E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Castrol Edge SAE 5W-40 US (full synthetic) is it ok for my 2007 328xi?

04-14-2016, 03:19 PM   #1
WhiteBeard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: slowly

Question Castrol Edge SAE 5W-40 US (full synthetic) is it ok for my 2007 328xi?

Am I really at any real danger using it? I kinda suspect it's going to be fine, but a quick approval from forum members will let my mind on ease. Thank you.
P.S. it says on the back something like BMW long-life 01 approved oil - for what it's worth

Also, how important is to use good Mann filter - or some FRAM XG series (for synthetic oil) filter will do just fine?

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/castrol-.../6000192262870

P.P.S. I'm just not sure since it says US instead of some European label - not sure if that matter at all?

Last edited by WhiteBeard; 04-14-2016 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 03:45 PM   #2
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

DO NOT USE FRAM FILTER THEY FALL APART!

Use Mann or OEM.

Oil is oil as long as it meets the required specifications in the owners manual.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2016, 06:35 PM   #3
WhiteBeard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riick View Post
DO NOT USE FRAM FILTER THEY FALL APART!

Use Mann or OEM.

Oil is oil as long as it meets the required specifications in the owners manual.
Wow you scared me, but thanks for the tip! I'll return FRAM and buy Mann online then.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 08:19 PM   #4
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Just out of interest, are the OEM oil filters over there also generally cheaper than the "aftermarket" oil filters like they are here? The only filter that I think is truly madly priced where I am is the cabin microfilter, but with my last service I ended up replacing with an OEM filter because the price difference for the generic microfilters wasn't enough to justify the saving. When it comes to the oil filter in particular, and for that matter the air filter, stick to OEM.

Appreciate 1
      04-14-2016, 08:37 PM   #5
WhiteBeard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I View Post
Just out of interest, are the OEM oil filters over there also generally cheaper than the "aftermarket" oil filters like they are here? The only filter that I think is truly madly priced where I am is the cabin microfilter, but with my last service I ended up replacing with an OEM filter because the price difference for the generic microfilters wasn't enough to justify the saving. When it comes to the oil filter in particular, and for that matter the air filter, stick to OEM.
I agree with you completely, OEM is the way to go. It's just where I live we don't have BMW dealership, have to drive to another town or order online and wait a week until it will be delivered (plus pay shipping charges). It's ok, no big deal - I'll do it anyway. It's just pain in the ... to do it. This was the only reason I went with FRAM since it was readily available at any local store. It's just when I decide to do something today, like change oil, I plan, I prepare, shop for oil, get my instruments ready, watch youtube DIY and then you find out you have to wait another week for that (until filter gets delivered) - it's just frustrating.

Last edited by WhiteBeard; 04-14-2016 at 08:50 PM..
Appreciate 0