E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Oil recommendation for 328i?

03-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
Ben213
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90

Oil recommendation for 328i?

I was driving back from Vegas and my engine oil check light went on. I drove it home from about 150 miles without adding oil. I'm sure I'm fine for now.

Which oil brand (if not BMW) and viscosity should I add?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

I'd recommend BMW branded 5w30 synthetic (OEM oil for our cars). It is generally cost competitive with other synthetics, even from a dealer.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 04:04 AM   #3
micah_675
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Garage List
2024 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
I'd recommend BMW branded 5w30 synthetic (OEM oil for our cars). It is generally cost competitive with other synthetics, even from a dealer.

Tom
All that is, is Mobile 1 rebranded..... I would HIGHLY suggest against Mobile 1. Get some royal purple or amsoil, (start the flaming cause it isn't in your manual to use it. And because I suggested Amsoil OH NOES!) There is a thread around here somewhere, that I posted proof Mobile 1 is crap. I'll see if I can find it.

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

Read the article. Since most people are ignorant on oil. This article actually explains the coding and will help you understand the best oil for you. Not to mention they actually TEST the oil.

Being spoon fed what someone else wants you to believe (in this case BMW) breeds ignorance. Make your decision based on knowledge not speculation or what someone tells you. This is just one piece of information and there is much more out there. Look for yourself.

Last edited by micah_675; 03-14-2011 at 04:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 06:15 AM   #4
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

If your car is still under warranty, BMW oil only. You will void your warranty if anything happens to your engine and they find a different oil.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 07:36 AM   #5
micah_675
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2024 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW325xi View Post
If your car is still under warranty, BMW oil only. You will void your warranty if anything happens to your engine and they find a different oil.
No any oil that holds the bmw LL-01 rating will not void your warranty. Which means you dont have to drink BMW flavored water. His car obviously isnt under warranty as it is an 07......

Also, here is some good info in the form of a forum and website.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/in...tpage&Itemid=1

Be prepared to do math and rack your brain. Take time to educate yourself.

Last edited by micah_675; 03-14-2011 at 07:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 07:44 AM   #6
bimmerque
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_675 View Post
All that is, is Mobile 1 rebranded..... I would HIGHLY suggest against Mobile 1. Get some royal purple or amsoil, (start the flaming cause it isn't in your manual to use it. And because I suggested Amsoil OH NOES!) There is a thread around here somewhere, that I posted proof Mobile 1 is crap. I'll see if I can find it.

Read the article. Since most people are ignorant on oil. This article actually explains the coding and will help you understand the best oil for you. Not to mention they actually TEST the oil.

Being spoon fed what someone else wants you to believe (in this case BMW) breeds ignorance. Make your decision based on knowledge not speculation or what someone tells you. This is just one piece of information and there is much more out there. Look for yourself.
+1000! True Statement!
      03-14-2011, 08:37 AM   #7
micah_675
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2024 M2  [0.00]
Here is some interesting info about mobile one.......

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2081441

No TL;DR's please, you need to read the info.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 11:11 AM   #8
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
No any oil that holds the bmw LL-01 rating will not void your warranty. Which means you dont have to drink BMW flavored water. His car obviously isnt under warranty as it is an 07......

Also, here is some good info in the form of a forum and website.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/in...tpage&Itemid=1

Be prepared to do math and rack your brain. Take time to educate yourself.
There are additional tracers in the oil that BMW has Castrol put in, so they do know if you're using BMW oil and will give you a major hassle if they're not in there.

If he bought a CPO with an extended warranty then he would still be covered.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 04:36 AM   #9
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:

Actually, I'm fairly certain it's rebranded Castrol - just as it states on the oil fill cap...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 05:11 PM   #10
AlanAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 325i sport manual

Best to top-up with the same oil as what is in there (to keep the additive pkg the same.) You probably had it changed last at a dealer, go back for a top-up or buy a qt from them. If it's showing low, it will take close to a qt. And yes it's a rebranded Castrol, but you won't fill it on a shelf here.

As for the Mobil 1 hater above. Mobil 1 0w40 (note that I'm not saying 5w30, which is an older formula, and is inferior today), is the factory fill for AMG Mercedes, Porsche including turbo models, and Aston Martin. And is certified for use by BMW (only the 0w40.) If it's good enough for those, it's good enough for my lowly BMW NA engine. It gives me the best temp. range and my engine runs smoother in the extremes of winter and summer.

Last edited by AlanAZ; 03-15-2011 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 02:42 AM   #11
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
I was told (don't know how reliable) that the BMW Oil is rebranded Castrol Syntec Full Synthetic European Formula. This is NOT your normal Castrol Syntec oil made in USA found on most shelves. I has a slightly different color label, and clearly states 'Made in Germany' instead of 'Made in USA' on back label - along with 'Exceeds BMW Longlife-41'.

This oil is only found in Specific AutoZone stores in my area @ $6.50/qt - but still easier for me to aquire than driving to dealership.

