E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > M57 E92 330d Power loss under load + engine vibration/shruddering

07-02-2022, 07:05 AM   #1
sergejslevis
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

M57 E92 330d Power loss under load + engine vibration/shruddering

Hello colleagues.

It's came time for my first problem post with intro.

I own small workshop for trucks and like to repair myself own cars when I have time.

As I always wanted to have one I have bought 2008 E92 330d xDrive with M57D30 and auto box on auction with EGR problem for driving and maybe tuning project later.

It came with some problems and among them was vibration/shruddering during hard acceleration or under load (from almost any speed on almost any gear) following power loss and limp mode (no reaction on gas pedal until coasting for some time or stopping).

I can drive the car in easy manner without hard acceleration with no issues (problem shows up after 100-120kmh which I suppose is load related).

What have I done so far:
  • Original DPF/cat had with vandalism had a punched hole though so I installed a new downpipe with 200cpsi catalyst (all sensors reinstalled in downpipe).
  • Checked if ECU EDC16CD35 had a tune but looks like it was original.
  • Removed DPF + EGR from ECU using MTX DPF Remover as a quick solution.
  • Disconnected and blanked vacuum line from EGR valve to keep it closed.
  • Installed used turbo with electric actuator as mine had oil leaks
  • Removed swirl flaps as mine had oil leaks.
  • Checked if the vibration problem is not drive train related:
  • removed front drive shaft – test drive with same problem
  • when doing a torque converter stall test standing – the same engine shudder occurred
  • replaced torque converted, changed gearbox oil and visually inspected mechatronic. did gearbox adaptation according to ZF manual

So for the moment car is looks like in good shape – engine and gearbox working smoothly, no visual leaks, no errors.

But the main problem is still there and only error that I have now is
4530: Charge pressure control, control deviation

I did a Testo logging and noticed only that MAF readings are much lower than target value.

So using slow acceleration – I do not see issues. All reading are following targets (except air mass which is too low but following).

But continuing accelerating harder at one moment according to graph - boost pressure start slowly falling despite boost pressure + air mass + rail pressure targets are at maximum (full throttle) and also revs are increasing for about 2 seconds but then looks like ECU is limiting rail pressure target (while pedal is still at full throttle) and all readings following rail pressure target and revs are holding at some level (sometimes it starts to slow down at this point and no reaction to gas pedal).
Then releasing gas pedal and coasting for about 10 sec and try to speed up – targets, actuals and revs increasing for 2 sec but then rail pressure is limiting again.

I had also did a test drive with disconnected MAP and MAF sensors - nothing changed.

Looks like it is boost related but with old turbo behavior was the same also turbo has electric actuator so it is not vacuum problem also.

Both turbos have faulty actuators? Maybe. But how to check electric actuator as Rheingold does not offer a test?

When changing turbo I have replaces seals in both air hoses and I do not hear any turbo pressure leaks nor see it on graphs.

Could it be low MAF actual value related?

Would be a great if someone please take a look at this and point me to right direction.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 10:03 AM   #2
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

4530 is a classic vacuum line/solenoid issue.
      07-09-2022, 10:20 AM   #3
sergejslevis
Registered
Rep

lnxguy,

Thanks much for feedback.

If I'm not mistaken my engine has only 2 solenoids - one for EGR valve (which is disconnected and blanked) and one for engine mounts.
The turbo is electric controlled.

I assume that vacuum system now is not involved in boost control or mixture formation. Or am I missing something?

Could you please point me to the right direction?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 01:45 PM   #4
Captain Buumer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325D

This thread has good info:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1066141
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 04:43 AM   #5
sergejslevis
Registered
Rep

Issue solved.
The problem was that piezo injectors return fuel line line was missing a valve.
It's weird that no one had any problems with that so far as on Audi it is quite common problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 09:13 AM   #6
fangk
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergejslevis View Post
Issue solved.
The problem was that piezo injectors return fuel line line was missing a valve.
It's weird that no one had any problems with that so far as on Audi it is quite common problem.
Hey mate. What do you mean it missed a valve? Does that mean your car had a faulty injector and you had to replace it? Mine is e60 530d and I feel similar symptom as you described, i.e., lack of power and lots of vibration when accelerating just a bit aggressively, but no engine light (MIL). Thanks.
Appreciate 0