E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Here we go again BATTERY REGISTRATION

05-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #45
Popsrcr
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
You should get the Bentley service manual for the E90; it provides a lot of information about the car that is not published elsewhere. It has a very detailed description on how the oil level/quality sensor works.

BMWs have been running extended OCIs (i.e. mileage beyond the Federally mandated 7,500 miles under normal operating conditions for cars) for over 25 years. Long OCIs in BMWs is nothing new.

My '06 325i has 214,000 running an average 17,500 mile OCI. It works.
Cool. Seems most people here don't follow that and change way early. I guess I can buy the oil lasting, but have always had a question about the filters lasting. But honestly, everyone went through this when the norm started moving away from 10w-40 oil as well. No one trusted putting in a 5w.

I had an 00 E46, but I don't recall the change interval being so long. Of course I didn't keep it long enough to find out.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #46
Snow King
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I am one to "share" my mistakes.

I did proactively change my battery at 6 yrs. I decided to pay the core charge ($15) and keep the old one.

I fully charged the old one, and then load tested it over and over--it was still good.

We have an aunt with a 2006 330i on the original battery, and it passes a load test.

I would say no need to change--you may see that in the winter or extreme summer, your accessories won't stay on as long as they should. But my advice is to load test any battery before replacing. Heck, it's what a shop would do before replacing a battery under warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzo23 View Post
I would, My battery in my 06 at the time was literally fine one night then go to start it the next morning and was dead as a door nail, no warning nothing. Got a bmw battery and got it registered never a problem after that. If your car is 6 yrs old its on its way out its just a gamble of when and where youll be when it does. If you have the means now id just do it for piece of mind. Just my opinion
I find myself in a battery quandary...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #47
46m3csl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

I recently had been getting low warning signs for the battery and my original battery was the original Bmw battery in the white casing now I got one from bosch that is a Black one many of you call this a AGM, what is the difference between the two?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 06:51 AM   #48
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46m3csl View Post
I recently had been getting low warning signs for the battery and my original battery was the original Bmw battery in the white casing now I got one from bosch that is a Black one many of you call this a AGM, what is the difference between the two?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=agm+battery

Different chemistry, different characteristics, difference charging profile (needs a hard limit on max charge voltage)....
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 03:51 PM   #49
DirtyDieselDog
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgrandma View Post
I changed my battery in winter 2011 because it died. Changed it to the same specs but not OEM. No coding or registering whatsoever. Had not a single problem with it.
Wonder how long it lasted
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 05:08 AM   #50
redhatcode29
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDieselDog View Post
Wonder how long it lasted
What worked for him may nit work for you, so dont count that !
Appreciate 0