E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Auto gearbox lurch and hanging on to gears longer?

11-22-2013, 01:24 AM   #1
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Question Auto gearbox lurch and hanging on to gears longer?

Delay from going to 2-3 and 3-4.. and when it does there is a lurch. A bit like someone with poor clutch control would do... except this is an auto.

Reading around a lot of folk seem to suggest a software update for the box but the dealer says that it does not require an update... I have made two visits to the dealer so far... the box is not as smooth as it used to be.

Hmmmm
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 02:10 AM   #2
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Have you tried doing a gearbox adaptation reset?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Yeh thats the first thing I tried with bav tech but I think it just cleared all 4 modes of learning and now its relearning driving styles and thats about it.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 04:54 AM   #4
bmwm-power
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320d M Sport Auto

had a smilir issue with my E90 mate, did the temporary reset of swithing ignition on/holding throttle to floor for 30 sec then letting go and starting car id did seem to work . but would only work for 1 journey
so i had the adaptive values reset and that made an improvement.
but the garage guy said its a common issue and the proper cure is a software update

Might also be worth doing an oil service on gearbox see if it helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 05:11 AM   #5
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

I had this when I remapped a 320d - when it was fine before ... Is yours remapped ?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

whats the mileage?

fluid change on my 330d at 100k miles made it feel like a new box, all the sometimes reluctant hesitant lumpy changes totally gone.
      11-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #7
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

I've had this too, with a few trips to dealer:

1st trip) reset gearbox values. Improved a little but got back to how it was after a while
2nd trip) Car software update. Same as above
3rd trip) Actual gearbox software was changed. Same as above!

I got some bullshit from the dealer saying because my wheels are different it affects the wheel speed sensors and somehow affects the gearbox. LOL. To be fair he got that advice from Munich and he himself said he didn't buy it. He also tried saying the gearbox learns my style of driving. I know this is true but it does not mean it should make the gearbox lurch. Apparantly mechanically everything is fine. Mileage now is 50k.

Next step is an automatic transmission fluid and filter change. This is another "lifetime fill" that BMW insist on, i don't buy it. Hopefully it will inprove things as the above member has said.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

as above, what milege is the car at?
more so if you guys have remapped you car then i would be looking to change the gearbox oil at an earlier stage

Mine was changed around the 115k mark and it did make a difference as I found prior to the change the gearbox felt like it was slipping from 2nd and 3rd. on the cold morning i noticed it alot more.

as per my other thread I will post up pic of the oil that came out and it defo imo is not lifetime oil
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 02:02 AM   #9
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

She's youngish at 48k miles on the clock. Do post up a photo of the oil that came out.

I have a theory... there was an ATF leak a few months ago and the dealer replaced a seal on the gearbox. However, AFAIK they re-use the oil that is in the gearbox and the machine/pump they use is used to drain other types of fluid... so my theory is the oldish fluid in my box mixed with even more old crud in their machine/pump and was put back into my box.

How much does an oil and filter change at the stealer cost then?

Bav Tech gave me a shadow code for the transmission solenoid. Speaking to a friend the solenoid and valve body are common culprits in such circumstances. Let's see what the dealership says next week.

I've heard the tyres one before too! What a PITA...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #10
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Please see my thread below -
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...4#post15034894
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #11
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Dealership has had the car for a week now. At first the fluid was changed but after a few days there was the rough up/down shift and lurch. There has been communication from Germany to issue a new gearbox. The dealer has been at a complete loss throughout. Every fault code they have encountered has not made any sense as things have pointed in the "opposite direction."

Glad it is getting sorted.

My money was on the torque converter / mechatronic but I guess we'll never know. You would expect better from an autobox at 48k miles.

Last edited by Soul_Glo; 12-03-2013 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #12
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Fox View Post
Dealership has had the car for a week now. At first the fluid was changed but after a few days there was the rough up/down shift and lurch. There has been communication from Germany to issue a new gearbox. The dealer has been at a complete loss throughout. Every fault code they have encountered has not made any sense as things have pointed in the "opposite direction."

Glad it is getting sorted.

