E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Shift Style Black Carbon Fiber Shifter Boot & E-Brake Boot **FULL REVIEW/DIY**

05-28-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Shift Style Black Carbon Fiber Shifter Boot & E-Brake Boot **FULL REVIEW/DIY**

I think most on here know I tend to focus on power mods quite a bit, but lately I have started to focus a little more on the cosmetic side of my 335i. One of the things I really like about my 3 series is the interior, but like anything else I have felt there were areas I could improve. With a matte carbon fiber theme on my NX nitrous toggle mounting plate and Snow Performance methanol controller mounting plate, I felt that it might look nice to expand that carbon fiber theme to the shifter boot and e-brake boot. Another member on the forum mentioned he had got some boots from ShiftStyle.com, so I felt it was worth looking into.

I went on ShiftStyle.com and the first thing I noticed is that they have a LOT of different options. They have an extensive list of colors:

http://www.shiftstyle.com/color_chart.php

They also have an extensive list of styles:

http://www.shiftstyle.com/boot_style.php

Just as a side note, they do have alcantara which I know is very popular with the BMW crowd.

At first all the options were a little intimidating, but I thought about exactly what I was looking for and got my game plan together. I like their black carbon fiber material and it matched well with what I have, so I chose that material. There are a number of styles from quad stitch, to multi-tone, to stripes, etc. What I chose is a black colored double French stitch option for my black carbon fiber boot. I felt this would keep the attention on the carbon fiber material and that was my goal.

The pricing is incredibly good on the Shift Style boots ($60 for both), so I was curious what the quality would be and if they would install easily while retaining OEM fitment. Basically, these would be a really good deal or an inexpensive experiment. I felt for $60 it was worth trying the Shift Style e-brake and shifter boots.

Experience with ShiftStyle.com

I emailed ShiftStyle.com early on to ask a few questions about the material and the time it would take for me to get the boots. Shift Style was very informative and they were pleasant in the email conversations I had with them. They made it easier to decide on materials because I did debate a few different options. I made my order with ShiftStyle.com and was told the boots would be produced within about 2 days and should arrive at my door 4-6 business days later. As expected, 6 business days later the package was sitting in my mailbox ready to install.

The package came in a bubble wrap envelope to protect the items.

I opened the package to find the boots protected well during the shipment process and in pristine condition. The material looks fantastic and stitching is very attractive.

Here is a closer look at the material. As you can see it is very nice looking fabric and traditional black carbon fiber material. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Now a close look at the french double stitching. It is sharp looking and clean.

Finally, the base of both boots has an elastic band sewn in to make installation easier. This proved to be very benefitial during the installation process.

Overall this was an easy transaction. The boot quality was superb, so the only question would be can I get an OEM like fit?

Installation

You accept all risk and responsibility when installing the Shift Style boots on your car. This is only an example of how I installed the parts.

The kit came with no instructions at all, so I want to prepare you for that. For that reason, I have created a pretty extensive DIY here, so that should become irrelevant and I hope this can walk you through every aspect of the install.

Removing the stock e-brake boot and shifter boot is very easy. They are held in by pressure clips and a zip tie (e-brake). We will start by removing the e-brake boot. As stated, the boot is held in by pressure clips, so you will simply pop the boot out by pulling in the direction of the arrows shown below.

Here is an image of the e-brake boot popped off and you can see the pressure clips attached. This is really an easy process.

Finally, you will pull the boot over the e-brake handle to expose the zip tie shown below. Just cut that zip tie and you will replace it later. The kit does not include the zip tie, so just pick up a small package for $1.50 at your local auto parts store or home depot. Just match the width of the zip tie to create a good OEM seal.

Once the zip tie is cut, the entire boot assembly comes out. Place it to the side and we will now remove the shifter boot. To remove your shift knob, simply pull it toward the roof of your car. Be careful that you do not pull it toward your face.

Once you have the shift knob removed, then proceed to pull out the boot. It is also held in by pressure clips and is removed very easily. I normally lodge my fingers under the front of the boot near the blue arrows to release the clips.

Once you release it enough, just work your way around the frame and pop the shift boot out.

Now, just slide the boot off the shifter and it is time to start the installation of the new boots.

Let's get started now on removing the stock boots from the plastic frames. You will notice the stock boots are held to the frame with slits that are placed over the plastic clips and then simply adhesive was used to hold the boots to the side of the frame. Start by pulling the stock boot material away from the plastic frame. I pulled the material over the clip first then worked my way around the frame using my hands only.

This will leave you with the frame and boot separated. At this point note the orientation of the boot to the frame. It is easiest to look at the stitch lines so you know which way the new boot will be installed. Now let's install the new boot. Earlier I told you about the elastic band that Shift Style places around the base of the boot, well now you will see why it was a good idea. You will simply pull the boot over the frame up to the clips.

At this point there are two ways you can precede. You can simply line everything up and install it or you can use a little spray adhesive to secure the boot to the frame. I chose to use the spray adhesive because I felt I could get a perfect seam when reinstalling the boot in the car. I used 3M High Strength (90 strength) spray adhesive.

