E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Map update fails on SSD

12-20-2020, 07:03 PM   #1
robabruton
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 335i, '10 E92 335i

Garage List
Question Map update fails on SSD

Hello,

BACKSTORY:

Previously I have used a tool to copy (sector-by-sector) my iDrive HDD and then restored the image on a new SSD. I purchased a brand new PATA IDE drive off of ebay but could not seem to recognize it (I bought a tool to read/write to various drive technologies). I eventually gave up and bought a mSATA drive and an adapter board (mSATA to IDE); I was able to restore the image to the mSATA. It took a few different tries with various backup/restore software, but I eventually got one capable of copying sector-by-sector that appeared to work. The original HDD was completely full with music that had been copied to iDrive; I copied the whole image including the media to the new SSD and then deleted the music from iDrive once I installed the new drive into my car. I had issues with resizing the media storage partition (issues with getting the OS to work, so I didn't really bother doing it). All normal functions seem to work properly as far as I can remember; the map/nav was not as quick as I was assuming it would be based on my laptop/desktop OS hdd-to-ssd upgrades, but works perfectly fine I guess. I believe it is quicker than the HDD.

I wasn't sure if the backstory was relevant. I can provide more details for anything needed.

MY ISSUE:

When I first tried to update to the 2020 maps via USB (currently running 2017 maps I think), everything appeared to be working until the progress got to around 18% and then the screen just went back to the home screen/main menu. The USB was no longer showing up. Removing and reinserting it would often not work, but occasionally it did. The USB is/was brand new, purchased specifically for this task. I reformatted it for this purpose, too. Every time I try to update the maps, it seems to work for a little bit (<20%) but then always stops and iDrive seems to stop picking up my USB for a little while.

I still have the backup image as well as the original drive. The HDD is not failing AFAIK, but I want the speed and reliability of an SSD. I feel like something weird is going on with the restored image. I'm pretty tech-savvy and don't mind fixing this myself with some help/input, but would also be happy to pay somebody to fix this. I'm located in MS, USA. Tired of this headache. Looking for any input/suggestions/help.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 04:30 PM   #2
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

It sounds like the CIC is having trouble writing to the SSD partition for the maps.

It does not seem to have good error checking and reporting, so if an issue occurs you end up with a crash that takes down other devices too... hence your USB...

In your shoes I would redo the SSD install and do a one for one copy of the original drive, not messing with the partition sizes.

I assume the original drive is otherwise ok and has no errors.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 10:23 PM   #3
Jagaer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi 6MT

Do you know which adapter and msata ssd you are using?

It may be a slight incompatibility between the two (like UDMA mismatch) which only presents itself during heavy writes.

Based on your description it does sound like it is the IDE Adapter/SSD and not the USB, since it affects both map update and media copy.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 07:46 AM   #4
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 M-Sport

put the oem drive back in and update the maps, then clone the hdd and write to ssd (as is) and see what happens

Appreciate 0