E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > [DIY] E92/E93 US Spec LCI Tailight Conversion to EU Blinker (Red -> Orange)

11-27-2023, 03:44 PM   #1
kolopn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 325i N52B25

[DIY] E92/E93 US Spec LCI Tailight Conversion to EU Blinker (Red -> Orange)

Hi!

I want to share my weekend project, that I was working on. I bought cheap set of US spec LCI taillight, and wanted to convert them to Europe spec blinker which is orange rather than red. I didn't find any tutorial on the internet how to do that, so wanted to share my experience with this topic. This mod is very cheap like 5-10$ in total. There is no need to cut outer lens, so this will decrease possibility of any water leakage.

Time: It took me around 2.5h to do one light.

Tools needed:
- Set of Torx bits,
- Soldering iron - best with two exchangeable endings - one for soldering, other one for cutting the plastic (for cutting part you can also use Dremel tool, but I didn't have that)
- 30 in total (15 per light) 5mm in diameter LED's with yellow/orange color (Specs of those that I bought: Operating voltage 2.1V, 590nm of wave range, 20mA, 18000mcd brightness)
- Hot Glue tool,

1. Cutting the light - You have to cut at the rear, and from the top (with a little bit of side) as shown on pictures. Be careful! There is socket at the middle of the rear cutting part.

2. Taking out three PCB boards - Disconnect the socket which is power supply for the blinker, and carefully remove the PCB one after another, there can be possibility to break one of those little supports (that's why there can be possibility to use hot glue afterwards)

3. LED's are soldered from the bottom, and they are in little housings, take them out, and put new LED's in those housings - 5mm LED's fit fine inside.

4. Put everything inside light housing, and put also the covers that were previously cut and melt the plastic around to make 100% seal.

Aaand that's it! You have EU spec taillight with no need to buy new set of lights!

Cheers!
Appreciate 1