E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > MHD single bank fueling: O2 sensor readiness?

08-24-2023, 03:02 AM   #1
n54praiser
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

MHD single bank fueling: O2 sensor readiness?

Hey guys, a little intro: I've been FBO for a few years and now looking into going ST. Doing some research and got stuck on something that I need to solve before I can even consider going ST.

A recent MHD update allows for single bank fueling meaning only bank 1 O2s can be used and DME can control boost. This is specifically for ST setups. I'm interested in this setup so that I can directly hook up a MAC solenoid to the stock solenoid connector and get boost control via MHD.

Now what I'm not sure about is if this setup will allow both O2 readiness tests to pass. I need these to pass emissions. On my current setup with the normal O2 config, catless downpipes and a DP fix, I can pass all readiness tests. Knowing this I'm sure the cat readiness should pass but I'm not sure about the O2 ones since obv only bank 1 is now plugged in. Couldn't find anything on this as I assume not a lot of people run this setup.

My questions are:
1. Does the single bank setup still let both of the O2 sensor readiness tests pass with a DP fix?

2. With the DR700 kit from DOC Race, both O2 sensor bungs are at the end of the downpipe, post cat. Can both bank 1 sensors be mounted there for this setup? Because MHD mentions bank 1 must be installed post-turbo/pre-cat (primary) and post-cat (secondary).

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 10:24 PM   #2
vanhalen5150
ST Monaco Blau
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

wow so empty........ really nobody on here has done single bank fueling? everyone give up on n54 ST's?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 02:46 AM   #3
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

This is where people discuss their theories about which OTS version fixes their misfires. Nothing technical.

You can pass inspection with single bank but you need a special flash. The other forums have more discussion on it.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 09:24 AM   #4
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

funny enough, yesterday I was googling this topic and found this thread, and I was about to post.

I dont have the answer on that, but my question is ;

- If we have the choice of OEM fueling (4x O2 sensors) or single bank (2x O2 sensors), which route should I go?

Can is cause issues running single bank on the long run, especially if we have mismatch injectors ; in example indel 12 on bank 2 and index 5 on bank 1.

for emission, I dont see why you'll wont pass, ifrom what I understand the way it works is the same, but single instead of parallel.

For doc race, I dont know, but you can check how Speedthech did it ; for single fueling ; the bank 1 primary is on the downpipe right after the hot side, and the secondary are on the split downpipe. There's like 3' distance . primary is used for a/f, since its a wideband.

Last edited by oVeRdOsE.; 11-29-2023 at 09:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 09:38 AM   #5
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE. View Post
funny enough, yesterday I was googling this topic and found this thread, and I was about to post.

I dont have the answer on that, but my question is ;

- If we have the choice of OEM fueling (4x O2 sensors) or single bank (2x O2 sensors), which route should I go?

Can is cause issues running single bank on the long run, especially if we have mismatch injectors ; in example indel 12 on bank 2 and index 5 on bank 1.

for emission, I dont see why you'll wont pass, ifrom what I understand the way it works is the same, but single instead of parallel.

For doc race, I dont know, but you can check how Speedthech did it ; for single fueling ; the bank 1 primary is on the downpipe right after the hot side, and the secondary are on the split downpipe. There's like 3' distance . primary is used for a/f, since its a wideband.
You should match the configuration of your fuelling with the physical configuration.

If you have just 1 exhaust manifold then you need single bank, otherwise you'll be independently adjusting the fuelling on the first 3 banks from the second 3 but they feed into a common manifold so the trim control will be incorrect. It'll run, but not very well.
Appreciate 1
oVeRdOsE.3325.00
      11-29-2023, 09:40 AM   #6
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
You should match the configuration of your fuelling with the physical configuration.

If you have just 1 exhaust manifold then you need single bank, otherwise you'll be independently adjusting the fuelling on the first 3 banks from the second 3 but they feed into a common manifold so the trim control will be incorrect. It'll run, but not very well.
I have a speedtech ST . so they give you the choice.

Waiting for O2 spacer to avoid burning them, but looking to go single bank instead. I'm not sure it's so 'safe' for a N54.

Last edited by oVeRdOsE.; 11-29-2023 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 10:02 AM   #7
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE. View Post
I have a speedtech ST .

Waiting for O2 spacer to avoid burning them, but looking to go single bank instead. I'm not sure it's so 'safe' for a N54.
Single bank would be safer than double. At least you have accurate AFR control.
Appreciate 1
oVeRdOsE.3325.00
      11-29-2023, 10:06 AM   #8
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
Single bank would be safer than double. At least you have accurate AFR control.
really ?

I simply dont understand how the car use it at the beginning, so hard for me to understand.

Because if it's a metric to control fueling, Im scared to have lean condition on my bank 1 since I have index 5.

However, I know this is less prone to fail and have bad readings.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 06:19 AM   #9
Mustafa.e92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335i

I’ve been through a few sets of 02 sensors. Even with the speed tech kit having the bongs designed more out of the heat eventually they die. The sensors are not designed for a pre turbo environment. Much more heat that the sensors don’t like. Yes their is the advtange of having the banks split up for more accurate bank to bank fuel control. However if your car up to snuff it’s not a point if concern. Majority of in-line 6 single turbo vehicles only use 1 pre/ 1 post cat sensor so it’s not really an issue.
I’ve been single bank 02 for a while now no issues at all and no dead sensors. Cleaner fuel trims and overall the car feels smoother. Pre cat 02 sensor in the downpipe few inches after the turbo. Post cat sensor in the stock location
Appreciate 1
oVeRdOsE.3325.00