This is what I use in the BMW for my inbetween oil changes. Pics show 0W-30 grade as that is what I use in my Trans Am - use 5W-30 in the BMW.

At any rate, if it's good enough for my 500RWHP V8, it's certainly good enough for the BMW 6er...

F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 04:56 AM   #12
micah_675
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2024 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Actually, I'm fairly certain it's rebranded Castrol - just as it states on the oil fill cap...
You might want to look at your filler cap again, it says RECOMMENDS Castrol. Not IS Castrol or has to have Castrol.

Regardless if it is the same oil sold by BMW, why do you pay 6.50 for it at autozone and BMW charges 8 dollars a quart.....

@alan

In my OWN personal vehicle I had constant rough idle using Mobil 1 0w-40 (I live in Germany and all I can get is European Vehical forumla), after switching to Royal Purple the idle is as smooth as butter. Argue what you want, but I have furnished proof of mobil 1's crappiness and you have ignored it. As I had stated in a different thread I would recommend Castrol before mobil 1.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 05:16 AM   #13
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Regardless if it is the same oil sold by BMW, why do you pay 6.50 for it at autozone and BMW charges 8 dollars a quart.....
Hard to believe you would even pose this question

Answer is simple - because BMW rapes you for cost of any part or service.

> As an example, recently I got a quote from BMW to mount and Hunter Road Force Balance (4) tires (non-rft) on 18" BMW wheels for $299!

I can go to the Mercedes/GM dealer where I take my Pontiac and have them perform the exact same service, on the exact same equipment for less than half the price...

> Or how about charging $300 to install (above & beyond the cost of the alarm) a factory alarm in a pre-wired car that took me 30min total to do?

> Or charging $300 to activate same alarm when all they do is plug the car into a computer, hit the go button and walk away? When I coded it to my VO for the cost of an $85 INPA KCan cable...

> Or wanting $299 for an alignment?

I mean, come on, even at the dealer $100/hr these prices don't make sense.

BMW seems to have this attitude that anything with their name on it is liquid gold & their shit don't smell.

Just because I can afford to have BMW's doesn't mean I want bent over every time I buy a part or get service - I HAVE $$ because I don't throw it in the toilet every chance I get.

In the end, the BMW NA 6 is no great 'exotic' engine, and any quality oil will work just fine.

Pretty soon BMW will be coming out with their own brand gasoline which is touted to be the ONLY kind of gas to use in a BMW - and charge $8/gal for it.

And there would be people that actually believe they must use it...
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2011, 05:26 AM   #14
micah_675
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2024 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
BMW seems to have this attitude that anything with their name on it is liquid gold & their shit don't smell.

Just because I can afford to have BMW's doesn't mean I want bent over every time I buy a part or get service - I HAVE $$ because I don't throw it in the toilet every chance I get.

In the end, the BMW NA 6 is no great 'exotic' engine, and any quality oil will work just fine.

Pretty soon BMW will be coming out with their own brand gasoline which is touted to be the ONLY kind of gas to use in a BMW - and charge $8/gal for it.

And there would be people that actually believe they must use it...
Your response is why I asked. BMW WANTS you to believe that the sky is actually green, Aluminum Wheels somehow cost 500 dollars a piece, and only the 4 people who paid them enough to endorse them on their website are the people who's oil you can use. A business is a business is a business, I always work off the premise that if they tell you something you can't prove, you've been fed a line.

The same goes with ExxonMobil's marketing, muck like Apple they have the PR spin gods working for them. They make it seem like they are the best on the market, when in reality they are only sub par (or average at best).

For future reference, thanks to the API pretty much every synthetic motor oil will not react when mixed with any other. Does that mean you should every chance you get, no, however if it holds the same certifications on the bottle, you should see absolutely no difference or harm done.

Again I give statements and links so you guys will read. Information is how you protect yourself from big business propaganda. Really anything anyone tells you who wants you to buy their product is propaganda cause they want to sway you in their favor. Education in the subject they are discussing is the only way to combat that.

The only reason I brought up price is the fact there are oils in that price range that are better.....
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 09:09 AM   #15
AngryScientist
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:

In my OWN personal vehicle I had constant rough idle using Mobil 1 0w-40 (I live in Germany and all I can get is European Vehical forumla), after switching to Royal Purple the idle is as smooth as butter. Argue what you want, but I have furnished proof of mobil 1's crappiness and you have ignored it. As I had stated in a different thread I would recommend Castrol before mobil 1.
first off, i think the "testing" data you posted is flawed at best. they used non industry standard testing methods, and used the exact same test for widely varying viscosities. is it a shock to anyone that royal purples 20W50 equivalent racing oil had higher shear strength than a 5w30 oil? hardly scientific.

secondly, care to venture an intelligent response as to why your car's rough idle was cured by switching the engine oil? my [educted] guess is one has zero to do with the other.
Appreciate 0