E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > RSA Delete?

03-26-2018, 06:44 AM   #1
Rickyshucks
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 325i Sedan

RSA Delete?

What exactly is the RSA delete file? Not sure if I should be using it to flash my dme for the 330i tune..

Last edited by Rickyshucks; 03-26-2018 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: Error close thread
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 07:44 AM   #2
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyshucks View Post
What exactly is the RSA delete file? Not sure if I should be using it to flash my dme for the 330i tune..
If you are talking about the files on Bimmerlabs, yes you need to flash the RSA delete BEFORE trying to flash any of the calibration files *.0DAs.

The RSA delete is needed to keep the programs from checking the RSA signature in the custom 0DA files. Except for BMW, no one has the ability to "sign" the 1024 RSA checks used.

I thought all of that was fairly automated with batch files and scripts.

FYI, using RSA delete will allow you to write your own custom tunes. Just need the skills to make changes to the BIN, correct the checksums and convert that back into a Valid 0DA file.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 08:02 AM   #3
Rickyshucks
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
If you are talking about the files on Bimmerlabs, yes you need to flash the RSA delete BEFORE trying to flash any of the calibration files *.0DAs.

The RSA delete is needed to keep the programs from checking the RSA signature in the custom 0DA files. Except for BMW, no one has the ability to "sign" the 1024 RSA checks used.

I thought all of that was fairly automated with batch files and scripts.

FYI, using RSA delete will allow you to write your own custom tunes. Just need the skills to make changes to the BIN, correct the checksums and convert that back into a Valid 0DA file.
Thanks a lot man!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 08:44 AM   #4
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

yeah, you have to do this. It's often called the "initial flash" or "unlock". I just like to say exactly what it is.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2018, 12:06 PM   #5
AWSB328iM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i M-Sport 6MT

When the stock 330i tune is flashed can the car still be taken to the dealer? Will they be able to discover the different software? Or would you have to unflash like the shark injector software back in the day?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 12:42 PM   #6
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

It should be fine. I suppose a really savvy tech could tell, but they would literally have to be inspecting the binary data for checksums etc. Also, most E90s are way out of warranty by now anyway.

Just make sure they don't update your DME, because of course that will overwrite the file. You can just flash it again of course, but that's a pain.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 02:34 PM   #7
Rickyshucks
Private
Rep

Flashing error

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
It should be fine. I suppose a really savvy tech could tell, but they would literally have to be inspecting the binary data for checksums etc. Also, most E90s are way out of warranty by now anyway.

Just make sure they don't update your DME, because of course that will overwrite the file. You can just flash it again of course, but that's a pain.
So I started the process of trying to flash and everytime I load the RSA delete .bat, winkfp does open up but seems to shut down after and leaves me with the follow errors.

Any ideas why that is occurring?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 03:43 PM   #8
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:

Except for reading the binary, the only other way I can think that a tech might discover the tune is to use a Smog check tool that outputs the CVN number. That number is recorded in the 0da file and happens to be the active Checksum.

Might be something a dealer could use on a newer N54 or N55 that 's still under warranty. Don't see them looking on an older N52.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 03:50 PM   #9
erfont
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSB328iM View Post
When the stock 330i tune is flashed can the car still be taken to the dealer? Will they be able to discover the different software? Or would you have to unflash like the shark injector software back in the day?
I flashed my 325 to the 330 on sat and then checked faults with ISTA. There's a DME coding fault stored that wont clear. No check engine light and everything works fine so I'm not worried about it. But dealers would be able to see that coding fault.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 03:57 PM   #10
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

That can be cleared. There's actually a howto in the coding forum here. I should find that and link it.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2018, 03:57 PM   #11
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by erfont View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSB328iM View Post
I flashed my 325 to the 330 on sat and then checked faults with ISTA. There's a DME coding fault stored that wont clear. No check engine light and everything works fine so I'm not worried about it. But dealers would be able to see that coding fault.
What was the fault? Was a coding error?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 04:47 PM   #12
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

it's 2FA3 IIRC. "missing coding" - basically a nonsense BMW error, it literally does nothing (other than show up in INPA).

