E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Has anyone successfully integrated a reverse camera using the autofocustech emulator?

09-06-2020, 03:09 PM   #1
billabong02
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 BWM 3 Series E90

Has anyone successfully integrated a reverse camera using the autofocustech emulator?

Hi,

Has anyone here in the UK successfully integrated a backup camera into their cic using Rotatory Rasp's diy thread:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005301

I've got it working but I'm dealing with a very annoying issue where it only works once and doesn't work for subsequent shifts into the reverse.

I've used the autofocustech emulator below:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reversing...-/281474834192

And this camera:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/153151350780

I can't tell whether my emulator is bad or whether it's a cic firmware related issue as some people have pointed out.

If it helps my cic firmware is CIC.C0D

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 04:29 PM   #2
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Not in the uk obviously. but I've never had a problem with my autofocus emu.

So it only works once? then the only way it'll work again is after shutting the car down?

When you tapped in the CAN wires did you solder? or just crimped? solid camera ground?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 05:47 PM   #3
billabong02
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GovernUrMental View Post
Not in the uk obviously. but I've never had a problem with my autofocus emu.

So it only works once? then the only way it'll work again is after shutting the car down?

When you tapped in the CAN wires did you solder? or just crimped? solid camera ground?
Yes, it only works again after shutting the car down. I've used posi taps to tap into all the wiring. The camera ground is solid.

I even tried disconnecting the camera to try and isolate the problem, so without the camera connected I get a black spot where the camera feed should be the first time and on a subsequent shift I get a grey spot with all the buttons disabled and that points to either the emulator being bad, a coding issue or possibly my cic version being old.

If the wiring was bad it wouldn't even work the first time.

One guy said he eliminated this problem by updating his cic, what's is yours just out of curiosity?

Last edited by billabong02; 09-06-2020 at 05:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 06:32 PM   #4
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by billabong02 View Post
Yes, it only works again after shutting the car down. I've used posi taps to tap into all the wiring. The camera ground is solid.

I even tried disconnecting the camera to try and isolate the problem, so without the camera connected I get a black spot where the camera feed should be the first time and on a subsequent shift I get a grey spot with all the buttons disabled and that points to either the emulator being bad, a coding issue or possibly my cic version being old.

If the wiring was bad it wouldn't even work the first time.

One guy said he eliminated this problem by updating his cic, what's is yours just out of curiosity?
I have the same camera and emulator and the latest C1A firmware. So yeah if your 100% the connections are solid you could be right about the firmware issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 06:40 AM   #5
billabong02
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I see, so how much did it cost to get the latest firmware? And did you get it done with a stealership?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 04:45 PM   #6
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by billabong02 View Post
I see, so how much did it cost to get the latest firmware? And did you get it done with a stealership?
Retrofit already C1A. Apparently it's only safe to update CIC with icom but i haven't looked into it much
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 05:43 AM   #7
billabong02
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GovernUrMental View Post
Retrofit already C1A. Apparently it's only safe to update CIC with icom but i haven't looked into it much
I see, I'll probably get someone to do it for me.
Appreciate 0