My money was on the torque converter / mechatronic but I guess we'll never know. You would expect better from an autobox at 48k miles.
Your dealer changed the transmission fluid?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 06:25 AM   #13
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Apparently they did and it was a 'partial' drain. I think with the draining service they offer there is still a lot of oil left in the gearbox - and their philosophy seems to be 'replace' rather than 'repair'. Regardless of what they do, I will be making a trip to Dortmund next year - by the end of the year I would have probably covered 50k miles. I spoke with Sagert (Senior Tech at ZF) at length yesterday and he is more than happy to give it a butchers when I bring it in. Sagert said that the boxes are not "filled for life" and with an oil service at every 60k miles/5 years (whichever comes first) he is confident that the box can see more than 150k miles without any problems.

Anyone interested in this, here is more info:

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/527361

The dealer also spun me some BS about how the gearbox is "adaptive" to cold conditions and is "designed to hold on to gears for longer when cold." I said: "...but the box sounds like someone is in the wrong gear for too long. Driving in first and having a delayed shift to two makes everyone look at you like you are over-revving in the wrong gear..." to which he had no reply. Oh they tried all sorts... even accusing me of being a boy racer when I am more of a Christian motorist. I don't even give it the beans... I have a lot of mechanical sympathy for this car for some reason.

The mechatronic sleeve has been replaced twice in the last 6k miles as it was leaking. Something is seriously wrong there.

Last edited by Soul_Glo; 12-04-2013 at 06:32 AM.. Reason: Additional information on dealership
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #14
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

You're lucky. My dealer said mechanically its fine and apparantly the gearbox software was changed. I might try them one more time and maybe they will agree to a new transmission or a full transmission service, but i doubt it.

Yeah the dealers do spout some BS lol. They actually told me because my alloys are different (still 19" though) the wheel sensors give different data and the gearbox might be affected!. That has to be the worst explanation ever. They also said it adapts to my style of driving, thereby implying its my fault!

I'm going on holiday tomorrow for a few months. Plan is to just buy the full service kit (link in mistryn's thread) and just get an indy to do it. I've just hit 50k and its a 5 year okd car, so it seems a good time to do it.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 03:46 AM   #15
Turrrbo
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 320d

Garage List
Bumping an old thread.

Searching on google and youtube for this issue of holding on to gears and the shifts being a little jerky showed me solutions like changing a mechatronics seal and servicing/replacing the solenoids in the valve body.

what are everyone's thoughts on that?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 06:02 AM   #16
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrbo View Post
Bumping an old thread.

Searching on google and youtube for this issue of holding on to gears and the shifts being a little jerky showed me solutions like changing a mechatronics seal and servicing/replacing the solenoids in the valve body.

what are everyone's thoughts on that?
not done ya research very well,more than likely wear to clutch E,facebook forums have plenty info,,put in sport mode cold and hot,,drive with light throttle and if it jerks/bumps ifrom 2nd to 3rd then more than likely wear to clutch E
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2020, 02:38 AM   #17
Turrrbo
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 320d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
not done ya research very well,more than likely wear to clutch E,facebook forums have plenty info,,put in sport mode cold and hot,,drive with light throttle and if it jerks/bumps ifrom 2nd to 3rd then more than likely wear to clutch E
Thanks man, clearly I haven't.. Will look into that !
Will any of these show up as errors upon scanning?

Is it just due to wear and tear? this is a car that is predominantly driven in city conditions in india (read as: not good for the car) completed just under 73,000 km
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 03:26 AM   #18
DriverLDN
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport E90 2006

Sounds like the gearbox might need a service. My gearbox was doing this around 65k miles, so I dropped it into A1BN had a gearbox service done and the rear diff oil changed at the same time.

Made a huge difference to the car, I'm now on 110k and its still really smooth.
      12-22-2020, 05:01 AM   #19
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post

Is it just due to wear and tear? this is a car that is predominantly driven in city conditions in india (read as: not good for the car) completed just under 73,000 km
Namaste. The gearbox requires an oil change every 40k miles according to ZF (manufacturer of the gearbox). The most you can get away with is 60k miles. After that it's probably not worth changing. The pan and gearbox sleeve should be changed with the oil change. In a hot country your oil is likely to degrade quicker.

Source:
https://www.holtsauto.com/prestone/n...t-weather-car/

So my advice would be change at the 40,000 mile interval.

Fault codes may or may not show up.
Mine had no fault codes. The technician drove it and knew immediately something wasn't right.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 10:23 AM   #20
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:

you need gearbox adaptions read,then sent to zf,,xhp app can read adaptions and carly may be able to,ista also etc, a proper service can save the box,,but if it dont,,then the money is wasted if clutch e is at fault..
Appreciate 0