The fix is to use NCSexpert to write a blank .man file to the DME. You can't configure the DME after 10 hours anyway, but for whatever reason flashing it can cause this error.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 05:21 PM   #13
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I started the process of trying to flash and everytime I load the RSA delete .bat, winkfp does open up but seems to shut down after and leaves me with the follow errors.

Looks like the ignition is off or the COM settings are wrong. I can reproduce that by running the batch script on a computer that doesn't have an OBD cable plugged in.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 05:35 PM   #14
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Looks like the ignition is off or the COM settings are wrong. I can reproduce that by running the batch script on a computer that doesn't have an OBD cable plugged in.
That's what I thought. That error means nothing really.

For the record, I don't think the coding error comes up if you are flashing the same program and 0dA file as your original. It's only when you change does the DME throw the coding error.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 08:18 PM   #15
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:

I've done a little more checking on CVN numbers and it's actually a documented feature of the ODB protocols.

ODB mode $09 is used for vehicle information and the CVN number is part of this group. The CVN number usually being a checksum of the installed software but the implementation is up to the manufacturer.

This is the tool manufacturers use to check integrity of the installed software. I expect some smog stations could have access to this data but I don't think it's checked.

I found the CVN to checksum relationship by accident a while back and never followed up with the research until today.

I know there are defeats with the MSV70 but I can't think of any reason why you would need to go to those extremes. As Hassmachine mentioned the warranties on these cars has expired a long time ago.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 12:08 AM   #16
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

yeah, I think it would be simple to fake it. I mean, the simplest way would be to just move the location of the checksum, and leave the original in place - the CVN check would then reference the "fake" one and never know the difference. It's never come up though, I doubt I'll ever need to do that.

actually, I was at the dealer in our old E91 last year for an ELV malfunction (they replaced the column, I was stranded). The tech was pretty cool and I chatted with him a bit about the custom code mods, and asked him not to flash the computer because at the time, my RSA delete would brick if you flashed it with stock software. He didn't even bat an eye, and had my column replaced in a couple hours (considering the car was so bricked you couldn't even boot it up, steer, or push it, I was impressed).
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 12:59 AM   #17
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Quote:
That can be cleared. There's actually a howto in the coding forum here. I should find that and link it.
This? http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=37
Appreciate 2
6ixSpd5996.50
      03-27-2018, 07:51 AM   #18
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
Yep!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 09:59 PM   #19
Kdubs88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 328i

So i did the rsa delete on my 328i, then did the flash for 328 to 330 on bimmerlabs. I threw those error codes, and my car was in limp mode. I ended up reseting the dme to facory settings in ncsexpert to fix it, but now my car feels slower than when i started this. I have the 3 stage intake installed, a cai, and a bms powerbox. Is there any way I can get this 330 flash to work on my car? I'm dying for the little extra power, and don't have the money for the AA tune at the moment. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 11:33 PM   #20
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdubs88 View Post
So i did the rsa delete on my 328i, then did the flash for 328 to 330 on bimmerlabs. I threw those error codes, and my car was in limp mode. I ended up reseting the dme to facory settings in ncsexpert to fix it, but now my car feels slower than when i started this. I have the 3 stage intake installed, a cai, and a bms powerbox. Is there any way I can get this 330 flash to work on my car? I'm dying for the little extra power, and don't have the money for the AA tune at the moment. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!
Did you buy a used 3IM? If so, did you test the DISA valves with INPA?

And ditch the Power Box
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 11:35 PM   #21
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

2FA3 doesn't cause limp mode - it literally does nothing.

2FA4 can, but that wasn't what was originally discussed in this thread. I'm not sure why you would get that error off the top of my head, but it can be resolved - best to take that to email though.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 01:09 AM   #22
Kdubs88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
Did you buy a used 3IM? If so, did you test the DISA valves with INPA?

And ditch the Power Box
Why do you say to get rid of the power box? Can I just put it on map 0 and leave it in for the time being, or should I completely remove it?
Appreciate 0