E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Just Installed Dinan Springs on E90 LCI

05-23-2017, 08:28 PM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Just thought I'd share pics of my E90 xDrive sitting on Dinan springs. At 70,000 miles car was due for suspension refresh so I replaced shocks, springs, strut mount, front control arms, endlinks and sway bar bushings. Everything was oem with exception of the springs but given the minimal drop, I wasn't worried about pairing them with Bilstein B4's.

Reason for going with Dinan was simple. The E90 is my daily so wanted to maintain ride comfort and clearance for northeast winters. Also I got the springs and bump stop kit brand new for half off lol. But the goal was to achieve a factory looking sport package height (if such a thing existed) and improve handling without introducing unwanted NVH. Quite happy with the result.

Relative to rear the front still has more wheel gap which explains why Dinan doesnt even offer shocks for the front. But at least I don't have to worry about bottoming out or riding on the bump stops. How she sits a week later with 12mm spacers on all 4 corners:

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 09:23 PM   #2
Duck360198
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F30 340i Laguna Seca Blue

So what if you wanted to eliminate rake at the front? What would you need to do? Is it even possible with springs?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 09:40 PM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck360198 View Post
So what if you wanted to eliminate rake at the front? What would you need to do? Is it even possible with springs?
I suppose I could lower the stack height by getting camber plates but seems overkill for a commuter car. Aside from that however you're really looking at a more aggressive drop whether it's shorter springs or coilovers. And unless you get a decent adjustable setup ($$$), you're inevitably going to introduce more harshness.

I know others here have experimented with using rwd springs and to be honest I don't know much about those. I wanted something that was specifically engineered for the xdrive suspension and weight.
      05-25-2017, 07:14 AM   #4
miker2013
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi 6mt Msport coupe

how is the ride compared to stock springs, especially when pushing the car? is the body roll and floatiness of stock suspension still as pronounced?

maybe the ride heigth will settle a little if they were brand new?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 06:35 PM   #5
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by miker2013 View Post
how is the ride compared to stock springs, especially when pushing the car? is the body roll and floatiness of stock suspension still as pronounced?

maybe the ride heigth will settle a little if they were brand new?
That pic was taken a week after install so it's about settled as it'll get.

Handling is way improved but let's be honest.... for the car to handle like it's on rails, you're going to have to make some compromises. The ride still feels as good as stock but it's no m3. It feels as good as a factory rwd setup. If you're looking to push your car I would honestly recommend something firmer like Bilstein B6's but for everyday driving B4's is sufficient.
      12-25-2020, 04:04 PM   #6
Herakles
Captain
Rep
Drives: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Just thought I'd share pics of my E90 xDrive sitting on Dinan springs. At 70,000 miles car was due for suspension refresh so I replaced shocks, springs, strut mount, front control arms, endlinks and sway bar bushings. Everything was oem with exception of the springs but given the minimal drop, I wasn't worried about pairing them with Bilstein B4's.

Reason for going with Dinan was simple. The E90 is my daily so wanted to maintain ride comfort and clearance for northeast winters. Also I got the springs and bump stop kit brand new for half off lol. But the goal was to achieve a factory looking sport package height (if such a thing existed) and improve handling without introducing unwanted NVH. Quite happy with the result.

Relative to rear the front still has more wheel gap which explains why Dinan doesnt even offer shocks for the front. But at least I don't have to worry about bottoming out or riding on the bump stops. How she sits a week later with 12mm spacers on all 4 corners:

Very cool
I’m about to do dinan I think , with b8s- what shocks did you go with ?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 04:07 PM   #7
Herakles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
That pic was taken a week after install so it's about settled as it'll get.

Handling is way improved but let's be honest.... for the car to handle like it's on rails, you're going to have to make some compromises. The ride still feels as good as stock but it's no m3. It feels as good as a factory rwd setup. If you're looking to push your car I would honestly recommend something firmer like Bilstein B6's but for everyday driving B4's is sufficient.
I’m surprised to read after so many upgrades - I had a ls1 trans am and when i did eibach and koni it was like on rails- the e90 handles better than any fbod I would imagine replacing old non M suspension to something so much more sport tuned would made worlds difference over stock
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 06:46 AM   #8
Herakles
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Old thread but about to get dinan springs for my 2011 335xi, so you got bump stops bc you were on stock suspension? I’m trying to confirm if I get bilsteins if I will need new bump stops being they have them built in?
Appreciate 0