E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Exhaust modification in DMV area?

03-06-2018, 10:43 AM   #1
eyehategod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Xdrive (E92)

Exhaust modification in DMV area?

Hey All, I just bought a 2012 335i xdrive e92. Looking for a shop in the DMV area that can do some exhaust work for me. Honestly not even sure what I want, need some clarification on that. I was thinking about having the PE mod done, but I'm not even sure exactly what that entails, since it seems to change based on the model/engine? Also thinking about having catless DP's installed.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 06:21 PM   #2
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 440xi CPE BSM

I have your exact car. Only go see Brian Zury. www.zuryfabrications.com. Excellent work! Can't come more recommended.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 08:10 AM   #3
eyehategod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xi Beast View Post
I have your exact car. Only go see Brian Zury. www.zuryfabrications.com. Excellent work! Can't come more recommended.
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll give them a call about it. What would you recommend I have done? I was thinking either going catless DP and/or straight piping the muffler - but I've heard downpipes on xdrive can be super expensive/take forever to install, and also not sure exactly what to do for the PE mod, I think there's variations in what people have done?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 10:48 AM   #4
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyehategod View Post
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll give them a call about it. What would you recommend I have done? I was thinking either going catless DP and/or straight piping the muffler - but I've heard downpipes on xdrive can be super expensive/take forever to install, and also not sure exactly what to do for the PE mod, I think there's variations in what people have done?
My recommendation is to get a proven exhaust system that has no drone! I experimented first with straight pipes and small mufflers and has excessive drone. Switched from catless to catted cuz of the smell, Corsa exhaust and now I am very happy. I tried to fix the drone with resonators and rigging it with a quick fix but it didn't work. Brian will do whatever you want of course and his work is excellent but do the above and don't experiment with an unproven exhaust system. You will waste money and be unhappy.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 02:09 PM   #5
eyehategod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xi Beast View Post
My recommendation is to get a proven exhaust system that has no drone! I experimented first with straight pipes and small mufflers and has excessive drone. Switched from catless to catted cuz of the smell, Corsa exhaust and now I am very happy. I tried to fix the drone with resonators and rigging it with a quick fix but it didn't work. Brian will do whatever you want of course and his work is excellent but do the above and don't experiment with an unproven exhaust system. You will waste money and be unhappy.
If I did want to install downpipes (even aftermarket catted ones) what do you think I should expect to pay to have that done? I've heard it can take a couple extra hours on an xdrive to do it, and wasn't sure if I need to specifically find a BMW indy shop to do it.

Also I'll think about an exhaust system! I hadn't heard the straight pipe mod creates so much drone, a lot of people seem to be pretty happy with it. Ideally if I go for an actual exhaust system, I'd want an axleback because it's cheaper and I'm just looking for a good sound out of it - something on the deeper/rumbly side with some light crackles/pops
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 07:00 PM   #6
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyehategod View Post
If I did want to install downpipes (even aftermarket catted ones) what do you think I should expect to pay to have that done? I've heard it can take a couple extra hours on an xdrive to do it, and wasn't sure if I need to specifically find a BMW indy shop to do it.

Also I'll think about an exhaust system! I hadn't heard the straight pipe mod creates so much drone, a lot of people seem to be pretty happy with it. Ideally if I go for an actual exhaust system, I'd want an axleback because it's cheaper and I'm just looking for a good sound out of it - something on the deeper/rumbly side with some light crackles/pops
I chose the VRSF. $200 or so to install. My previous F30 I had Borla Atak, no DP and it sounded great. Just loud enough but with the DP it's too loud for me actually.

My next creation will be either Armytrix or Meisterschaft if I can wait that long. M4/M3 on the brain right now. See if I can stick with the stock exhaust for a bit. I've driven them before so instead of blowing my more cash on the exhause I might just stick with what's on it.
Appreciate 0