E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > Porsche Leaving IMSA After 2020

06-04-2020, 05:07 PM   #1
theox05
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 GT4

Porsche Leaving IMSA After 2020

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsp...sa-after-2020/

I hate the decision. These races drive desire for their cars. Also, I have to think this has more to do with their VW masters than actual COVID impact. Hope they return in 2022.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 05:23 PM   #2
243Racing
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

But all I hear about is how the BOP is tilted in Porsche’s favor
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 05:28 PM   #3
bitterspeak
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80

It's all Volkswagen. As a way to recover from Diesel-Gate, they've pledged their future to zero-emission vehicles.

They've announced their intent to pull out of all racing series that use an internal combustion engine. I believe they'll still sell customer cars/parts but they will no longer have factory teams. This will impact VW, Audi, Porsche, Lamborghini, Ducati, SEAT, Skoda.

Soon, Mercedes is going to follow suit. I believe they too have paused development of their ICE units.

The racing world is going to change dramatically in the next 10-years.
Appreciate 2
243Racing1447.50
Conissah1574.50
      06-04-2020, 05:38 PM   #4
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

NO!

Horrible to hear, and hope that what bitterspeak said isn't true about more manufacturers following suit.
Appreciate 1
243Racing1447.50
      06-04-2020, 06:13 PM   #5
Matthew_M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by theox05 View Post
https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsp...sa-after-2020/

I hate the decision. These races drive desire for their cars. Also, I have to think this has more to do with their VW masters than actual COVID impact. Hope they return in 2022.
A few things to note here regarding this.

COVID19 has had major impacts on all sectors of the economy and brands who sell more expensive vehicles, like Porsche, would be hit harder by the economic impacts than others. Ultimately, I'm not surprised by this that much, I had a feeling we'd lose a manufacturer somewhere, although my money was on BMW to be the one to leave.

Another thing to consider is the potential LMDh entry by Porsche which would made their GTLM program expendable. Cost to run the two programs simultaneously would've been too big. Also, the writing is on the wall for GTLM/GTE as a class anyways. Large investments into the cars/teams for that class have kept manufacturers away and this pushes that notion. We'll probably still see GTE in the WEC but I doubt we'll see GTLM in IMSA within the next year or two.

I have a feeling BMW is the next manufacturer to leave GTLM, seeing that they've been on the fence about the program since the beginning of the year. Once they leave, Corvettes gone too and I bet it's for good unless GM ponies up the money to develop a GT3 car.
I'm curious what IMSA is going to do now to diversify the field or try and pull a new manufacturer in etc
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 02:17 AM   #6
mk1-fan
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterspeak View Post
It's all Volkswagen. As a way to recover from Diesel-Gate, they've pledged their future to zero-emission vehicles.

They've announced their intent to pull out of all racing series that use an internal combustion engine. I believe they'll still sell customer cars/parts but they will no longer have factory teams. This will impact VW, Audi, Porsche, Lamborghini, Ducati, SEAT, Skoda.

Soon, Mercedes is going to follow suit. I believe they too have paused development of their ICE units.

Agreed, and that is very sad.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 03:53 PM   #7
Flashstar
Brand New
France
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterspeak View Post
I think in the next 5 years.

Audi quits DTM series. Porsche quits IMSA. Many racing teams go bankrupt due to the virus. Big companies and sponsors are beginning to think about the need for sponsorship in motorsport.

At the Nürburgring, the first race of the VLN Endurance will be June 27th. It is very interesting to see who goes there. The borders of the European Union are closed. Japan will not come. China will not come. Russia will not come. USA will not come. Australia, Hong Kong, Korea and many others.

There will be no spectators in the stands. Nice to invest in a great racing show and teams. But when everything is empty, no one has interest.

This is all very sad.