E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Blower stopped working and still wont work. (lost, no idea what do next)

12-09-2015, 09:26 PM   #1
oilcrankinject
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: nothing

Blower stopped working and still wont work. (lost, no idea what do next)

My blower stopped working a few weeks ago.

I inspected the connection and the wire harness had a melted connector and there were burn marks on the resistor pack.

I replace the resistor pack and I replaced the connect and crimps.

I checked for voltage but I did read anything. I checked for voltage on fuse 88 but again, nothing. My Bentley manual says the next thing is a 250 amp fuse.

No way in hell it is that. Since the blower is PWM controlled, could an issue with the PWM signal cause the blower not to receive voltage (and to run) ?

I checked for voltage going to the blower by disconnecting the 2 wire connected that comes from the resistor pack.

Last edited by oilcrankinject; 01-03-2016 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 10:33 PM   #2
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

silly question, but did you try testing the blower itself to see if it works?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 06:04 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Sounds like you need a BMW scan tool and test the HVAC module for fault codes.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 07:59 PM   #4
oilcrankinject
Captain
United_States
Rep

I think I found the issue.

Fuse 88, the 40 amp fuse for the blower was blown even though I could not tell it was because of non translucent plastic of the fuse.

The PWM wire came out of the connector so I am looking for the right tool to release the crimp out of the connector.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 02:00 PM   #5
oilcrankinject
Captain
United_States
Rep

Well my blower STILL does not work.

New:

F88 40 amp fuse
Blower
Blower output stage
Wire harness connector
Connector crimps (3 of them)

I cannot get any voltage on F88. According to my Bentley manual, the next thing to check is a 240 amp fuse in fuse holder, rear. (the one that is on top of the battery).

I am lost. I do not know what else to do or check.

Original problem? Blower stopped working, saw that wire harness connector had melted on of the crimp connectors.

Help please.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 05:51 PM   #6
oilcrankinject
Captain
United_States
Rep

Ordered the BT scan tool. Hope to get it by the end of the week.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 12:20 PM   #7
hankcah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Hoping you got this fixed, as your original post was from December.

I had this problem last summer. It came down to between the blower & the attached regulator piece, which runs the blower. People say it's one or the other, but to make life easier, to just buy it attached, $100-150 as it won't matter as it's an awkward repair. I think it was a Valeo part, but I just looked at a few options on Pelican Parts and looked for cheaper options on other bmw parts sites.

I remember the install, you had to go on your back, with your head under the glove compartment on the passenger side. In the videos you simply unhook some power, and then twist off. The twisting was the hard part. I was under there for about 30 minutes with many breaks. But it eventually came loose. Just awkward.

What is the wire harness connector? Is that the regulator that's on the blower?
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2016, 09:49 AM   #8
oilcrankinject
Captain
United_States
Rep

My blower is new and so is the regulator.

I havent been able to work on the car since mid January and I cant get my scan tool to work (requires .net framework on laptop but it wont install).

I am off to more school on Sunday. I will be staying in a hotel this time so some of my tools are coming with me.

The wire harness connector is the connector that plugged into the regulator. It was partially melted. I had to rebuild the connector.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 03:01 PM   #9
oilcrankinject
Captain
United_States
Rep

I test the HVAC controller in an E90 M3.

It worked.

Back to nothing. I am going to see what else it could be.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 01:55 PM   #10
Revern83
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 335i

Before you go and spend any money try taking off your air filter and on the passenger side youll notice your blower motor with a rusty bolt at the top. take some wd40 and using the straw spray that rusty bolt generously. After that take a long screw driver or something to give the fan a few turns to loosen things up the give things a try. worked for me and many other. I cant take the credit for this fix. I couldn't find the original post or I would have attached it but I believe the users name was aman475 if im not mistaken. takes all of 10-15 min and you can easily do yourself.
Appreciate 0