E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Replacing DSC Hydro Unit E90, E92

10-19-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
3Coupe4Me
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe

DIY: Replacing DSC Hydro Unit E90, E92

Sometime ago I got the dreaded ABS, Brake and DSC trifecta error while coming home from work but it went off after I restarted the car.

This intermittent fault continued on and off for some time afterwards until about a month ago it finally stayed permanently on. I decided to take the car to an indy mechanic and have the codes read. The fault cade came back as a "5DF0" code which is a faulty DSC Hydrolic Pump. The estimated cost of repair was $530 for the pump + 4 hours labor to fix it.

Having worked on all the cars I've ever owned I decided to tackle the pump replacement myself. I ordered the part from Tischer for about $100 less than the dealer and with a free weekend coming up I decided to do the job myself. The part that I was most worried about was bleeding the ABS pump which requires special software at the dealer to cycle the pump as part of the bleeding process. However I did some research and saw where you can cycle the pump using the old school method of stomping on the bakes on a slippery surface while driving at a slow speed. Well, I had such a surface on my nearly 100ft long gravel driveway which would affect nobody but myself if I somehow screwed up on bleeding the brakes correctly.

When the part arrived I was actually pleasantly surprised that it had installation instructions included from the manufacturer. Even though it should have been just a simple swap of the parts the instructions showed how to relieve the pressure from the brake lines and how to prevent the lines from loosing but a little fluid. Another surprise was that during the installation of the new pump I discovered that it was already bench bled from the factory and already had fluid in it.

In total it took only about 10 minutes to do the swap. The hardest part was bleeding the four wheels until the brakes were firm then activating the ABS using the method described above and then bleeding all four wheels again until the entire brake system was flushed with new fluid.

Here are some pics and a description of the steps

ABS PUMP LOCATED HERE

CLOSE-UP VIEW OF PUMP WITH THE INTAKE AN OUT BRAKE LINES REMOVED

PUMP REMOVED AND LINE CAPPED TO PREVENT FLUID LOSS

THE CAPS I USED

PUMP ASSEMBLY WITH CONTROL UNIT ATTACHED

OLD AND NEW UNIT SIDE BY SIDE

PREPARATION FOR PUMP SWAP.

I swapped just the pump and kept the control unit because it is already programmed for the car. If I had put in the new one i would have had to take it to the dealer for programming.

After all that work it was good to see this

I also tested the DSC, Start off Assist and Cruise Control and everything is now fully functional.

Here are the directions from the manufacturer.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      10-19-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
JAZA
Banned
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 2008 Ruby Black M3

Awesome write up, thanks for the DYI
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Did you bleed the DSC unit after swapping out? Air can get trapped on the walls of the DSC unit and can cause a soft brake pedal.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #4
3Coupe4Me
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Did you bleed the DSC unit after swapping out? Air can get trapped on the walls of the DSC unit and can cause a soft brake pedal.
Yep, I bled it twice. Once just after installation and once after activation of the pump.

-------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #5
TwinTuning
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 335I

Great DIY.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 06:38 AM   #6
badsha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 318d 2006

witch part is the pump?? the silver or the black one?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 08:41 AM   #7
3Coupe4Me
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsha View Post
witch part is the pump?? the silver or the black one?
The Silver (aluminum) part is the pump assembly and the all black (plastic) part is the control module.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 11:00 PM   #8
ashleymarie0792
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

question i repalced my dsc module and i still have the same codes.. i did not use the module or abs pump that was broken i replaced everything do i have to go to bmw to get it coded ?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 11:11 PM   #9
3Coupe4Me
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleymarie0792 View Post
question i repalced my dsc module and i still have the same codes.. i did not use the module or abs pump that was broken i replaced everything do i have to go to bmw to get it coded ?
Yes, the new module has to be programmed. That's the reason I swapped mine with the old module so I did not have to get it reprogrammed.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 11:25 PM   #10
ashleymarie0792
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

how much would that cost i already installed everything... just need it coded lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 11:31 PM   #11
3Coupe4Me
Private First Class
Rep

I did not research this however I remember someone saying it should cost about 1 hours worth of labor at the dealer. Give them a call in the morning and see what they say.

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #12
90rr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

I got a same codes and they went away (twice) ... last time 10 days ago and never came back .
Now when I'm at a complete stop and car is on idle , feels like when you release a brake pedal just a little ,(car trying to push forward ) and then you slam on the brake ..everything in fraction of the second . kick are completely random , but only when i have my foot on the brake . sometimes i feel 3-4 quick jolts . Just wondering if you or anyone who replaced pump had a same problems before .
Thanks in advance !
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #13
3Coupe4Me
Private First Class
Rep

Here is the direct link for the part. http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/p...506777164.html

I have the electrical unit alone for sale if you need.

