E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > e90 335i oil pan gasket advise

08-14-2018, 06:39 PM   #1
stephenf121
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

e90 335i oil pan gasket advise

Hey guys,
About to tackle changing my oil pan gasket this weekend and I was looking for some advise. Most DIY's recommend disconnecting the control arms from the subframe allowing the subframe to hang, would it be easier to just unbolt the struts from the strut towers and allowing the subframe to come down with all of the suspension/brakes/etc? I ask because i am replacing a string on one side during this process and will have one strut disconnected already. Would simply unbolting the other strut allow the entire subframe and suspension to come down once unbolted? Or will I still need to disconnect the rest of the suspension bits (control arms/ etc)... as always, thanks for the advice.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 07:23 PM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I did my pan gasket on my N52 via the subframe dropped, but the subframe/suspension is the same. I've done struts twice also, so I know the assemblies well. Not sure why you'd replace just one spring and not both as a pair. You have to unbolt the plastic heater pipe/hose to get the subframe dropped far enough to get the pan out. The 335i may be different. I think there is a limit to how much slack the steering column has to let the subframe drop. I'd be concerned about the struts flopping around once they are unbolted from the towers.

If you decide to replace the spring then just open the hub carrier (King pin) and pop the strut body from the hub carrier.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 02:09 PM   #3
PA66400
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

You're better off to hang the subframe and then do the strut work after reattaching. If you drop the struts with the subframe you will have a heck of a time trying to reassemble. It is hard enough to just drop the subframe with attachments - there is a lot of bulk to reassemble.
Appreciate 0