I simply sprayed this alone the edge facing the passenger door and driver door, allowed to dry for 2 minutes, and then attach the material using pressure. Here is the result:

For the e-brake boot, simply follow the same procedure. Here is the frame removed from the stock boot.

Again on the e-brake boot, you can use spray adhesive to secure the boot to the frame or just allow the pressure when installed in the car to hold it in place. I felt the spray adhesive gave me the seam I wanted when installed and chose that route of installation.

Now it is time to re-install the boots. Just reverse the procedure used to remove the boots. Remember you will need to zip tie the e-brake boot to the handle in the same manner as the stock boot. Make sure the material stays in place on the frame when clipping the frames back in the car and you will have great results.

Results

We will start with the ShiftStyle.com shifter boot. Notice how it lays like stock and the seam along the frame is clean and smooth.

Finally, you can see it goes very, very well with the Snow Performance mounting plate.

The e-brake boot again sits just like the stock boot. The shift boot seam where the frame and console connect looks just perfect as well.

Finally, everything together.

I am really, really pleased with how good they look. The material lays just like the stock boot and the seam/seal along the frame is stock like. The look is absolutely beautiful I didn't lose the stock look fit at all.

Conclusions

ShiftStyle.com was very easy to order with. They answered all the questions I had in a very timely manner. They followed the production/shipping promises and I had the items in my hands 6 business days later. The kit did not come with any instructions at all, but I hope this DIY can help solve that problem if you choose to purchase these boots.

The quality of the boots is fantastic. The black carbon fiber material is sharp and lays like the OEM material. The black french stitching is attractive and clean. The fitment is truly OEM and the result is customized boots that fit as good as the stock boots. I went into this thinking the Shift Style e-brake boot and shifter boot are $60, so if this doesn't work out then it was an inexpensive experiment. I could always try another company if this didn't work out. I came out of my experience with ShiftStyle.com with beautiful black carbon fiber boots with OEM-like fitment. I am very pleased with the results and wouldn't hesitate to order again.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
NFS13
Car Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is / R8

Garage List
Great DIY and even better results. I love the wood with the CF parts.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
Ovalcram
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

Great DIY! And thanks for introducing me to this company! I've never heard about them before. Looks great though! Could look a lot cleaner if the CF finish matched the gauge you have in the ashtray.

I think I might jump the gun on this with alcantara/red stitching.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 02:07 AM   #4
dirtyylicous
Swagger on a trillion
Rep
Drives: IS300

Nice man! Props to you for taking the time and doing these reviews.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M

Looks good, heres a pic of some alcantara shift boots from shift style, they actually used my stock boots to make a template .

05-30-2010, 10:37 AM   #6
Mike@F1 Autohaüs
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ❤

Looks good
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 06:45 AM   #7
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS13 View Post
Great DIY and even better results. I love the wood with the CF parts.
NFS13, I am plased with the match as well. CF seems to go very well with the black interior trim.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 06:46 AM   #8
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalcram View Post
Great DIY! And thanks for introducing me to this company! I've never heard about them before. Looks great though! Could look a lot cleaner if the CF finish matched the gauge you have in the ashtray.

I think I might jump the gun on this with alcantara/red stitching.
The flash kind of seems to be responsible for the difference. In person they are spot on. Maybe I just dust the other parts. LOL.

Alcantra with red stitching will look incredible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyylicous View Post
Nice man! Props to you for taking the time and doing these reviews.
dirtyylicous, I am just glad they help!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 06:47 AM   #9
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328i View Post
Looks good, heres a pic of some alcantara shift boots from shift style, they actually used my stock boots to make a template .
The alcantra looks fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@F1 Autohaüs View Post
Looks good
Mike, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 10:37 AM   #10
E90RYANJB
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Very nice!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 05:33 AM   #11
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90RYANJB View Post
Very nice!
E90RYANJB, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 09:31 PM   #12
ctanod
Banned
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi

cool
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 06:04 AM   #13
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctanod View Post
cool
They still look like day 1 so far. It is a great mod for only $60.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 01:05 PM   #14
mbgt72
Rep
Drives: sold: 2002 325ci steel blue

I'm sorry to bump an old thread, but I've been trying to get in touch with Shift Style for over a month now with no response, and in another week's time, my parts will have been missing for two months time. I have received no return email since June 23rd, and shipped my product via USPS on June 28th. I have tried NUMEROUS times to contact them both via email and their contact form on their site. At this time I don't even care if they send me the alcantra boot, I just want my oem parts back as the cost to replace each part with new oem parts is going to be very pricy!

I sent my Shift Boot, Shift Knob & Shift Surround (oem carbon fiber) all to them so that I could have a alcantra Shift Boot Free (a program they do if they do not have your model in their database, which they didn't have one for my 2005 S4). I also shipped my E-Brake handle to have it wrapped and was expecting a bill for this to be done, which would be no problem as it was extra labor. But at this point, I have received NO response to any form of contact I have tried, and feel as a last resort I must track them down through forum posts. If nothing else, let this serve as a warning for anyone else looking to purchase through them or send their parts in as I did.

Thank you for your time and any help on the matter.
Appreciate 0