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 05:13 AM   #14
signatureaudio
Registered
Rep
Drives: mk 2 golf gti

DSC problems

Hey guys, I recently installed an audio system upgrade to BMW E90 and after taking the car for a short drive the DSC warning lights came on, there is also an icon at the very bottom of the LCD display, its a triangle with an exclamation mark in it with three zeros next to it.

Is the DSC related to the audio system in any way?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #15
david-m
Rep
Drives: e91 330d

Nice writeup
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #16
Hooy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 328i, E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Does anyone know if this is different for 2008's? I only see this part for 2007's.
      09-16-2013, 02:22 AM   #17
NYC2DEL
Registered
Rep
Drives: 325i

Hi all,

Hoping you can help. I started getting the ABS/DSC/ Flat Tire warnings and lights in January. I took it to the dealer and they said it was the DSC Hydro Pump which had failed. I purchased the same part from ebay (used but in great condition) and the seller gave me 90 return and had said the part was tested and in working condition.

I had the part installed by the dealers, they did the whole 9 yards of bleeding the breaks etc. and gave the car back. For a week the lights were out but came back on again. Now they are intermittent and come and go.

Any ideas on how to get rid of them?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 09:00 AM   #18
3Coupe4Me
Private First Class
Rep

I would get another scan and see what the codes are. Did you change both the pump and electronic module?

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #19
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

Got the same 3 lights and same codes. I ordered a new unit from BMW of Minn. Best price I have found to include Tischer. The write up and pictures are excellent. A couple of things to note. The ABS unit has 3 10 mm bolts that hold the unit in place. 2 are very visible and one is under the electrical harness which you need to remove to gain access. Don't drop them as they are hard to retrive. I used a magnet to remove and install them so I could not drop them. I also used the vacuum caps and found out that the lines are two different diameters so I lost a couple caps that feel into the area under the ABS area. The lines are all 11 mm so I used an 11 mm flare wrench to tighten and break the lines free but to get them loose and tightened some a regular open ended wrench worked just fine.
It is funny how the replacement unit plugs for the new unit were all over the place 10 mm, 11 mm and 12 mm but the existing lines mounted up just fine. When bleeding the brakes the rears use a 9 mm boxed end wrench and the fronts use a 12 mm.
Other than that the unit came out with little issue (once I removed the 3rd 10 mm nut) and reinstalling had to wiggle it in there and lined up.
Hope this helps someone else. After installing it I still had the lights until I cleared them with my CarSoft software...
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2014, 10:01 AM   #20
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

As an update to anyone reading this I have discovered that the main problem with our units is the Bosch electric motor brushes fouling the brush holder causing the brushes to not be positioned correctly and causing a slower rpm which throws the code. It is still possible your electronic module is toast but this problem is the most likely case. I read a youtube DIY and did my own it for no cost but Modulemasters.com will repair the brushes and holder and never jam again. At the time of this writing they were quoting 100-150 bucks. Be sure to talk to a technician not the office staff as the office staff told me they don't do that work but the technician I talked to told me what they do to repair it.
Essentially this youtube video shows how the repair is done. Modulemasters actually does this in a much more professional manner with brushes and holders that will not get jammed with graphite material.
I am not associated with modulemasters in anyway but they can save you huge sums of money if you or your indy pull the unit which you can see is not that hard.
Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 10:20 AM   #21
3Coupe4Me
Private First Class
Rep

Great update

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
As an update to anyone reading this I have discovered that the main problem with our units is the Bosch electric motor brushes fouling the brush holder causing the brushes to not be positioned correctly and causing a slower rpm which throws the code. It is still possible your electronic module is toast but this problem is the most likely case. I read a youtube DIY and did my own it for no cost but Modulemasters.com will repair the brushes and holder and never jam again. At the time of this writing they were quoting 100-150 bucks. Be sure to talk to a technician not the office staff as the office staff told me they don't do that work but the technician I talked to told me what they do to repair it.
Essentially this youtube video shows how the repair is done. Modulemasters actually does this in a much more professional manner with brushes and holders that will not get jammed with graphite material.
I am not associated with modulemasters in anyway but they can save you huge sums of money if you or your indy pull the unit which you can see is not that hard.
Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 02:36 AM   #22
betaruce
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

thanks for your sharing fun2drive

want to clarify. Do you mean this is the likely reason why pre-LCI E9x DSC module/pump fail easily? and I heard this problem does not appear in newer E9x because BMW correct this problem?

so you DIY repair your own module with reference to a youtube video? do you mind share it here?

thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
Hope this helps
Appreciate 0