E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Installing Earthquake SWS-8x Questions

03-24-2015, 11:08 PM   #1
gtabfknkdnme
5 Star General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82, F30

Installing Earthquake SWS-8x Questions

Hey everyone, I've read a few of the install guides for the Earthquake SWS-8X and have a few questions. I'm sure these have been answered, but I must've overlooked them so here they are:

1. Are the 'speaker adapters' included in this kit the ones I need? Are these what others have referred to as the 'spacers'?

http://www.amazon.com/Earthquake-Sou...9M34P4S65E0W7V

2. Are these direct plug and play to the factory harnesses/connectors or do I need to get some sort of adapter/connectors?

3. For the gap as described here:

"The keyhole gap where the OE speaker wires clip in is a bit of a problem, but nothing unmanageable. It certainly doesn't require lexan like the guy in the top link used. I simply used small pieces of dynamat then after running the power cable through and mounting the subwoofer, I hot glued the whole area about 1/2" thick. I figured thats a pretty good seal. "

I dont have a glue gun, any other recommendations to seal this area? If I do get a glue gun-what's an alternative to fiberglass or dynamat for sealing this area?

4. Are the OEM sub grills reinstalled once the SWS-8X is in?

5. Any other recommendations for the install?

I'm still not sold on installing these or just going with a single 10/12" sub and box set up in the trunk.

Any input to help me out here is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 01:14 PM   #2
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

1. No
2. No, you need connectors
3. The spacer/adapter should be cut to fill this gap
4. Yes
5. I didn't like them, but it is personal preference. No midbass, and weak on bass overall. If you have HiFi or L7 system, the better upgrade is to add a trunk sub and to put some amplification on the stock woofers, to increase mid-bass.