E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > E Series N55 oil pressure loss - still no reliable solution in 2022?

04-02-2022, 07:26 PM   #1
DLucian
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 335i N55 | F20 125I B48

E Series N55 oil pressure loss - still no reliable solution in 2022?

Hi everybody. I know this has been discussed before and I researched for days but apparently, for my specific car, there is still no reliable solution for this issue.

So, my car is an E91 - 2010 335i with the N55 and hydraulic power steering. I looked into the following solutions and ended up with the following reasons why they would not work for me:

1. MMR oil sump baffle - only for F Series (gutted when I discovered this. It was bolt on, tested, good reviews, perfect solution really)

2. VAC Motorsport oil sump baffle - having to weld it on, the sump being aluminum, is a mine field really. Read about people not mounting it perfectly, ending up with issues. Others had leaks from the actual welds. Than there is the logistics of it and finally I was reading somewhere that someone was logging the oil pressures and they still dropped to dangerous levels. This was like the final nail in the coffin.

3. Other such weld on baffles - haven't read about people using them, just found them using google. Given the issues with the VAC one, I am really skeptical of getting a random one.

4. M2 oil sump with pump and pick-up lines. - seems like a good solution and, despite the cost, I was considering it, BUT: What do I do with the power steering pump? It is mounted in the oil sump on my E91 and the M2 sump does not have this mount. Retrofitting an electric steering is really an immense overkill that would add to the already huge cost if this option.

So, in the end, am I stuck half enjoying my car for the rest of my ownership? Is there nothing that can be done or am I missing something? Is there no good bolt on oil baffle solution that has been tested and know to work?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 08:24 AM   #2
oldkahuna
Registered
Sweden
Rep
Drives: E90 2011 335i xdrive mt6

Google "accusump n55"
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 01:15 AM   #3
CalvinNismo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Coupé

I recall reading that the M2 sump doesn't fit the E-Series subframe. This was a while ago though.

There is the VAC dry sump solution, but it is expensive!

For what it's worth, I have the VAC N54 baffle installed on my N55 135i.

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...bad49e22_k.jpg[/img]
Appreciate 1
E92only82.00
      04-10-2022, 06:34 AM   #4
DLucian
Private
Rep

Did you log the situation afterwards? Did it work?

I've been reading some not so great stuff about it and it led me going down a different path.
- firstly, the welding is difficult, being aluminum. Read about people not fitting it well, ending up making a hole in the sump, etc
- secondly, someone was saying that they still suffered engine failure due to starvation

What was your experience with it?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 09:30 AM   #5
CalvinNismo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLucian View Post
Did you log the situation afterwards? Did it work?

I've been reading some not so great stuff about it and it led me going down a different path.
- firstly, the welding is difficult, being aluminum. Read about people not fitting it well, ending up making a hole in the sump, etc
- secondly, someone was saying that they still suffered engine failure due to starvation

What was your experience with it?
I haven't got any numerical data that proves the baffle is effective or not, if that's what you mean?

I had it put in as I was having the rod bearings done, and I thought it couldn't hurt. I don't think a baffle like this is a fool proof solution, but I do think it's better than no baffle. It'll buy you more a little more time before starvation than no baffle, but as there's only one pickup, if there's no oil left to pickup where the pickup is you'll still be screwed.

If you are, or use a competent welder with experience in aluminium you should be fine.

I'd be interested to know if the M2 dual pickup would work with the E-Series sump.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 06:56 AM   #6
DLucian
Private
Rep

From what I have been researching, it clearly doesn't work for me because I have hydraulic steering and the power steering pump mounts on the oil sump.

Maybe if you have the electrical version, it might work but unsure.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 04:00 PM   #7
CalvinNismo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Based on the below thread over on 1Addicts, the VAC baffle does certainly help, though it's not perfect. It seems like the data you've been looking for!

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1914641
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 10:57 AM   #8
DLucian
Private
Rep

Thank you for the pointer, it was indeed what I was looking for.
Appreciate 1