E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > [serious topic] Who will support me in legislation change?

07-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

[serious topic] Who will support me in legislation change?

Okay so i was reading thru the following thread about a front plate ticket: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=866960

Someone said, why don't you make an effort to change the laws. I'm curious... How many of you on this forum and pretty much every automotive forum that is popular in the USA would support me in a cause to make change happen.

Basically if we can put together a template document and track down who to send it to in every state... I think we can make a change. This would require actual voters tommake a small effort and to also vote out any incumbant who does not make the change by the time his election period runs out.

For non-voters... Just bring awareness to the cause could help as well as letting your friends/family who are voters know about this cause too.

I personally think we can make change (either law change or political official change, in any case we will have change )

So who is with me on this grass roots effort???
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
Titanium3er
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '03 Kawa Z1000

Garage List
I definitely support your initiative man, but I live in a state with no front plate requirement and have never heard of someone getting ticketed for a euro plate. I hope you get some help with this though as I feel like taking action is the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #3
Patel511
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

I support you lol
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Okay, i would need someone to volunteer to be the lead person for each state and help focus those residents towards this goal. Having a local person who has voting rights in that state and can go to local courts or track down local gov't officials to bring awareness is a good place to start.

We can also post up a question at the federal level because states get funding from the federal gov't so if we make that win... It can trickle down.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 10:35 PM   #5
williamf
Audi Convert
United_States
Rep
Drives: Past: 335i Now: TTRS stage 2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
Okay, i would need someone to volunteer to be the lead person for each state and help focus those residents towards this goal. Having a local person who has voting rights in that state and can go to local courts or track down local gov't officials to bring awareness is a good place to start.

We can also post up a question at the federal level because states get funding from the federal gov't so if we make that win... It can trickle down.
I respect your desire to make a change and our society is setup to allow any citizen to lobby for what he/she believes in. Here are my thoughts.

1. This is not a federal issue. Never has been. Never will be. Your barking up the wrong tree here. Constitutionally this is a state issue.

2. Unless you can come up with a really good and valid reason why the state laws should be changed, don't bother. The reason would have to be something like, "every year 100 people needlessly die in state X, due to front mounted license plates."

3. Alternatively and honestly this is your best bet, you need to get a politician to sneak this in a bill somewhere. BUT to do that you would have to grease their pockets and do other illegal things (which I think is a bad idea). The cities and counties make money off this setup and in a big state like mine (Texas) I am sure changing this law would cost the local governments millions of dollars.

4. Here is my practical advice. Save your time and frustration and just set a small amount of money aside for tickets for no front license plate and chalk it up to the cost of doing what you want.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
CWysong
tuned n dropped 335xi
Rep
Drives: '09 335i Xdrive e90

me! F Tha police and f ohio's front plate law. Get the tint requirement of 50% or lighter changed here as well while your at it.

Also, it is correct that its a state issue. You dont necessarily need to prove people die from this though lol. Its an issue if identification, the police want to be able to check your plates coming and going.

Its just the Man, trying any way they can to track you and watch you. How about side plates too? What if you drive by them and all they see is your side? they cant id you!!!! OMG! Maybe a roof plate too? in case they are on a bridge or in a helli. where does it end???? I bet you can use that arguement semi effectively.
      07-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #7
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamf View Post
I respect your desire to make a change and our society is setup to allow any citizen to lobby for what he/she believes in. Here are my thoughts.

1. This is not a federal issue. Never has been. Never will be. Your barking up the wrong tree here. Constitutionally this is a state issue.

2. Unless you can come up with a really good and valid reason why the state laws should be changed, don't bother. The reason would have to be something like, "every year 100 people needlessly die in state X, due to front mounted license plates."

3. Alternatively and honestly this is your best bet, you need to get a politician to sneak this in a bill somewhere. BUT to do that you would have to grease their pockets and do other illegal things (which I think is a bad idea). The cities and counties make money off this setup and in a big state like mine (Texas) I am sure changing this law would cost the local governments millions of dollars.

4. Here is my practical advice. Save your time and frustration and just set a small amount of money aside for tickets for no front license plate and chalk it up to the cost of doing what you want.
I actually rock my front plates on all my cars... But my intention is to bring awareness to an issue. One being cost, i don't feel like we should pay a fee for a front plate when i buy a new car. I also feel, that front plates cause un necessary bumper damage when careless people parallel park. I personally don't like my license plate screws rusting sealed on my front bumper as well. I feel that police are profiling drivers who don't have a front plate and its only currently a fix a ticket... Not a serious offense because of how trivial it is.

No need to grease pockets. Just get enough social awareness on a topic and laws will change, we just need a starting point. Your right, it is a state ruling... But if we can put federal officials jobs on the line on an issue than guess what... ish only rolls downhill

I am not expecting change over night nor over a couple years... But it can happen. Effort over money can prevail!!!

