E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Audio Upgrade - Would Like Advice

03-20-2015, 12:51 AM   #1
martinblair
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i Touring

Garage List
Audio Upgrade - Would Like Advice

I have a 2010 328i Touring, and I just finished what I guess could be called stage 2 of my audio upgrade. I had ordered the harness from Technic, and installed an XD600/6. I could certainly tell an improvement, but I could also tell how awful the speakers were. Nothing new, it's been well documented on here. Big thanks to Technic though, made the install incredibly easy.

I ordered and installed the Rainbow Audio IL-C8.3 (3 way drop in component set) as well as some matching Rainbow coaxials in the rear. It sounds worlds better than what I started with, but I feel like I could do better. I included a couple pictures of the components, but I motored through the install and apparently terrible at documenting what I'm doing. Apparently from my phone I can only add one picture...

With the JL amp the underseats are just getting the minimum power recommended for them, so I could add a little more there. I'm looking to switch out the JL already for two 4 channel amps where I can band pass the underseats, and add a rear sub. Or, just add a two channel amp with band pass capabilities for the underseats, and bridge the two channels on the JL for the sub. What would you guys recommend?

On another note, I'm not sure I want to go this route at all, but am considering a basic two channel amp and getting the Gladen 4to6 DSP. It's not as high end it seems as many others here have installed, but it would give me a little more control. Has anyone here had some experience with this unit? There are very few reviews about it.
Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 01:54 AM   #2
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Make sure you are running the correct crossover frequencies. Try running the underseats up to 200-220hz, the door mids and highs at 220hz and up. When you do add a sub make sure that you adjust the crossover point of the underseats to the cutoff of the sub you add. The underseats do not NEED alot of power to get loud. I had a JBL MS-8 on all the speakers in the car to include the underseats and it got LOUD and it was only pushing 20w per channel. Best of luck and I hear good things about the Rainbows!
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 06:15 AM   #3
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

one option you have without adding more money would be to bridge the underseats (take up 4 channels of your xd600) for 200 watts/side and run your rears off the head unit. I ran mine for awhile this way until I added another amp (now have (2) 4 channel amps)
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 06:56 AM   #4
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328i e93 alpine white

consider deleting the rear speakers. that will have a huge positive impact.
iPhone 6 Plus (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay. Toslink out of Airport Express to Helix P-Six DSP. PHD AF 1.C tweeters, PHD FB 4.1 midranges. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
Appreciate 0