E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Upgrade or Fix Your Busted N55 N54 Chargepipe DIY!

08-01-2020, 01:30 PM   #1
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

Thumbs up Upgrade or Fix Your Busted N55 N54 Chargepipe DIY!

I just realized there isn't a DIY for this in the E90 forums!

If you have an E90 N55 or N54 this will or has already happened to you around the 60k mile interval. It won't leave you stranded but it sure as hell sucks!

Don't even think about calling your dealership and spending $500 on a new plastic pipe that will pop again. Slap some duct tape on your broken pipe. Drive home and order a VRSF pipe or any metal pipe you can find.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1363.50
      08-01-2020, 05:03 PM   #2
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Didn't watch the video, a little annoyed by people who come here for views. If you have something to share and help people, post the info in the thread.

Mine broke at the coupling to the throttle body. About half of the flange broke off and a piece got stuck in the throttle blade, really got lucky it didn't get sucked into the intake. The metal clip was laying on the belly pan. Anyway, I was able to pull the broken chunk out of the throttle body, slide the pipe back onto the throttle body and half secure it with the metal clip. Restarted the car and had the RPM bucking from 500 to 1500 and limp mode, no way to drive it like that. Luckily had a Bluetooth/OBD adapter with me and Torque Pro at the the and I was able to clear the codes, which fixed the idle bucking and limp mode to be able to drive the car another 5 miles home.

Point being, it absolutely can render you stranded. I got lucky. Who carries duct tape with them?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 09:20 AM   #3
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
Didn't watch the video, a little annoyed by people who come here for views. If you have something to share and help people, post the info in the thread.
I definitely don't need views or subscribers. I've been around 16+ years on the BMW forums with DIYs and Mods going back to my first 1995 318i BMW. I'm very happy with my following and more happy to know I've helped more people than I could count.

Also if you know me then you know YouTube is not my profession or bread and butter.

I'm more interested in filling this DIY section with actual useful content instead of the repetitive "make my car go faster" nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
Mine broke at the coupling to the throttle body. About half of the flange broke off and a piece got stuck in the throttle blade, really got lucky it didn't get sucked into the intake. The metal clip was laying on the belly pan. Anyway, I was able to pull the broken chunk out of the throttle body, slide the pipe back onto the throttle body and half secure it with the metal clip. Restarted the car and had the RPM bucking from 500 to 1500 and limp mode, no way to drive it like that. Luckily had a Bluetooth/OBD adapter with me and Torque Pro at the the and I was able to clear the codes, which fixed the idle bucking and limp mode to be able to drive the car another 5 miles home.

Point being, it absolutely can render you stranded. I got lucky. Who carries duct tape with them?
If I was the best case of this happening and you the worst case and we both made it home then I will say if you have half a brain and some sense you can find a way to make it home providing you are not on the other side of the continental USA at the end of you Cannonball Run.

Said and done there was ABSOLUTELY NO INFO on this in the DIY Sections which is appalling. It is a plastic pipe that will break on all these cars eventually.

I'm not posting nonsense nor am I putting up click bait on how to tint you car or add angel eyes to halogen housings.

Put some respect on it bro.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832
Appreciate 0