Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Ended up with random tires with faults. Should I replace all four tires?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-15-2022, 08:34 PM   #1
greenberet123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93

Ended up with random tires with faults. Should I replace all four tires?

Have a 2008 E93 with a staggered setup with 225/40R18 and 255/35R18. I used to have RFTs but one by one, tires got flat and got replaced with non-RFTs. Now, I have ended up with 4 non RFTs from different brands with different thread styles.

After the last inspection, here is the situation:
https://shop.tekmetric.com/inspectio...ItalQp_P9R3dy0

Front left: Perfectly fine
Front Right: Has a thin crack on the inner sidewall (see pic) but the thread depth is great
Rear left: Seems fine
Rear right: Has a dent on the inner sidewall (see pic) and is also almost worn out.

Now, I am not someone who races or uses the car in performance mode. I do drive long distances on weekends though.

The shop guy adviced me to get all 4 tires replaced. I looked into this and there are places like costco and discount tires in the US, which have good deals for something like the Michelin Pilot sport.

Now, a few questions

1. Do you think I need to replace all 4 tires like the shop guy said?
2. If yes, should I go to a place like costco/discount tire, or should I go to Les Schwab?

What happens when I get a flat? I normally get it towed to a Les Schwab - but I cannot tow it to costco/discount tire. When I get a flat, if I tow it to Les Schwab, they will put a different tire and I will again end up with a bunch of different random tires. Also, when I get a flat and replace a tire, will it not be weird that one side has a worn out tire and the other has a new one?

How do people handle tires? Should I get one of those thin replacement tires and keep that in the trunk? Does that work for E93s?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 10:25 PM   #2
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I would replace all the tires, save the best two for use as a spare and buy a single wheel. It doesn’t matter if you buy from Tire Rack, Costco or whomever as long as they are quality tires, mounted and aligned properly.
      01-16-2022, 06:06 PM   #3
W4HG0N
Padawan
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E91 Auto

Garage List
This ^ +1
Appreciate 1