E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > How bad are these oil leaks?

05-24-2022, 11:51 PM   #1
Milkbar
Rep
Drives: E92

How bad are these oil leaks?

Had a general inspection at the shop, they told me my oil pan gasket and turbo return hose leak. I haven’t had any oil droplets on the ground and oil levels seem to be okay. Is this something to be immediately worried about? Pictures are attached
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 12:17 AM   #2
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Nothing to panic about, but they are starting to leak. Oil pan is the least severe leak and many leave it for a long time. Aside from getting the underside of your engine/trans nasty, it won't hurt anything. The turbo one is probably a little more important but again, that looks like a slow leak so if you need to save up or plan a few other things while you're in there, you've got time.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2022, 03:10 AM   #3
Milkbar
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
Nothing to panic about, but they are starting to leak. Oil pan is the least severe leak and many leave it for a long time. Aside from getting the underside of your engine/trans nasty, it won't hurt anything. The turbo one is probably a little more important but again, that looks like a slow leak so if you need to save up or plan a few other things while you're in there, you've got time.
Thanks for the reply. The turbo hose looks deceptively simple. Looks like it’s just a rubber hose being held on my two clamps but hard to get to. Oil pan gasket I’ll definitely be looking for quotes around my area. What other things should I plan to do with the turbo oil return hose?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 12:21 AM   #4
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkbar View Post
Thanks for the reply. The turbo hose looks deceptively simple. Looks like it’s just a rubber hose being held on my two clamps but hard to get to. Oil pan gasket I’ll definitely be looking for quotes around my area. What other things should I plan to do with the turbo oil return hose?
I would very seriously consider getting your rod bearings done while you're in there. Seems like overkill but there are a LOT of N55's seizing up even with low mileage and a good maintenance history. An extra $500 or so and I think you'll have a lot more peace of mind. Engine mounts and trans mounts wouldn't be a bad idea but not urgent if they're not bad. That's about it!
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2022, 06:39 AM   #5
Eriksson3_3
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe 6at

They aren't leaking that bad, but they are still leaking. When a leak starts you won't see it for a while because it will just land and sit on the under trays and collect.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 05:33 PM   #6
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: bmw

Bad enough and wont get any better.
Appreciate 0