E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Post suspension upgrade shimmy

08-16-2018, 11:03 AM   #23
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by allcaps55 View Post
About 3 weeks ago had them road force balanced. They mentioned that my rims had a couple bends but they "got the hop out" as they described for the most part. The shimmy is pretty much immediately triggered at 80mph
I had this same exact thing happen to me. Stock M sport 18" front wheels both had a slight bend to them that allowed them to be balanced the traditional way just fine. The vibration would only start to occur at higher speeds and would progressively get worse the faster I would go. After road force testing them, I was able to see exactly where the slight bend was and compensated with wheel weights to remedy it while I waited for my new wheels to come in. Once I put my new wheels on the problem went away.

Long story short, non-M E9x 18" wheels are pretty soft and have minimal tire sidewall protection from the factory. I see cars come in to our dealership all the time with bent wheels like this.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 06:16 PM   #24
Rob09msport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335 msport

Think your endlinks make sense the car settles and stresses the bar more to much toe can mess with you at high speed to
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 08:55 PM   #25
allcaps55
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapCoupe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by allcaps55 View Post
About 3 weeks ago had them road force balanced. They mentioned that my rims had a couple bends but they "got the hop out" as they described for the most part. The shimmy is pretty much immediately triggered at 80mph
I had this same exact thing happen to me. Stock M sport 18" front wheels both had a slight bend to them that allowed them to be balanced the traditional way just fine. The vibration would only start to occur at higher speeds and would progressively get worse the faster I would go. After road force testing them, I was able to see exactly where the slight bend was and compensated with wheel weights to remedy it while I waited for my new wheels to come in. Once I put my new wheels on the problem went away.

Long story short, non-M E9x 18" wheels are pretty soft and have minimal tire sidewall protection from the factory. I see cars come in to our dealership all the time with bent wheels like this.
Thanks for response! unfortunately new wheels are out of my budget at the moment so that'll be a late winter purchase assuming everything else holds up on the car
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 08:57 PM   #26
allcaps55
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob09msport View Post
Think your endlinks make sense the car settles and stresses the bar more to much toe can mess with you at high speed to
I've been thinking this might be it as well. Do you happen to have any suggestions for endlinks for a lowered set up such as mine? I've now gone through the stock ones, 2 pairs of mehle, and the hotchkis adjustable with them all failing within a week or two.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 09:55 PM   #27
Rob09msport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335 msport

Turner adjustable is what I use they use oem joints on threaded adjustable arm so have oem life like when at stock height and dont make noises or anything but set them to your needed length for no preload they got rid of my pops and clicks in parking lots
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 06:33 PM   #28
allcaps55
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob09msport View Post
Turner adjustable is what I use they use oem joints on threaded adjustable arm so have oem life like when at stock height and dont make noises or anything but set them to your needed length for no preload they got rid of my pops and clicks in parking lots
Just put turner adjustable links on and got an alignment and all I can say is thank god. The shimmy is gone along with the clunk!! I set the end links to almost 14 inches which was actually kind of a pain but now that they're on there the car is driving smoother than ever. Finally all the work that went into the suspension upgrade is being realized.
Appreciate 0