E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > If I can fix it, I can keep it for $0

08-29-2023, 01:21 AM   #1
En3myTank!
Registered
Rep
Drives: '13 550i X-Drive, '06 325xi

If I can fix it, I can keep it for $0

Hi all, tonight I picked up an 2006 325xi ~ I know hardly anything about the car except the woman that bought it new let it sit for over 7 years in her climate controlled garage after she had the 'issue'. Car has 30k on it. Interior is excellent. I have 3 days to get this thing running or I'm gonna scrap it. Have too many other projects going atm. Welder/Fad man by trade. I am a non ASE certified mechanic that's been turning wrenches for the better part of 4 decades now so none of this is exactly difficult. Just knowing where to start is difficult for me sometimes. This is one of those times as I haven't had enough time to ponder the issue and find the correct path to repair taking my own time.
I have a Foxwell scanner that I bought for my '13 550i and it works very well. When the scanner cycled the power, there was a faint noise behind the cluster as well, right after the fuel pump primed...blend door self test maybe? Installed a new battery and there was a connector I couldn't find a home for also. I thank anyone who can assist. Pics of codes and the homeless connector attached.
Attached Images

Last edited by En3myTank!; 08-29-2023 at 02:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 04:55 AM   #2
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Any open recalls on the car?
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2023, 08:45 AM   #3
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

Soooo... what's it doing?

None of those codes should be preventing it from running.

Lets rescue that gem.

or....

If it's got a manual gearbox, I'll bring a trailer and take it off your hands

--------- edit

oK... OP's location is AK, which means Alaska, I rescind my offer to take the car off your hands. No way I can get there. It'll have to be rescued in place.

Last edited by Brian86; 08-29-2023 at 08:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 09:48 PM   #4
En3myTank!
Registered
Rep

It now runs pretty good for having VERY old gas in it. It always helps to know how to start the car. Never started one where the fob needed to be inserted :/
I'm gonna get it on the lift and give it a once over. The steering feels like she maybe hit something (happens a LOT here in Alaska during winter) like a curb and it's out of alignment. Further inspection required.
What are some things I should keep my eyes peeled for on these as far as preventive maintenance? It will be getting new wheels and shoes with studs. I buy an extra set of wheels for every vehicle I own so I don't have to take them in to do a winter tire swap.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 07:03 AM   #5
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

Maintenance... Garage kept at 30k miles...

Basically Nothing. Maybe dry/cracking rubber, but the car wasn't stored in death valley so I doubt that will be a problem.

I'd put fresh motor oil in and run a tank of fuel through it on the highway and mountains. A good long hot drive cycle dry all the other fluids and see how it runs.

Most of the maintenance problems on e9x are various plastics and rubber parts that fail from heat cycling. In a garage at 30k... there aren't any heat cycles.

For reference I have a 2006 325xi wagon with a manual, it's at 360k miles. It's had plenty of repairs, but a lot more of mine dates back to Munich than you would expect. That thing will go a long time.

--------------edit

That car is a find.

I'll overpay for any e9x 325xi with an MT and super low milage. Just park it until I need it. Love the wagon but I don't know if I have the bandwidth for an engine swap, subframectomey, and the other creeping malfunctions of a 400k mile car.

I want another one for every day driving for the next 10+ years.

Last edited by Brian86; 08-30-2023 at 07:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 09:15 PM   #6
En3myTank!
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian86 View Post
Maintenance... Garage kept at 30k miles...

Basically Nothing. Maybe dry/cracking rubber, but the car wasn't stored in death valley so I doubt that will be a problem.

I'd put fresh motor oil in and run a tank of fuel through it on the highway and mountains. A good long hot drive cycle dry all the other fluids and see how it runs.

Most of the maintenance problems on e9x are various plastics and rubber parts that fail from heat cycling. In a garage at 30k... there aren't any heat cycles.

For reference I have a 2006 325xi wagon with a manual, it's at 360k miles. It's had plenty of repairs, but a lot more of mine dates back to Munich than you would expect. That thing will go a long time.

--------------edit

That car is a find.

I'll overpay for any e9x 325xi with an MT and super low milage. Just park it until I need it. Love the wagon but I don't know if I have the bandwidth for an engine swap, subframectomey, and the other creeping malfunctions of a 400k mile car.

I want another one for every day driving for the next 10+ years.
I feel you Brian. This car will be daughters first car I think. I bought my '13 550i X-Drive new with zero regrets. This car still smells new inside, I'm having a hard time believing it. Ordered filters and gonna do the usual resurrection tune up and get it to an alignment shop.
Something's WAY wrong with the front end. The steering wheel is at 20 degrees off whilst driving straight and feels tight when steering...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 10:58 PM   #7
caldep
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325xi Touring MT X1 x28i

Garage List
2023 X2 F39  [0.00]
2022 X3 G01  [0.00]
2006 e91  [10.00]
Any updates?
Did you get the front end sorted?