypothesized are a factor multiplied against the reported engine torque and then transmitted via CAN back to the engine as a new torque target. Values seem consistent with some of my earlier engine logging. Ya, that's real 39% cut in power for the full duration of the full load shift.

Shift time maps are compared against gearbox temperature so If you assume an operating temperature around 80 degrees the "D" maps shift in 620 milliseconds vs. 420 milliseconds for the quickshift/ Sport maps.

One note on the Torque Reduction maps, The are probably better named torque management as they will also add torque to an over-driven downshift.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
tetsuo1111227.00
      04-10-2017, 05:02 PM   #60
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Update:

Rev limit changes work, I was a little more aggressive with the limits on my latest file and logged a 7158 shift with my Slow Elm 327, so the shift was probably a little higher. The shift limit is not a cut and dry number. The TCU needs to calculate a predicted max RPM through the shift rather than wait for a specific RPM. So if you are pulling fast through first gear the TCU needs to start the shift sooner than it would pulling through 4th.

I also raised the torque targets a bit but I was too conservative with the values to notice the changes without proper logging. I changed 1>2 and 2>3 values above 50% throttle in sport mode not thinking about how hard it is to test those in every day driving. Way too easy to attract the wrong kind of attention testing those maps without more open roads then I had today.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2017, 07:32 AM   #61
iahawkeye
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 328i e92

wow... this is pretty cool if I do say so. I wish I could help in some way but this stuff is pretty much beyond me.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 06:51 PM   #62
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
I'm still plucking away at this. Tried a new file today with new torque management values for all the sport mode up-shifts. Results are confusing, all of the torque reduction requests during upshifts disappeared while the down shifts requests stayed intact. Not really what I thought was going to happen. In addition all up-shifts where affected, sport, manual and D. Not just the sport mode.

To add to the mystery. The data logs show much slower gear shifts. Up-shifts are also soft. Nothing like the harsh shifts I get when I disable the DME torque reduction feature. Nothing bad just feels like D mode. I'd never manage any of this without Pheno's TestO.

It's beginning to look like there are more changes between the first generation ZF and the second generation boxes than extra maps for the Alpina mode and torque converter operation.

I think my next file will have just two or three upshift maps modified. See if I can get the torque reduction back in the unchanged gear shifts.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2017, 09:13 AM   #63
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Ok reverted 2nd and 3rd gear maps back to stock and the results proved a few things.

1. At least these maps are not mode dependent. The affect all three Sport, Manual and D.

2. I can control the torque reduction per gear. 2nd and 3rd shifts changed back to normal but the others remained with no toque reduction control.

Up and down shifts have their own maps for torque management.

Really good clues and it makes me think that a file that I ran last week was really much better than I thought.
Appreciate 1
tetsuo1111227.00
      04-24-2017, 08:39 PM   #64
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
I moved over to the maps that follow the Sport mode torque correction values in the Xhp XDF and found similar results.

Changes affect all three modes, Sport, Manual and D.

Shifts are certainly firmer but I can't say why. Its either a faster shift or a tighter converter through the shift, I just cant see it in the logs. I need a few more logs to analyze the input and output RPMs through the shifts. Right now it shifts gently at low loads and then bites pretty good when on the throttle. Still falls a little soft when shifting from 7,000+ RPMs. Might need more clutch pressure to get it right.

When I'm finished with this map group I'm going to look at the shift timing and then shift pressures.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 11:19 AM   #65
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Map Layouts

If I have the 8x10 shift pressure maps correct there is an 8x8 map between each of them. The shift pressure maps Schaltdruck seem to follow the public Xhp 8x10 maps pretty well with Torque on one axes and RPMs on the other. Values and layouts look about right. But the 8x8 map between each one has me a little mystified. Anyone have any ideas? The values look like they should follow shift time in milliseconds.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 09:07 PM   #66
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
If I have the 8x10 shift pressure maps correct there is an 8x8 map between each of them. The shift pressure maps Schaltdruck seem to follow the public Xhp 8x10 maps pretty well with Torque on one axes and RPMs on the other. Values and layouts look about right. But the 8x8 map between each one has me a little mystified. Anyone have any ideas? The values look like they should follow shift time in milliseconds.
In case anyone in the gasoline world is watching, I think my TCU tune number 15 has promise. I finally have something that is tightening the high RPM upshifts. I'll log this tune as soon as possible but it certainly felt good running to the grocery store this evening.
Appreciate 1
fravel1644.50