Other items of concern to me are the following
1) red light cameras/speed cameras
2) automated license plate readers
3) radar/laser guns used in speed enforcement. Police officers should have to earn their money and pace you.
4) window tint laws

I'm tired of living in a formerly "free country". Now we are the United prisons of America. Every behavioral metric about us is being bought/sold and most don't even know it

Last edited by fazman; 07-19-2013 at 10:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #8
williamf
Audi Convert
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I actually rock my front plates on all my cars... But my intention is to bring awareness to an issue. One being cost, i don't feel like we should pay a fee for a front plate when i buy a new car. I also feel, that front plates cause un necessary bumper damage when careless people parallel park. I personally don't like my license plate screws rusting sealed on my front bumper as well. I feel that police are profiling drivers who don't have a front plate and its only currently a fix a ticket... Not a serious offense because of how trivial it is.

No need to grease pockets. Just get enough social awareness on a topic and laws will change, we just need a starting point. Your right, it is a state ruling... But if we can put federal officials jobs on the line on an issue than guess what... ish only rolls downhill

I am not expecting change over night nor over a couple years... But it can happen. Effort over money can prevail!!!

Other items of concern to me are the following
1) red light cameras/speed cameras
2) automated license plate readers
3) radar/laser guns used in speed enforcement. Police officers should have to earn their money and pace you.

I'm tired of living in a formerly "free country". Now we are the United prisons of America. Every behavioral metric about us is being bought/sold and most don't even know it

Okay. If you get it on a ballot as a single item I will definitely vote for your measure. I have driven in Texas with no front license plate for 20 years (it is required here). Got one ticket. Been stopped a few times, but all the others I was let go with a warning. The same guy gave me multiple warnings over several months and we finally had a heart to heart. He stopped pulling me over and I did not put on the front license plate.

As for the other issue you bring up, you may be on to something. If you want to package some hot button issues together and throw in the somewhat related "front license plate thing" then that might work. Just dealing with the front license plate is not going to get enough people excited to care enough about making a change. Listen, I am your target audience. I agree 100% that the front license plate laws are total BS, but I am not going to get off my ass to help you fight this. However, I might get off my ass to help you fight for a much bigger issue, which has to do with privacy and technology. This is a legitimate play and there are people who are already lobbying in this area. You just need to get connected with them. Then you may have something!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 11:04 PM   #9
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Okay. If you get it on a ballot as a single item I will definitely vote for your measure. I have driven in Texas with no front license plate for 20 years (it is required here). Got one ticket. Been stopped a few times, but all the others I was let go with a warning. The same guy gave me multiple warnings over several months and we finally had a heart to heart. He stopped pulling me over and I did not put on the front license plate.

As for the other issue you bring up, you may be on to something. If you want to package some hot button issues together and throw in the somewhat related "front license plate thing" then that might work. Just dealing with the front license plate is not going to get enough people excited to care enough about making a change. Listen, I am your target audience. I agree 100% that the front license plate laws are total BS, but I am not going to get off my ass to help you fight this. However, I might get off my ass to help you fight for a much bigger issue, which has to do with privacy and technology. This is a legitimate play and there are people who are already lobbying in this area. You just need to get connected with them. Then you may have something!
Lobbyist get paid by companies to shovel the companies best interest. I'm just a regular voter who is trying to build a grass roots effort which requires other voters who care to pitch in. I'm sure in the millions of folks in the USA... I'm sure i can find one per state who might take on the leadership role to help the local efforts.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 11:16 PM   #10
williamf
Audi Convert
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lobbyist get paid by companies to shovel the companies best interest. I'm just a regular voter who is trying to build a grass roots effort which requires other voters who care to pitch in. I'm sure in the millions of folks in the USA... I'm sure i can find one per state who might take on the leadership role to help the local efforts.
Lets say you get one guy in each state, then what? Seriously, what is he going to do? Is he going to give up 50% of his free time to find speaking engagements and organize rallies? Is he going to be able to take all the ridicule from people who tell him to find something worth while to fight for. No he is not. Even if he jumps on this band wagon in the beginning, there is not enough substance to help push through all the crap. I am not trying to be a jerk. I can tell you from experience that I have been on similar crusades that had a lot more substance and I was shocked at the apathy people have.

