E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Drifting + Noob trying to learn = engine/steering problems

06-21-2019, 07:31 AM   #1
tazman19
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 330 e90

Drifting + Noob trying to learn = engine/steering problems

I'm new here and would like to get some help with a couple of issues I encountered on my first weekend of drifting with my 2006 330i.

3 Main things happened:
  1. Lost power steering
  2. Cylinder 5 is missfiring
  3. Big rattle/clacking sound seemingly from the plastic rocker arms

The first thing that happened is I lost power steering at the end of the first day. There is no leak or noise and enough fluid... It abruptly stopped after a full day of drifting, it didn't go bad slowly, in between 2 runs, something happened and I had no more power steering... It's not just harder, it's clearly not helping at all and I'm fighting the car when drifting now.
I had a lead to the active control from a friend with that thread, but I have no fuse in my fuse box for that system.
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1417115
Any tips on how to diagnose a steering rack system? Anything goes bad often? Could it be the rack, the pump, intermediate shaft or u joints?

Then let's talk about the engine
I'll start bin including the code my Carly gave me :
2C9F
2AAC
29D1
29D2
29CC
All of those are about the misfire, but I figured I'd put them up there so that no one asks me the codes

So I had the coils and the spark plugs all changed recently when one of my coil pack died on me, right before a road-trip of 3,000 km...
I also swapped 2 of the coil packs and nothing changes when I remove the nb 5.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the car right now and I didn't take the time to check the spark plug. I know I should do a compression test, but have no idea how to diagnose the fuel injection system.

Here is a video to show you guys the rattle that's coming, I believe, from the rockers:

Last edited by tazman19; 06-21-2019 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: Added youtube video link
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 07:36 AM   #2
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

For the power steering thing I did donuts 3 4 times with the car no issues. Then the other day I threw it around I also lost power steering for a while I was freaking out thought my belt shredded hahaha. But after letting it sit and drive around cool down everything came back normal. In your case steering is still not there?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 08:43 AM   #3
tazman19
Registered
Rep

It was sitting all night between Saturday and Sunday and it was still gone. So letting it sit unfortunately didn't help...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 09:09 AM   #4
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman19 View Post
It was sitting all night between Saturday and Sunday and it was still gone. So letting it sit unfortunately didn't help...
Damn ok. Does the pump make any noise at all. And how does the fluid look like.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 11:03 AM   #5
E92-Ghandi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 2010 N54 DCT ST

Perhaps your power steering fluid over heated! if there's no noise from the pump and the fluid is full, try changing the fluid. It's always recommended to have power steering cooler specially if you are increasing the steering angle.
As for the engine, what is the milage? did it over heat? run a compression test and share the numbers, i suspect a blown head-gasket!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 04:50 PM   #6
tazman19
Registered
Rep

I'll try changing the fluid, good idea. The car has 270k km and I doubt it was ever changed. It won't hurt that's for sure.
I was monitoring the engine during the day and it was getting around 107 or 110 deg C right after a 2.5 min run on the skidpad. It didn't seem too hot to me so I stopped monitoring it when I saw it was pretty consistent. I didn't get any check engine light or anything on the dash as I'm guessing I should get if it ever overheats or get close to it. Because BMW decided to ditch the water temp Gage in the cluster, I was trusting the engineers to put warnings or something...
I'll have to do a compression test as soon as I can.
Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0