E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 Rear window stuck down after replacing regulator

09-13-2020, 08:42 PM   #1
bcuzbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

E90 Rear window stuck down after replacing regulator

Hi all,
I know threads like this have been beaten to death but after hours of searching I haven't found a solution to this exact issue. I apologize for the lengthy post I just want to give as much info as possible.

As I was driving the other day the green plastic clip holding the rear left (driver side) window in place snapped and the cable for the regulator came loose. The window fell all the way down as I drove.

I brought the car home, pulled the door card off and replaced the regulator with an aftermarket Dorman regulator I bought a few years ago from Amazon.
It moved up and down so I went ahead and threw the door card back on. I then tried to reinitialize the window and it got stuck in the all the way down position. When I try to close the window the motor makes a sound for half a second, the window moves a hair and goes back down. (Not an inch or quarter inch like other threads mention)

I pulled the door card back off, gave the glass a nudge up and simultaneously clicked the window switch to go all the way up. The window goes all the way up, stops and rolls halfway down. I then try to roll it all the way down to reinitialize and it gets stuck in the down position again. I can only get it to go back up by giving it a light push up as a I click the switch.

Currently I closed the window by moving it up in increments with the switch, however when I lock the car it rolls itself back down to the halfway point. (Because the auto window closing and power folding mirror delay is set to 0 seconds)

To me it seems like the window senses something blocking it when it is all the way down and anti trap kicks in to stop it. However I do not see anything that could be blocking it, and a light nudge up corrects the issue.

More context that may be relevant:
1) Since I bought the car three years ago, this same window would get stuck down sometimes. After locking it and walking a way for a few minutes it would go back up. This happened about three times. With the new regulator installed I tried locking and waiting as well as disconnecting the battery but the window still doesn't go back up.
2) When I was replacing the regulator the window was stuck all the way down and I could not get it to lift up more than a few inches by pulling/pushing the glass up. Therefore I installed the new regulator in the same all the way down position. This is different than the DIY's I saw that replaced the regulator with the window half open.
3) Window is tinted

Any advice would be helpful, not sure if this is due to the aftermarket regulator or maybe something isn't lubricated enough and giving to much resistance causing the anti trap to kick in and leave the window down.

2007 E91 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 10:09 PM   #2
csquared013
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Arctic metallic 2006 330xi

I have the same issue with my driver's side rear window but only if I put it all the way down. Had the dealer replace the regulator under warranty back in 2009 since I guess it's a known issue for E90s. However, I also have tint and the dealer told me they see it happening on cars with tint more often... not sure how accurate or true that is though.

When you said you reinitialized the regulator do you mean the trick where you roll the window all the way down and then click a second time and hold for 15 seconds to reset the calibration?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 12:17 PM   #3
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcuzbmw View Post
Hi all,
I know threads like this have been beaten to death but after hours of searching I haven't found a solution to this exact issue. I apologize for the lengthy post I just want to give as much info as possible.

As I was driving the other day the green plastic clip holding the rear left (driver side) window in place snapped and the cable for the regulator came loose. The window fell all the way down as I drove.

I brought the car home, pulled the door card off and replaced the regulator with an aftermarket Dorman regulator I bought a few years ago from Amazon.
It moved up and down so I went ahead and threw the door card back on. I then tried to reinitialize the window and it got stuck in the all the way down position. When I try to close the window the motor makes a sound for half a second, the window moves a hair and goes back down. (Not an inch or quarter inch like other threads mention)

I pulled the door card back off, gave the glass a nudge up and simultaneously clicked the window switch to go all the way up. The window goes all the way up, stops and rolls halfway down. I then try to roll it all the way down to reinitialize and it gets stuck in the down position again. I can only get it to go back up by giving it a light push up as a I click the switch.

Currently I closed the window by moving it up in increments with the switch, however when I lock the car it rolls itself back down to the halfway point. (Because the auto window closing and power folding mirror delay is set to 0 seconds)

To me it seems like the window senses something blocking it when it is all the way down and anti trap kicks in to stop it. However I do not see anything that could be blocking it, and a light nudge up corrects the issue.

More context that may be relevant:
1) Since I bought the car three years ago, this same window would get stuck down sometimes. After locking it and walking a way for a few minutes it would go back up. This happened about three times. With the new regulator installed I tried locking and waiting as well as disconnecting the battery but the window still doesn't go back up.
2) When I was replacing the regulator the window was stuck all the way down and I could not get it to lift up more than a few inches by pulling/pushing the glass up. Therefore I installed the new regulator in the same all the way down position. This is different than the DIY's I saw that replaced the regulator with the window half open.
3) Window is tinted

Any advice would be helpful, not sure if this is due to the aftermarket regulator or maybe something isn't lubricated enough and giving to much resistance causing the anti trap to kick in and leave the window down.
Dorman regulator is the culprit, I had the same exact issue and there are a few Amazon reviews saying the same thing. I ended up biting the bullet and bought a BMW regulator.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 12:53 PM   #4
bmwbob89
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328XI 04 325XI 740 88 M5

Hey read the post I've been on and see if you have the same problem. Both of mine had the issue after the previous owner replaced the regulators. There is a video of what mine and his were doing. Mine were both of the motors. Read to the bottom.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1664982
Appreciate 0