This is why I said that you might be successful if you package your issue into something that more people can get excited about. Privacy and technology is a very big deal and it is getting bigger and bigger. It will not be too long until it as big an issue as Gay rights and race relations. IMO this is your only serious play.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 12:11 AM   #11
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Quote:
In case you didn't know... we're becoming somewhat progressive on this issue
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 12:12 AM   #12
kdbryce
I have to return some video tapes
United_States
Rep
Drives: e70 X5M

I've only gotten a couple front plate tickets in my whole life and they're only like $80 each

I don't think it's a huge deal
      07-20-2013, 12:18 AM   #13
williamf
Audi Convert
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3RI35 View Post
In case you didn't know... we're becoming somewhat progressive on this issue
Seriously?! Really! Is someone seriously working on this in Texas or did you just make that up to be funny. In either event it is funny.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 12:53 AM   #14
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Quote:
Seriously?! Really! Is someone seriously working on this in Texas or did you just make that up to be funny. In either event it is funny.
September 1st! It's legitimate.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 01:03 AM   #15
Bmr3sn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT Sport

I applaud your efforts. Cant help on the issue (no front plates here in AZ) but I think its going to take more work than its worth. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 01:04 AM   #16
williamf
Audi Convert
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3RI35 View Post
September 1st! It's legitimate.
Well holy s***. First World Problem Indeed! Hey if y'all are passionate about it, then that is great. My life will be about .00000000000001% better if this passes, which is better than 0% better. Please see this as me just poking fun at you. We all do things that other people find odd. I think my wife is the only person in my "real life" who knows I alternate my hobby time between watching TV, posting on this forum and the Audi forum and playing with my car.

Very few people in my life would understand that I find it fun to read and respond to absolute strangers comments online. I am not laughing at you. I am laughing at all of us!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 01:18 AM   #17
hailpersia
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022

you gotta be kidding me...
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 01:27 AM   #18
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Quote:
Well holy s***. First World Problem Indeed! Hey if y'all are passionate about it, then that is great. My life will be about .00000000000001% better if this passes, which is better than 0% better. Please see this as me just poking fun at you. We all do things that other people find odd. I think my wife is the only person in my "real life" who knows I alternate my hobby time between watching TV, posting on this forum and the Audi forum and playing with my car.

Very few people in my life would understand that I find it fun to read and respond to absolute strangers comments online. I am not laughing at you. I am laughing at all of us!
yeah, the plague of no tonal expression in written communication... wasn't taking your comments negatively in any way, just thought I'd spread the word since a lot of ppl don't seem to know
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 02:19 AM   #19
Snaggletooth
General Nuisance
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Count me in, I believe nullifying unjust laws makes up a big part of our civic duty. to The right answer isn't to sit there and take it, it's to say F that and fix it.
      07-20-2013, 02:27 AM   #20
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

I wouldn't oppose the idea, but neither would I do more than sign a petition or something like that to see it brought to fruition. I think there are greater ills to be overcome than abolishing an innocuous law to which compliance is little more difficult than falling off a log.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #21
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

I've been extremely lucky- No front plate since I've gotten my car nearly 2 years ago and no issues. I've been through checkpoints etc. etc. ironically.

My situation was simple- the dealership never drilled the holes for my plate bracket and instead put everything in the trunk of my car upon purchase due to time constraints. I never put it on as a result because I love the way it looked- and just went with it from there

Prior to this I've had a front plate on every single one of my seven cars. Now that I don't, it looks so beautiful, and I don't think I ever will.

I'll pay the money.

I struggled in my mind whether or not to post this due to fear of jinxing myself, but I decided between myself and the powers that be that it was worthwhile- for the principle. Besides- I live in an area of NJ where cops are far more concerned with more serious things than front plates (I think.)

Either that, or they run my back plate and see that I'm a 38-year-old fart driving a convertible and feel pity. In any case, I consider myself fortunate- and very happy- so far...
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #22
williamf
Audi Convert
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
I've been extremely lucky- No front plate since I've gotten my car nearly 2 years ago and no issues. I've been through checkpoints etc. etc. ironically.

My situation was simple- the dealership never drilled the holes for my plate bracket and instead put everything in the trunk of my car upon purchase due to time constraints. I never put it on as a result because I love the way it looked- and just went with it from there

Prior to this I've had a front plate on every single one of my seven cars. Now that I don't, it looks so beautiful, and I don't think I ever will.

I'll pay the money.

I struggled in my mind whether or not to post this due to fear of jinxing myself, but I decided between myself and the powers that be that it was worthwhile- for the principle. Besides- I live in an area of NJ where cops are far more concerned with more serious things than front plates (I think.)

Either that, or they run my back plate and see that I'm a 38-year-old fart driving a convertible and feel pity. In any case, I consider myself fortunate- and very happy- so far...
OMG! I have hit a milestone. You are the first person of my generation who openly referred to himself as an "old fart." Wow this is a surreal moment. I am 38 too. I thought I had 2 more years before any of those labels could possibly apply. In my mind the definition of an old fart keeps moving further and further up the age scale as I get older. Currently I don't think of anyone under 65 as an old fart. Thanks for shattering my world!
Appreciate 0