E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW/Mondial Extended warranty and wear and tear

10-30-2019, 12:55 PM   #1
Thermobaric
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

BMW/Mondial Extended warranty and wear and tear

I would be interested on people's thoughts on this.

I've had 3 items rejected under warranty due to them being considered wear and tear despite having a comprehensive warranty that claims to cover wear and tear up to 100K.

The one I'm most annoyed at is a failed upper shock mount has led to corrosion of the shock strut. A shock that was replaced under 30K miles ago (4 years ago). Apparently BMW only expect them to last 2 years.

Second one is the gearbox output shaft seal requires replacing.

Third more understandable one is a track rod end rubber split.

The only thing I see mentioned in the warranty info of exclusions is weather strips and seals not covered. Is that going to extend to all seals then? Not just weather related?

Am I being unreasonable here expecting these to be covered?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 10:02 PM   #2
stringy93
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 318d msport

They’ve clamped down a lot recently so I understand, you used to be able to get away with all sorts of claims. Mine went in for the abs rings last month but because they failed due to corrosion they aren’t covered. I did however whilst it was in get the timing chain replaced due to a slight noise. That was nearly a 2 week battle though between them and my dealers with them wanting more and more information and checks before they’d give the go ahead.

They’ve always been great in the 5 years I’ve had the warranty and I’ve always recommended them. Recently though I have started to think is it worth it if they are going to start arguing everything and use the good old wear and tear clause
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 04:34 AM   #3
wallsmk2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91 325i

I think it really does vary between dealer and their motivation to fight your corner. I have the same cover and because I have a very long relationship with the service department, every issue I reasonable thought would be covered, has been. I am at 120k on a 13 year old car and all servicing carried out by this dealer. I recently had the sump gasket and oil filter gasket replaced under the warranty. Previously I've had coils, a gearbox, torque converter, various electrical issues etc etc. Suspension parts and anything related I would not even consider claiming for, even with this enhanced wear and tear amendment recently. So my understanding is that seals are covered, not door seals obviously. In fact, I think the lower levels of cover say it won't pay for the rectification of oil leaks, but the comprehensive cover doesn't state this.

So I would hope the output shaft seal would be covered but everything else I would be surprised if they agreed to a claim.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 06:03 AM   #4
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I think wear and tear is covered but it's how it's defined. So corrosion isn't classed really as wear and tear I think and hence they use that to reject the claim.

Bit crap but as wallsmk2 mentions it does help having a good relationship with your dealer as they tend to fight it a little more for you if they can.
      10-31-2019, 01:09 PM   #5
Thermobaric
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringy93 View Post
They’ve clamped down a lot recently so I understand, you used to be able to get away with all sorts of claims. Mine went in for the abs rings last month but because they failed due to corrosion they aren’t covered
Yeah. I went through the ABS ring BS a couple of years ago. I think they wanted over £1K to sort that.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 04:21 AM   #6
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

Exactly why I quit mine. The dealers were reluctant to push claims through, would quote for pairs of shocks or springs to be replaced if I was paying yet when it came to warranty magically the KDS requirement and need to replace in pairs disappeared. I fought my corner and won, in the end, but frankly it isn't worth the hassle. All the dealer costs are inflated anyway.

And the point about needing a good "relationship" with the service department is probably true but completely misses the point that an insurance policy lives and dies by the contract wording. If something is included or not explicitly excluded it should be covered.

I believe some (all?) dealers are making fraudulent claims against the policy. Single use nuts and bolts for example or TIS requirement to replace in pairs yet they only replace one side - I bet they claim for both and all the consumables under the sun.
Appreciate 0