E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Rattling noise coming from engine when cold (n52) Possible timing chain?

12-11-2019, 08:30 PM   #1
sleepye92
Rep
Drives: 328i E92 Coupe

Question Rattling noise coming from engine when cold (n52) Possible timing chain?

Hey guys I have this weird problem that I've had ever since I've had the car.

Mind you it's a 2009 E92 328i and has had several owners, I live in Canada so I have a feeling it was abused while the engine's been cold in the past.

Basically if the engine is cold and I'm driving in 2nd or 3rd gear and get to 2,500rpm or so and let go of the throttle completely I get this chain-slap grinding noise. If I tap the throttle it makes a louder scraping noise almost like the timing chain is slapping the guides and continues making the grinding noise as the engine goes from producing power to being driven by the wheels (coasting).

The car runs fine and I baby it until it hits operating temperature around 100C oil temp, but I've noticed especially in these nasty winter temps, anytime before it warms up, that very distinct rattling / grinding noise -- almost sounds like a running diesel engine mixed with scraping noises.

Also I've replaced the timing chain tensioner and I do oil changes every 10,000 kms, plus the previous owner did every 7,000km intervals.

It's not my clutch or transmission since it happens when clutch is pushed in or I'm in neutral and I rev the engine, nor is it my wheel bearings or brakes or anything.

Lastly, the noise gets less and less drastic until it completely disappears once I get to 90-100C oil temp (operating temperature) and from there the engine runs really well and I can hit 6,500rpm all day.

Anyone have this problem? I think the car will be fine but I'd hate to have the timing chain skip and grenade the engine after all the TLC I've given this car in the past year I've owned it. I also eventually have to do my VCG so I'll inspect the chain then.

I can try to get a video of it but honestly I've tried before and my phone doesn't pick up the sound well.

Last edited by sleepye92; 06-19-2020 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 07:27 PM   #2
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
I was gonna recommend replacing that side tensioner but you've done it. There's also one in the head but that requires valve cover removal. Watch out it's not something simpler like a heat shield or the catalytic converter broken up inside. Also try starting with the ac compressor off. My compressor makes a weird noise too. N52s dont have reputation for bad chain guides so I would doubt it. I'd have someone with lots of experience on these cars and good reputation look at it
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 09:21 AM   #3
spidertri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 128i 6MT Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Look up the vanos bolts recall. I've read that it makes the engine sound like a diesel.

I think if the model wasn't part of the recall it at least had a 10yr extended warranty.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1095480
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 08:02 AM   #4
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Even though you did a great job explaining your issue without a video these things are damn hard to diagnose over the internet. Being that your also in TO if you wanted to meet up we could compare N52 noises and see if there is something odd, problem might be re-creating it after the car warms up after meeting up. My car is garaged now but we could attempt a cold startup and see there is any weird differences. Over the last 9 years of my 330i ownership I've heard some strange crap from my engine, always worried but ultimately always ended up coming to the conclusion that is was normal. I'm about to hit 300k km's on it and its still running top notch even after 2-3 summer seasons of track abuse.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 09:29 AM   #5
Vibemyway
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 220d

I think i may have the same issue, i have a slap sound (tick) when the engine is running
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 03:21 PM   #6
sleepye92
Rep
Drives: 328i E92 Coupe

Hate to revive this dead thread, but just wanted to update, the car has technically been doing this for a year now. I just drive it as gingerly as I can until it hits 90-100C operating temperature.

I suppose if the timing chain was going to fail, it would've by now because I routinely give the car an italian tune up every time I drive it by flooring it to near redline (once its warmed up of course).

If it does ever catestophically fail I'll post here lol.
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2020, 09:46 AM   #7
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibemyway View Post
I think i may have the same issue, i have a slap sound (tick) when the engine is running
Isn’t that the typical n52 valve lifter noise that goes away once warmed up?
      07-06-2020, 08:38 PM   #8
wayman519
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 N52 6MT A51

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2009 128i  [0.00]
Just shooting random diagnostic stuff might help:

Run the engine cold, open the oil cap. Can you hear the slap/grinding from where the chain is? Is it super loud with the oil cap off? What colour is the metal when you shine a light in there? Black/sludge or gold and shiny?

I heard theres a bolt that could come loose in the vanos/chain area. Might be the cam adjuster nocking around - far reaching guess

Damn i replied to your thread too late. I helped some people out posting in the youtube comment section above - there is an extended warranty for that rattle 10 years from bmw.

What oil are you using? LL01 ?

Check/replace your vanos filters? Could be clogged or the check valve is completely shot. This could cause the head to drain the oil that is suppose to stay up there when engine is shut off.

Do a couple really short oil changes.
Or Maybe use a liqui moly engine flush.

Tear down your oil filter after every change. Is there any debris in the filter? Metal ? plastic?
Appreciate 0