E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Has anyone tried to get out of their lease?

04-07-2007, 08:50 PM   #1
FNV
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Has anyone tried to get out of their lease?

How difficult was it to get out of a lease. Do you have to go through BMW with regards to paper work?
Has anyone got out of their lease by buying another new vehicle and that dealer ended up take over the lease?

If anyone had any experiences with getting out of leases please advise.
Just curious to see how it works.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 09:36 PM   #2
wkjeepsrt8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

It can be tough.

I asked a similar question a few weeks ago. Scroll through a few pages and it should still show up.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 05:40 AM   #3
montrealm3
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

www.leasebusters.com

I just got out of a lease (2006 BMW 5 series with 16 months left).

350$!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 02:21 PM   #4
aspiring335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 40i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB View Post
How difficult was it to get out of a lease. Do you have to go through BMW with regards to paper work?
Has anyone got out of their lease by buying another new vehicle and that dealer ended up take over the lease?

If anyone had any experiences with getting out of leases please advise.
Just curious to see how it works.
You have a few options, the least financially damaging of which is to find someone to take over your lease (e.g. via www.leasebusters.com, as suggested above). In this scenario the party assuming your lease has to pass credit approval with BMW FS, and you both have to attend a dealership to sign the paperwork.

If you are trading up to another BMW, your dealer will usually buy out your lease, but often at a substantial cost to you (i.e. the difference between the amount owing on the lease and what they give you for the car as a trade). If you're near the end of your lease you can often reduce this liability to zero, but that's highly unlikely if you're only a few months into the lease. One of the advantages here is that the GST helps you -- i.e. the dealer can work with you on the amount net of GST, whereas if you're paying off the lease yourself your buy-out will be the amount owing plus GST.

Another option is to sell the car privately, at which time you can pay off the amount owing on the lease (pretty sure there is no penalty from BMW for doing so) and hopefully have positive equity (i.e. you sell the car for more than is owing on the lease). See my point above about GST, though, and keep in mind that if you are only a few months into the lease it's very unlikely that your car is worth more privately than is left owing on the lease.

Long story short: IMHO Leasebusters is best early on in the lease; private sale is best towards the end of a lease.
      04-10-2007, 07:35 AM   #5
FNV
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Thanks for the replies and good info.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 10:12 AM   #6
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

selling the car privately would probably be the quickest and easiest way but chances are you will DEFINITELY lose money. its very rare to have positive equity in a lease. I highly contemplated selling my car to carmax and paying off the lease, it would have been very simple, but i would have lost like 3k
Appreciate 0