E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > General question about Nav & Satrad software upgrades

11-12-2020, 03:24 PM   #1
five_timer
no turbo, no auto, no iDrive, no kidding
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

General question about Nav & Satrad software upgrades

I just got a 2008 E93 328 with nav; my last car (2011 128) got totaled. I know there are many threads about updating maps and retrofitting non-factory satellite radios, but I have a basic question about the capabilities of these features via iDrive.

The navigation seems archaic; having to spell-out letters of a city, or searching through categories of place types is useless to me. I can just say the name of any destination into Google maps on my phone, and I'm all set.

Also, playing SiriusXM through the sat receiver provides me with only the artist name and song name; no album art, category, music type, or any other information.

Do any of the software/coding upgrades address these? Or do they simply update the maps? I apologize if this has been answered a thousand times, but I tried searching, and came up empty.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 06:59 AM   #2
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

None of the upgrades will help you with that type of problem. Why not get one of the many MMI boxes and add functionality that way? Easiest way to get new tech into the car.

You can add Android Auto/Carplay, BT audio streaming, etc etc. Anadream, Carlink a bunhc of companies sell them (they're all the same for the most part)
      11-13-2020, 08:45 PM   #3
five_timer
no turbo, no auto, no iDrive, no kidding
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Thanks, that gives me some ideas. I have a BT audio receiver for streaming via Aux in. But that still makes my phone the controller/display.
Appreciate 0