E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Subframe Replacement is it worth it?

12-15-2023, 07:45 AM   #1
jwrag2000
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330d e93

Subframe Replacement is it worth it?

Hi my 2007 E93 330d has weird handling which I believe is due to a damged rear subframe. The car sits lower on the drivers side, the rear end sways around over uneven surfaces and the whole car has insane body roll. I have replace shocks, springs, suspension arms and bsuhings all round and this hasn't improved things. I think the problem is either a bent subframe or worn out subframe bushings or both. The car is worth about £4k and the job will probably cost £1-2k. Is it worth it or should I just sell the car of cheaply explaining the problem when advertising it.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 08:15 AM   #2
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

I assume you're paying someone to do it? If I were doing it myself I'd hope yo have it done for less than £500 (decent used subframe, new (M3) bushings, maybe a press/puller tool set, consumables, alignment).

I'd ask a decent indy for prices with or without parts and go from there. Would hope to see not much over £1000 all in. At £2000ish I'd have doubts too.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 10:58 AM   #3
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

It's honestly a question only you can answer. If you are planning on keeping the car..? If it's a problem big enough to warrant throwing money at..?? Sometimes a thousand or two is an easier number to tackle then a whole new to you car payment.

Anyone buying a car in the under $5k range knows they will have some sort of repairs needed.

My roommate had a car with several problems he was like do you advertise and list the problems or do you advertise come check it out. In the long run it was determined that a buyer at that price would probably be a college student single mom fixed budget grandparent etc... He ended up advertising with the problems listed and surprisingly had a bidding war from backyard mechanics and small shops looking for a project car to flip. With the added bonus he could sleep at night.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 11:01 AM   #4
jwrag2000
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330d e93

Planning to keep as I'm alread in to deep!

Yes, probably will keep it as I;ve spent too much already. Hopefully this will be the car sorted as all suspension is new, new brake discs/rotors front and back. If I do need to sell I might be able to get a premium for all the work I've done.

Last edited by jwrag2000; 12-15-2023 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 06:50 AM   #5
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

Before you start looking for a subframe etc, validate that it is indeed the issue.
Unless the car was sitting lower like that before all the suspension work you did, I highly doubt you bent the subframe with all new components on the rear. You would have damaged your new control arms and shocks before bending the subframe.

Check all the installed parts. Did you replace the shock mounts and spring rubber perches?
Were all the arms and bushings tightened to proper torque in the loaded position?
Springs control the ride height, check those closely.

Good luck and snap some pics if you can to see how much of a drop that is.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 10:13 AM   #6
marvinstockman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Has car been in an accident? Check with Carfax.
Appreciate 0